H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Hummer Novice

RoyalH3 is off the scale
Default Re: Wireless Start-Up?

Also, what do you guys use the remote starter for?
Black,Lux & Adv Package,Black Leather,Marker Lights,Black Grill,PIAA 525 Grill Mounted,Mini Grill Fog lights,Train Horn, American Racing black rims,33 off road tires,eclipse av30D,PS2 in glovebox,Ipod connection with video,Bluetooth speaker,Hard-wired radar detector,HID conversion kit,Air Intake,Gibson Exhaust System,Sirus Radio,Underbody Protection cage,Black fuel door cover,Roof Rails,Rubber floor mats,Texas flag on the back and supercharger coming soon
Old 10-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

H3HUMMER is on a distinguished road

I HERD OF TWO WAYS THEY PUT A KEY IN THERE SOMEHOW TO TRICK IT BUT MINE THEY DID NOT I HIT THE LOCK BUTTON TWICE AND IT STARTS.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalH3
Also, what do you guys use the remote starter for?

To start it when your not in the truck.

Seriously on a hot day it gets the truck cool before you get in.
And here in the northeast you can get the heat going on those cold days.

For those who have remote start with factory key fob.
Try hitting door locks twice from the switch on the door.Mine starts ,Im not sure if its hooked up wrong or different.I kinda like it comes in handy,soon as you hit the brake it shuts off(or 12 minutes).
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
No need for lojack.
Onstar has gps tracking

thats what I was thinking too, but, from what i have understood so far, onstar might not be able to get the signal if its in a grage or building or whatever, and apperantly they dont have good communication set up with law enforcement.

lojack apperantly can receive signal from building or garages, and is kindof operated by the police, kind of. Seems that the process of locating might go faster and smoother

What do you think?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
thats what I was thinking too, but, from what i have understood so far, onstar might not be able to get the signal if its in a grage or building or whatever, and apperantly they dont have good communication set up with law enforcement.

lojack apperantly can receive signal from building or garages, and is kindof operated by the police, kind of. Seems that the process of locating might go faster and smoother

What do you think?

Easy to check, park truck in a building or wherever and hit the blue on star button and ask them to check your location.They always seem willing to talk to you or answer questions.

Also with on star if you drive off the road and no ones around and the air bag goes off if you dont answer they will send help.Lojack cant do that.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Hummer Novice

RoyalH3 is off the scale

The place im dealing with says that you cant program the stock key fob to start the car?? Any ideas on what i should tell them besides i have a forum of people that have it?
Black,Lux & Adv Package,Black Leather,Marker Lights,Black Grill,PIAA 525 Grill Mounted,Mini Grill Fog lights,Train Horn, American Racing black rims,33 off road tires,eclipse av30D,PS2 in glovebox,Ipod connection with video,Bluetooth speaker,Hard-wired radar detector,HID conversion kit,Air Intake,Gibson Exhaust System,Sirus Radio,Underbody Protection cage,Black fuel door cover,Roof Rails,Rubber floor mats,Texas flag on the back and supercharger coming soon
Old 10-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

ON-STAR is satellite
Old 10-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Hummer Novice

RoyalH3 is off the scale

To put in my 2 cents on the lojack/onstar thing... H3's come with onstar standard so you, considering you pay the monthly fee, already have the onstar gps tracking. BUT, i do agree that i would feel alot better in having the lojack system just because thats all they are used for. They are designed to recover vehichles and nothing else, unlike onstar which it is a feature. Psh, you could do onstar and lojack and then laugh at people who try to steal your car
Old 10-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

Well it can be done i had mine for a year now.
If they do not know how go somewhere else other wise you will have problems.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

Well i pick ON-STAR any day over lojack
lojack is old school
Old 10-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalH3
The place im dealing with says that you cant program the stock key fob to start the car?? Any ideas on what i should tell them besides i have a forum of people that have it?

A good shop would look into it?.otherwise try a different installer that know newer cars and trucks.Good luck
Old 10-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

Nefarious is an unknown quantity at this point

To reprogram a factory remote, the shop needs to have a scan tool that can put the vehicle into BCM programming mode. There are some other ways as well, but the scan tool is the easiest. The whole process takes less than 5 mins for an installer that knows what he's doing.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

fourfourto's remote start with the factory key fob... works, I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but it's not reprogrammed. The remote start activate is hooked up to the door locks (either lock or unlock), looking for 2 pulses. Any installer would know what you mean if you told them this. I just don't like the fact that anyone can start your truck by hitting the locks twice!

