H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H1

Old 12-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

raptor2ride is off the scale

Hello guys,
I have owened an H2 for a little over 2 years now. I have spent the past month watching H1's sell on ebay. Im very interested in moving up to the real deal. What are some of the mechanical things I should look for? The years I have been watching on ebay are 95-03. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by raptor2ride:
I have owened an H2 for a little over 2 years now...
Is "owened" like "pwn3d?

If you've owned an H2 for 2 years and you're actually thinking about an H1 let me be the first to tell you that(IMO) you probably won't like it. I recently drove an Alpha H1(again) for a few miles and it doesn't even begin to compare to an H2's comfort level. The driver's area is cramped and uncomfortable. Driving it is MUCH better than a non-Alpha, but still isn't anywhere near an H2. And the maintenance??? Forget about it.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

raptor2ride is off the scale

What do you mean by "maintenance"? Is there more than what you would have on an H2? More expensive?

I have never even driven an H1 so I have a lot of research to do. Im not sure if the dealer would just "let" me test drive a used H1 to see what I thought of it. Ive read where some people have said to stay away from certain years. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2005, 03:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

I too owned an H2 for a year and a half and now own a 97.5 open top. I love it. Nothing wrong with the H2 (very comfy as well as quite capable) but I was looking for something different, dare I say more fun? Yes, it's noiser. No, it's not as fast. Yes, there's a bit more maintenance involved. No it's not as comfortable (to some). And yes, I get thumbs up instead of rolled eyes and flip offs -- I'm in LA in the film industry, let's just say there are alot of hybrids and narrow minded people here.

If you are getting one to bling out and drive around the street, please don't. There are enough posers out there. If you need a car to make your dick bigger, get a Lamborghini. If you are wanting to off road, and not afraid of some dirt, scratches, and maybe some rock-rash then by all means you'll love it!

Now, about the maintenace. I'm sure others with more experience and know-how will chime in here, but here's my 2 cents: It's a damn military truck made to go 55 mph in a convoy...not 80 mph down the freeway! It's geared to go slow, it's 8000 lbs, it's hand built. Think of any other high priced, hand-built, low production number vehicle (Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lotus, etc...) I'm sure they spend far more time in the garage with far less miles. And they're not bouncing around in harsh evironments (I guess certain stretches of the 101 can be considered harsh).

So fluids have to be changed and components lubed more frequently than normal trucks. If the maintenace plan is followed, and you operate this machine properly, it will run forever -- see the HML's high mileage Hummer section, many are above 200,000 miles and several over 350,000 miles. Not many Lamborghinis can top that.

Ron B
Old 12-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

leenigen is off the scale

As far as maintenance, its really just the usual stuff. In my opinion most people with other vehicles don't do half the maintenance they should beyond oil changes so depending on what you are used to there may be the preception of more. Also, you'd better be able to do it yourself or have pretty deep pockets. The dealer will absolutly rape you for any repairs or mantenance. Besides doing it yourself really helps you learn about you truck.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Hummer Novice

Michael A is off the scale

Lots of people that have never had one think having a H1 would be fun (it is if you are very wealthy or are a capable mechanic) and I as well as the others that talk of maintainance and repair issues are not trying to discourage you.....But when it comes time to go on a test drive, stop by the service center with the owners manual and get prices on all of the scheduled maintainance items as well as a brake job, tire change/replacement, etc...

There's an old saying in the Jeep (CJ) community that kind of fits the Hummer H1 also. "Rides like crap, sucks down fuel, always leaks somthing, loud, expensive to fix, but other than that it's the most fun vehicle I've ever owned"
Old 02-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ground hawg is an unknown quantity at this point

I totaly agree with everything the other guys said. as you live not too far from me you could always bring it round here to do the wrenchin yourself. it's a lot cheaper to do it yourself alot more satisfying, and you know it's done right.

GROUND HWG
Old 03-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

I put thousands of rough miles on Marine HMMWVs in the early 90s in Camp Pendleton, 29 Palms, and the deserts in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. I own an H2 now. I had the luxury of driving the old "H1s" very hard without worring that I would have to pay for anything I broke. I was not able to break anything (except for a large military radio mount inside). I think the H1s are cool. Maybe the civilian ones are different, but they were also extremely high-maintenance. While I never damaged the H1s in the desert/mountains, and we drove them through chest-deep water (to clean them off before coming back), we had to regularly replace/fix various engine parts. Maybe the civilian ones are more reliable. I assume the Alpha is a significant perfomance improvement over previous years from what I've read. From my experience, the primary things H1 can do that the H2 can't are: (1) deep water and mud fording; and (2) driving the mid section over a 16" obstacle without putting your wheels on it or on some other high ground. The first one might be an advantage if you plan on doing that sort of thing or you expect a Katrina-style flood where you are. In my experience, the second once rarely comes up because, when off-roading, you generally put your tires on the high ground. Perhaps the H1s suspension is a little less prone to breaking under extreme forces, but I don't know for sure. If you want the "real deal" in terms of exclusivity, the H1 is probably for you, because very few are made. If you want extreme performance in a large vehicle that is also very exclusive by most peoples' standards, and don't plan on driving through a lake, you can spend about $60K, which includes a discounted 2006 Adventure Series, a 6" lift, front lockers, and some 38" tires. Check out some of the videos of what PhilD has done with that type of setup -- especially Tim's Rock, which hear has never been climbed successfully by an H1. Also, check out these videos:

http://www.hummer.com/popups/h1/h1_ditch.html

http://www.hummer.com/popups/h2/h2_ditch.html

The H2, IMO, actually does it better. Both vehicles have their advantages. The H2 is about $80K cheaper.

Quote:
Originally posted by raptor2ride:
Im very interested in moving up to the real deal.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Hummer Expert

Arizona Hummerboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a link about buying a used Hummer, there is a lot of good Information on it.

http://www.flashoffroad.com/features...uyingUsed.html