H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rear E-Locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzergod
Yeah, I think.

Actually, I wasn't refering to your reply. But, you jumping in kinda proves my point.

It is funny in that I wasn't comparing apples to oranges. I agreed with the original poster that you should be able to bypass the system and that his reasons for wanting to seem valid. The fact remains that even though "Hummers are more sophisticated vehicles", there should be a way to do it. And if the guy wants to, he'll find way. I bought a Lux/Adventure over the Rubi. I'm one of you guys. I just don't share in the elitist attitudes that stock vehicles (no matter how "sophisticated" they are) should remain stock because thats how our lord god Hummer wanted them to be. If there are improvements to be had by tinkering under the hood in the effort of better off-roading, I'm all for it. But, as stated, I was not giving f5 attitude for not giving it up. He is a valuable asset to this board and has helped me out. I would not want him to jeopordize his job over a questionable mod. (Least of all for somebody else instead of me .)

You guys are a trip. I suppose that if I wanted to crank on my torsion bars a couple of turns to run bigger than stock tires, you'd poo-poo it because it isn't how it came from the factory? Give me a break.

You need to see how some of you long timers come across sometimes. Holy crap!

You're kinda wordy aren't ya?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

yzergod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
So does that mean the Jeep guys are "cooler" than we are??

And you still have not address the need. Why when you have Traction Control and Stabilitrac?

Cooler, no (especially how you basically owned Moab on things the Jeep guys run away crying from ). A bit more open to sharing thoughts on improving factory stuff... maybe.

I'm no expert with sand, but Traction Control and Stabilitrac doesn't seem like it would be of as much a benifit as a locked rear in a 60/40 set-up. Snow and ice yes. Mud? Who cares... only rednecks play in mud.
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."
Old 10-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Hummer Veteran

yzergod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're kinda wordy aren't ya?

I'm at work and I get paid by the hour...
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."
Old 10-27-2006, 07:43 AM
Hummer Guru

It's designed to prevent driver error, it detects spin and sends power to the opposit wheel.

I've run sand, a little snow, and some serious mud (probably won't do that much). With the BFGs in sand and mud, it was awesome.

No worries. Only Sewie got stuck
Old 10-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Only Sewie got stuck

Good thing you were at the bottom to get pics.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
.....Geez, you guys are sure quick to jump somebody's ass if they don't follow the norm like sheep around here!

Who exactly is jumping on your ass?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

ChasH3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie

Hey, I saw that picture... I think Sewie was just taking a break he wasn't really stuck.....
Old 10-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Hummer Professional

Crash ? is on a distinguished road

I'm a LONG way from being an expert on much of anything.. But my observations in sand was that the H3 did much better in 4Hi Lock with the traction control turned off.. With the traction control on it kept feeling like the motor was bogging down.. In 4Lo I had plenty of power, but no speed.. 4Hi Lock with traction control turned off, the truck would stand up and go...

On the rear E-Locker... Eaton makes a locker thats designed to be used on the drag strip.. Granted we're not on the drag strip, but there's not a soul here putting 500hp to the rear wheels either.. If Eaton's will hold up on a 500hp dragster, GM should be able to make one that'll stand up to the power an H3 can dish out... Of course you think they'd make a Front diff that would hold up to though...

As far as being able to bypass the setup to get it to work, it shouldn't be to much of a problem for any decent mechanic that's familiar with electronic transfer cases and e-lockers.. Just remember that most decent mechanics do that kind of stuff to make a living.. You may end up having to drop a bit of change to get it done right..

Rob
Old 10-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:

Until I blew right past you.....

Old 10-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Until I blew right past you.....

Whatever SloMo....

And the video evidence does not support your crazy theory.

Last edited by Sewie : 10-27-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Whatever SloMo....

And the video evidence does not support your crazy theory.

Don't cry baby, we all know you're the best H3 wheeler
Old 10-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash ?
I'm a LONG way from being an expert on much of anything.. But my observations in sand was that the H3 did much better in 4Hi Lock with the traction control turned off.. With the traction control on it kept feeling like the motor was bogging down.. In 4Lo I had plenty of power, but no speed.. 4Hi Lock with traction control turned off, the truck would stand up and go...

On the rear E-Locker... Eaton makes a locker thats designed to be used on the drag strip.. Granted we're not on the drag strip, but there's not a soul here putting 500hp to the rear wheels either.. If Eaton's will hold up on a 500hp dragster, GM should be able to make one that'll stand up to the power an H3 can dish out... Of course you think they'd make a Front diff that would hold up to though...

As far as being able to bypass the setup to get it to work, it shouldn't be to much of a problem for any decent mechanic that's familiar with electronic transfer cases and e-lockers.. Just remember that most decent mechanics do that kind of stuff to make a living.. You may end up having to drop a bit of change to get it done right..

