H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-13-2006, 07:51 PM

Susan is off the scale

It really did sound like a metal on metal kind of rattle. Honestly, I thought the horn bracket theory a while ago was much more plausible than a belt noise. I will definitely post back and let you know if it solved the issue. Mine started doing it at 30 miles on the odometer and it did get progressively longer in duration, which is what prompted me to actually take it over to the dealership.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:58 PM

Susan is off the scale

New belt seems to have fixed it. Three cold starts with no noise. EVERY cold start had the rattle prior to belt replacement. Now, how does a belt cause a rattle noise...no clue...but it definitely sounded like a rattle (metal on metal).
Old 01-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Something that happened to me a few years ago on my heep. My h2o pump bearings were going, causing a rattle. I was on the road at the time and just had the ability to tighten the belt - did that, sound went away, but 2 days later the bearings went. Tightening the belt made the sound go away, but not the problem. Maybe it's not the belt getting changed, but the belt being tightened down more by the dealer?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:33 AM

UNOMYFLO is off the scale

Susan great to know I have heard a belt make some strange noises in the past but never the metal to meatl rattle noise. I will get the belt replacerd annd llet you know.

But as you say it did it EVERY TIME and now its gone proof enough for me.

Thanks for taking the plunge on this one for all of us. Seems like GM used some crap belts since so many of us are experiencing this problem.
I might even go to NAPPA and get my own and replace it myself.

Thanks for the help and please let us know if the rattle rears its ugly head again.

Mike
Old 01-16-2006, 12:35 AM

Hey Susan can you tell me exactly what they did on the repair ticket?
did they clean the pullys and replace the belt?

Or was it just a belt replacement.

Thnx
Mike
Old 01-16-2006, 12:25 PM

Susan is off the scale

They cleaned the pulleys and replaced the belt. The tech said there was some 'contaminant' on the belt.

When I dropped it off they mentioned that some of the belt tensioners were not torqued correctly and that sometimes causes a noise. There is nothing about retorquing (sp?) on my ticket, but would they likely check that when changing the belt? That might be worth checking also.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:01 PM

DDiablo1 is off the scale

I would chek the oil level , It maybe be low and when it warms up the engine is lube, when is cold the oil is down , the oil has to work its way to all the components that might make noise...Check oil..

Jose
Old 01-20-2006, 06:20 PM

Oil level is fine, its the serp belt.

Getting it replaced and the pullys cleaned and the tourque checked on the tensioner also.

U
Old 01-23-2006, 07:58 PM

H3CAN is off the scale

My dealer is not accepting this solution...he does not beleive it is the belt...and since i cannot leave it overnight....I am stuck..anyone else got the same positive result by changing the belt...?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2006, 12:38 AM

Tell them to change the belt, there is a TSB on this issue. There were contaniments antifreeze that got on a ton of these and I too thought the noise could never be the belt and it was it could have been the tensioner bolt but the tech said it was fine he checked the torque. DEmand it or call GM and tell the dealer you will...they will change it. Leaving the trucvk overnight is crazy for a belt change. Shoot when I was down there I heard the new off the truck H3's doinmg the same damn thing on the way around the back to be prepped. Have them start a few that are cold on the lopt or better yet demand the belt change.

I thought I put the TYSB in my prev post for the TSb F5 can you help here?

Thats total BS for a 40 dollar belt.

WTF?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:31 PM

UPDATE:

It has been pretty warm here this winter SE GEORGIA.

This am it was 32 coldest it has been in weeks and since the belt change....the rattle is back...I do not feel the belt change and pully cleaning helped although they did say there were contaniments found on the belt and the pullys.

The rattle was also louder than ever, and it did the same ol.....once the truck was warm (and it took much longer even after the needle reached temp.) I also noticed the rattle changes loudness based on the throttle position...basically when I backed out of the driveway it got louder and changed the level of rattle as I applied the gas. Once down the street a bit it was gone.

I was standing on the pass side of the truck this am and now I have a hunch it might be a heat/exhaust shield under the truck. The reason I felt it was coming from the front of the motor (and it still might be this is all speculation at this point) is because I have always stood there and the way the under body cavity and contour is shaped (as in all vehicles) I think it is eminating from under the truck and the sound is traveling from under the body under the cavity for the transmission and out the underneath of the firewall into the engine bay like a megaphone.

I need to crawl under it this weekend as it is suppose to be cold. Every morning I have my dress chlothes on for work and it hasnt been an option.

Definately still there, definately cold and heat affected, goes away when truck is warmed up fully, which this am took much longer than normal.

I do not think it is internal in the motor. I need to get under the truck and check all the skids and all heat shields this weekend...

So bad news guys and gals I thought this was gone and to be honest it has been since the service 2 weeks ago, but again it got real cold here last night..

So I am still on the hunt for the location of the rattle and to stop it..

F5 Help! : > ) can you do some research on your GM computer to see if other techs have diagnosed the problem and fixed it?