IMO OnStar is just fine, I wouldn't get lojack. If you want more control, you can get something like the viper gps system. That way you can track your truck yourself over the internet or phone, turn it on/off, etc.. and get some vigilante justice if it's stolen. But of course it's range is limited just like OnStars.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3HUMMER
ON-STAR is satellite

Only thing transmitted via Satellite on Onstar is the signal from the GPS satellites to the Onstar module. Voice communications are via digital verizon network, and one 6.1 version modules and older, there is an Analog backup via Verizon.
When you place a call on Onstar you go out via the little black antenna that is attached to the black wart on top of the H3. The wart contains the XM and the Onstar GPS antennas. (Wart is the engineering term for the three-phase antenna. )
When you initiate a call to Onstar and ask for your location, the Onstar operator pings the Onstar module which has your location via the GPS system.

As for which is better. Lojack relies (or used to rely) on the local police having the equipment, which LoJack gave them to track. Smaller police departments did not have the equipment, so if the vehicle was stolen in the middle of nowhere (like Moab ), no way to locate the vehicle.
Onstar can locate almost anywhere there is voice communications via Verizon or one of their contracted service providers they offer for roaming.
If you are in a parking garage, you might be able to obtain cell service, but you will most likely lose GPS coverage. My Garmin, which is twice as sensitive as the GPS used in the vehicle, can't receive satellite coverage in a building with multiple floors or with metal/concrete ceiling, unless it is near a window or large opening. Near a large window or opening, the GPS might be able to get a signal from one or two satellites which will give your location pretty close.
Now, if Lojack has switched to GPS satellites, they will have the same limitations as Onstar.

Best feature of Onstar (versus first year free) is no special equipment is required by the Law, and the operators can track the police right to the vehicle. They also have a good reputation with the police. Onstar's range is only limited by the cell phone coverage, and with the older units (6.1 and older), with the capability of analog service, the coverage (until next year when analog goes completely away) is pretty darn good in the USA.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info on onstar versus lojack everyone! I desided not to get it installed, from what i understand from you guys onstar is capable to do the job.

on another note...

...what do you guys think of the Viper 5900 (p/n 5301V)MSRP $659.99? Its got an advertised range of one mile.

I had viper on one of my other cars and hadnt had a problem until last week, something wrong with the antenna, but installer changed it for free, no questions asked, and this is 2+ years after the install, so i was pretty happy. overall pretty happy with it, has responder tech but didnt have a remote starter.

Another issue i had is with the viper responder remote. It would drain the AAA battery in about a month, they replaced the first remote free but the new one they gave me is almost the same, maybe a little better. Is this what you guys are getting?

So what do you think of the above mentioned system, most likely with some other optional bells and wistles. What types of sensors or optional things would you recommend if any?
Old 10-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Hummer Guru

From my own experiences with my VIPER responder remote that I use everyday, one month is standard on an Alkaline, and about 5-weeks on a rechargeable. The one I keep sitting by my bed, lasts almost two months with a rechargeable. I have the backlight turned on as well as the vibrate, the one in the bedroom has only the beep turned on.
As with any battery powered item, the more it is used the faster it will drain. The installer told me they get about three-to-four weeks on a charge, depending on the settings, and how much use.
I use the Eveready "green" rechargeable for two reasons. They do last longer in electronic devices, and they are a lot cheaper in the long run. (I did some studies with my Garmin 60CSX. I got a steady 8 hours with alkalines with the backlit display on constantly, 14 hours with AA rechargeables...made me a believer.)
Talking with others who have the same type of responder remote, it seems one month is about maximum for alkalines.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

The DEI System from Circuit City is excellent. I had one in the Explorer I traded for my H3 and it ALWAYS worked. The bypass is all that is needed to work around the factory electronics issues of the system. I haven't had one put in the H3 yet, but I will before winter this year (soon).

I read some reviews on Circuit City's web site that some people needed to get a new key (unknown vehicle type). I am assuming this will not be the case with the H3 due to the use of the bypass module?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Hummer Guru

DEI makes Viper, Sidewinder, and a whole bunch more, and I have the 791XV installed and I did not require a new key in the H3. In addition, the stock passkey system still operates right along with the Viper system.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

No, the h3 doesn't need an extra key to bypass passlock, just resistors. Vehicles that require keys with the chips on them, is when you need an extra key to bypass.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhhh - very good news. Thanks. Less $$$ to spend