Rob

Damn, for enough money you can get anything you want. I would imagine that the Eaton locker on the drag car is considerably different than the Eaton locker (AAM Diff) that comes on the H3. Let's just compare apples to apples, and not to oranges in the future.
As for the technicians who do that for a living...take the damn H3 to them and have them to the bypass; I really don't give a flying rat's a** what you or your so-called technicians do with the rear locker.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:58 AM
Hummer Guru

Would ya just say it.....please.....let it fly...K??
Old 10-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

back on TOPIC, I'd like to get the e locker to work anytime too.

I was going to try it on the H2 before we got rid of it.

Always get tired of having to keep locking it in after blast through mud holes.

I also know how trucks w/ dual detriot locker drive on snow and ice, have to be a little careful on curves.

I'll have to see if my EFI live can clear codes in the H3, if it does, I'll just reset them after playing.
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:35 AM
Hummer Guru

Snow and Ice = Stabilitrac

Sand, Mud or loose soil = Traction control

For fcks sake

If you need a locker at those speeds, I'd venture you are over using it at lower speed too.

Please tell me what I am missing here???
Old 10-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah, I think.

Actually, I wasn't refering to your reply. But, you jumping in kinda proves my point.

You guys are a trip. I suppose that if I wanted to crank on my torsion bars a couple of turns to run bigger than stock tires, you'd poo-poo it because it isn't how it came from the factory? Give me a break.

You need to see how some of you long timers come across sometimes. Holy crap!

You need to read around the forums more

Lots of us have already cranked and many have 35's

Old 10-28-2006, 02:52 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you want to do ithis its probably not difficult at all. Just take a voltmeter and probe the wires out of the locker and see what their status is when in hi(unlocked), hi(locked), low(locked). Play around with diffrent settings and make sure you know what is what.

Locking the diff is probably the easy part, appliying votage where necesary. The other part of not setting codes is harder, but if im on the rite track it should be easy. Since you know what the voltages, resistance or what ever else may chage, just duplicate that condition on the wires going back to whatever is controling the locker, so that its fooled into thinking the locker is unlocked. Do this simulation with a battery or some electronic tinkering things .

I am not saying this will work, but if you are desperate its worth a try, and I personally (with my limited knowledge ) think it might work. However, as many have said you can ruin your locker (or something else) by using it when your not suposed to.

I personally would not have the locker engaged at any speed even on sand, snow, ice or whatever. I would just leave it to the TC, stabilitrack. The reason I say this is because engineers with far greater knowledge than most of us have designed this vehicle, and if they think it should be this way then im for it. Although lawyers might have had something to do with the engineering process. However you are your own person and you have your own truck so you have the freedom to do whatever you like (just remember GM will not be responsible for repairing any damage), thats why you paid for it.

If you actually do this and something, anything, goes wrong, dont be looking for me afterwards.

Oh and by the way, does the H3 have Traction Control and StabiliTrack, or just Traction Control?

Last edited by marin8703 : 10-28-2006 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:05 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

Quote:
Snow and Ice = Stabilitrac

Sand, Mud or loose soil = Traction control

For fcks sake

If you need a locker at those speeds, I'd venture you are over using it at lower speed too.

Please tell me what I am missing here???

At a HH they had a pretty tall steep muddy hill and said the H2s wouldn't make it up only H1s (H1 w/ wore tires couldn't even make it up).

I followed the lead H1, needed a little run but had a creek at the bottom so couldn't get much speed. low range everything locked TC on normal.
It kept pulling the engine down from all the slippage, still made it up but barely.
went down and tried it later after the stock H2's and one H1 couldn't make it up. turned to TC2 to allow slip and worked much better w/ more speed.
w/o locker it may not have made it. there was two of us running true mud tires (both of us made it), the others were stock TA, only way for them to make it was run on the sides where it wasn't muddy and not as step.

I like to decide when I want to run e locker not GM's lawyers.
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

Urban Ops is on a distinguished road

Old 10-28-2006, 04:03 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURAMAX TIM
At a HH they had a pretty tall steep muddy hill and said the H2s wouldn't make it up only H1s (H1 w/ wore tires couldn't even make it up).

I followed the lead H1, needed a little run but had a creek at the bottom so couldn't get much speed. low range everything locked TC on normal.
It kept pulling the engine down from all the slippage, still made it up but barely.
went down and tried it later after the stock H2's and one H1 couldn't make it up. turned to TC2 to allow slip and worked much better w/ more speed.
w/o locker it may not have made it. there was two of us running true mud tires (both of us made it), the others were stock TA, only way for them to make it was run on the sides where it wasn't muddy and not as step.

I like to decide when I want to run e locker not GM's lawyers.

TC 1 = 4hi lock ?
TC 2 = 4lo lock ?

Or is it the other way around?

When you have an H3 in 4lo lock, the stabilitrac system is disabled.
However, the traction control system still operates.

In 4hi lock, both systems are available.These system are "smarter" than an engaged e-locker.

I can't speak for an H2.

In that type of situation, I would venture to guess a locker would have swept the vehicle sideways at a higher speed.

Lawyers protect large companies from making really big mistakes.

It could also be that the system was tested to the point they knew Stabilitrac and Traction Control were the better alternative, both for people and vehicle components.