The belt change did not fix it.
Thanks
UNO
Old 02-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

Bruce is off the scale

I was reading in the manual and under index engine .... i cant remember what page. but it actually said in there that you might hear a rattle noise from a cold start for a few minutes until it warms up and it will go away. So this could be the noise. I know everybody is pretty good here about helping and fixing things. But maybe the answer was in the manual the whole time and just overlookes.
I will get my manual out and find the exact page.
XM Radio
33\' Tires
Stainless Steel Brush Guard
Stainless Steel Side Tubs
LOVE IT.

!993 Corvette Red Pushing 400HP
Perfect Condition.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:03 PM

H3CAN is off the scale

Hi,

I still beleive it has to do with the fan/fan clutch and disingaging due to temperature (ambient and motor temp.)....does anyone have a manual that shows the cross section of how the fan clutch works ?

If the rattle is other than the clutch, it would not be temperature related....my opinion
Old 02-11-2006, 03:29 PM

After the belt change and the pullys being cleaned at the dealer a few weeks ago I still have it. I too believe it is the clutch fan mech. It is temp related and rpm related. Now when I fire her up and it has been colder here in GA when I back out of the driveway the rattle sound is closer together and gets louder 2 min into the commute to work it goes away. A good way to trouble shoot it would be to remove the assy and fire the truck up for a few minutes overheating wouldnt be a problem if ran for 2 min or so. I wonder if the clutch fans are defective...since this is not normal. I wonder how much the assy is I would like to get a price from advance auto if it is cheap I might replacre it to avoid the 4 hr round trip to the dealer..they might re-emburse me as I have a real good repor with the hummer manager...shoot I got a bruish guard fro free due to all the troubles I have had.

If I had time I would yank the clutch fan mech. I wonder if the fan shroud has to come off...probably so but it might be possible to remove the mounting bolts and work the fan and housing out...

The removel of the clutch fan is easy..just need the time.

I am going to call advance now and se if they have an app for a colorado or perghaps the H3 juts for my information....then I will call the dealer and tell them the rattle is not gone.

The encoder has resolved the stab light 4wd deal and the washer pump is replaced and working...if I can get this rattle to go away I am set.

Still love this truck..

UNO
Old 02-13-2006, 05:32 PM

Susan is off the scale

UNO,

Mine is back too...I can hear it backing out of the driveway. Please post what you find out about the fan theory.

I am going to do my best to just ignore it for now!

Susan
Old 02-13-2006, 06:09 PM

I hear ya Susan bummer right?

I do notice that since it has gotten real cold her 20's it is worse and 3 weeks ago it was in the 70's and not really there. I wonder if when the summer comes it will be gone but I hope to have it resloved by then.

I used my digital camera's video function to capture some audio of the rattle so I can post it here to see if we all have the same noise.

It is an mpeg now and I have to figure out on my mac how to extract the sound and save it as an mp3 in a size I can upload. I know if it was on a web page I could link it to a url but I do not have one, so I am going to try and isolate the audio portion only and upload it on this thread. I am also going to hopefully find the time to remove the clutch fan assy ne evening then fire up the H3 cold and see if the sound is gone. I will only let it run for a minute or so to make sure it does not overheat, this is the only way to truly rule out or in the clutch fan mech as the problem or not....I really feel that it is.
Hopefull I can get that audio uploaded in the next few days but things for me now are crazy.
20mo old and 5 mo old at home I work 9hr days then come home to relieve my wife she goes to sleep and works 11pm to 7am.

Take care Mike
Old 02-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

Has anyone been able to get this fixed yet?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:54 AM

H3CAN is off the scale

f5fstop...any ideas ?

Any TSB's about this ?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2006, 01:54 AM

I had the belt changed and the tensioner checked and the pullys cleaned and I still have the rattle.

I still think it is the water pump but have not confirmed this.

They want the truck overnight and hopefully it will be a clod morning when they check it as it does not do it when the outside temp is over 50 degrees.

I also noticed when looking and listening with the hood opened yesterday I have some oil weeping from the timing cover bolt...the one that you can see right above the crank pully bad thing is to either remove it to put some silicone on it and re-install it to stop the SMALL leak or even to tighten it is impossible without removing the pully from the crank as just half of the head is exposed......

I figure when the bulliten is sent for the 1pillar plastic pieces and the roof rails which I hear they are going to swap out all 4 I will take it in and leave it and get a loaner..have the rails replaced and hopefully they will not crack again once they are re-designed...I will have them hopefully hear the cold start rattle and have them pull the crank pully and put some silicone on the timing cover bolt to stop the oil weep which again is slight but shouldnt be there with 3K on the odo.

DOes anyone have the rattle other than a cold firt in the am start up or does anyone have it in a warm climate like sandiego?

In GA it can be 70 one morning and it wont do it then 2 days later it is 37 and it does it..again once warmed up it goes away totally but until warm the rattle will get louder if the rpm increases while backing out of the driveway 3min later gone...tired of it. I checked all shileds and almost everything I could think of and I am still drawn to the clutch fan mech.

I would love to hear from someone who has had it fixed...I would like to put it to rest once and for all.

UNO
Old 03-01-2006, 01:56 AM

Bruce I looked in the manual as you said about the rattle and found nothing ..got a page number?

I would love to read it.

I still think it is totally not normal to have it though.shouldnt be there..