H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 06-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HD Torsion Bars have been ordered!!!

That would be correct. It is not really necessary to jack up the truck or pull off the wheels.

You can if you want.

The fronts are tough because of the fender liner. It's a knuckle buster
Old 06-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

6pack is an unknown quantity at this point

Do the Fox shocks need to be compressed to get on?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

trailerpup is on a distinguished road

The front Fox shocks will need to be compressed and kept compressed to install them. The are very hard to keep compressed. I used a large wire tie to keep them compressed. Put them in place and put the bottom bolt through then cut the wire ties and let the shock expand the bayonett up through the mounting hole. The rear are easier... Put the bolts in the upper mounts and compress by hand and push onto the lower mount. Now, the front "clips" are a different story. Good Luck. Post pics.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for the info. What clips?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

There is a stainless steel "clip" that is bolted to the front upper shock tower that keeps the Fox shock from rotating. If the clip is not used the shock could rotate and the piggy-back reservoir could come into contact with the upper A-arm during suspension cycling. The kit comes with 2 clips and 2 self-tapping bolts to hold the clip to the shock tower. The tower is double wall, so get out the 1/2 drill. This is why the front wheel needs to come off when you mount the front shocks, that and the fact that it is much easier to get the shock in there with the wheel removed. Hope this helps. Also, there may still be an issue with "leveling" the front end with the Fox shocks as they are not any, or not very much longer than the stock shock (we are still trying to come up with an extended length measurement for the front Fox shock. Sorry, I put mine in before checking (oops). Once the HD Torsion bars arrive, I will be cranking the front-end up. Time will tell if I stay with the front Fox shock, modify the Fox bayonet, or go with the Cognito shocks to allow for the increased suspension "droop" when the T bars are cranked. Hope this helps. Post pics (we are looking for a side by side shot of the Fox and, the stock shock at it's full extended length). This is gonna be good!
Old 06-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Crap. I started doing it this morning and it was just way to hot and humid so I took it to a local shop. I didn't give them the clips. Does the shock need to come back out to do it?

EDIT: I'm looking at the pic now. Looks like the stock is installed when the clip is put on. Good.

But I won't be able to get you a side by side pic of the two shocks. Sorry. I can give you a length of the stock one, though.

Last edited by 6pack : 06-30-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

The clips only need to used if you want to keep your shocks from being broken. See your instruction sheet. The clips can be put on after the shock is installed. But, you will need a 1/2 drill and will need to put something between the shock and the drill bit. The measurement that is needed is for the front Fox shock. So, no the stock shock length does no good. Lood Guck.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thank for all the help. I'm getting ready to go out an add the clips now.

Any tricks for replacing the torsion bars? I haven't received them yet, but would expect them within a few weeks.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pack
Any tricks for replacing the torsion bars?

Some of the details may be different for the H3, but here's an article on replacing the T-bars.

http://www.offroad-tech.com/tech/tb401/

Old 07-02-2007, 01:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks Sewie.

Clips are on. I got a reward for letting someone else do my work for me. The clanking I heard as I got close to home today, that I thought was the reservoir hitting the A-arm, was actually the passenger side, front shock itself banging all around! The nut and bushing that holds the top of the shock on was gone! The guy must not have cranked it down. So I got a replacement bushing and washer from him but it's not stock. Should I order up a replacement?

As a bonus, the bolt and nut that came from Fox with the clip did not match. The bolt was coarse thread and the nut was fine thread, and the bolt wasn't long enough anyway. :/ So after two trips to Home Depot I got the right length bolt, right thread nut and a lock washer for good measure. And the truck got a bath afterwards. Ready for the t-bars and shackles!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

After a few emails with Sam at Samco, it seems they gave me everything I needed. The fine threaded nut was for the shock and the coarse threaded bolt was a self-tapping bolt for the clip. Wish that would have been spelled out some with the instructions. A few extra words would have gone a long way to saving me a lot of aggravation.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

Sounds like you are set. Congrats. I like mine. Every once in a while I take a look under there to see my thousand dollar shocks!!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Hummer Professional

Idaho-Hummer is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerpup
Sounds like you are set. Congrats. I like mine. Every once in a while I take a look under there to see my thousand dollar shocks!!

So if you look under there to see your thousand dollar shocks, do tell us did they make a differnece in the ride of your H3 and was it good or bad. And what I am curious about is does it ride/handle better going down the dirt roads.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

about the same.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for your help trailerpup.

I do not notice any difference on the road. Maybe slightly stiffer. It will be a month or so before I have a chance to get off-road. But it is one piece of bling I like to see.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

good deal. We will see the difference when we put HD Torsion Bars on there. Just remember when anyone asks, that these Fox shocks are Bad ASS!!!

Last edited by trailerpup : 07-04-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

Oh yeah. And, it is real bling. Not like throwing some 20 inch spinners on there (not that there's anything wrong with 20 inch spinners). By the way, a little birdie told me that I can get Russell stainless brake lines for the Hummer H3 through Jegs. Here I go. Keep the shiny side up!

Last edited by trailerpup : 07-04-2007 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:40 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think you are going tonotice much of a difference until you heat them up, or are trying to correct a basket ball effect from turning up the bars.

You'll notice a difference on washboard roads, and everyone behind you will get smaller and smaller
Old 07-04-2007, 05:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

Hummbebe wrote: "I don't think you are going to notice much of a difference until you heat them up, or are trying to correct a basket ball effect from turning up the bars. You'll notice a difference on washboard roads, and everyone behind you will get smaller and smaller"

She's right! Sorry. These nitrogen charged Fox shocks will really show their worth when they heat up. The piggy-backs also allow the shock to run more juice as well. You will notice much less fade and greater damping at increased rates. They really are designed for "high speed - desert racing" and, I would imagine, "all-day rock crawling" - where a normal shock would start start losing its mojo!

We are still attempting to find the actual "bottom of lower top bushing washer to center of lower eye hole measurement. If I remember correctly they were another 1/2 to 3/4 inches longer than the stock "adventure" package shocks that they replaced on my rig.

I was still considering a switch to the Cognitos when I crank my bars. However, I am going to wait until Sam brings Festivus in the Summer to some of us who have the SAWs on order. My rear shackles only add 3/4 inches of lift in the rear. My 35's stuff all the way, even at stock height up the front. I am only going 1.5 - 2 inches higher in the front (I kinda like a little of the "stink bug" look - so shoot me). I'm hoping with the Fox shocks on there the front end won't go all Payton on me when I start crankin'.

And, I should add that the with the Fox shocks I did notice a little difference on the Road... a little bit less roll and a somewhat-firmer ride... a greater sense of stability, if nothing else. Maybe not a thousand bucks worth, but that's not why I got them. Like H-bebe alluded to, I'm building my rig for the desert. And, combined with the SAWs I am looking forward to a having a can't lose combo. I should also say that I am having Deaver build me a 7 leaf progressive packs for the rear. Hopefully this will all help me keep it off the roof.

Just my 2 cents. And, apologies - I will put more thought into my posts in the future.

Hope this helps. Let the flaming begin!! Peace!

Boy, I just love those dancing bananas!

Last edited by trailerpup : 07-10-2007 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:28 AM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

What are SAWs?