H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 08-24-2006, 07:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

MountainBlue is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up tuning software for the H3

I found this looking around on some chevy colorado sites

hptuners.com makes tuning software for GM's including the H3. From browsing some of their tuner forums about the I5 engine, there's A LOT more power locked up in there! It's very involved tuning, not for the novice. But you can control all aspects from shift points to cam position to fuel management to torque mangement. All you need is a laptop and their OBDII interface and software. Their basic pkg. is $499, more if you want to input aftermarket sensors like wideband af/r and egt gauges. Which are recommended to get the most out of it.
Volant intake, Airaid TB spacer, Custom down pipe, Magnaflow dual Exhaust, NGK iridium plugs, Nitto TG -AT295/75/16, Brush guard, tail light guards, mud guards, Chrome Shorty Antenna & bracket, Chrome lower punch grill & lettering, Chrome side moldings, smoked side marker lenses, 3-D Hummer hitch plug, Body color spare cover, & of course DEBADGED!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tuning software for the H3

Most of that tuning should be performed while doing dyno runs. We used to spend days in TN, with Vettes, doing LS1 edits.
If you hold to basic shift points and shift pressures, dyno is not required, but when you get into cam phasing, fuel management, etc., it can cause some very bad results.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

TomV is off the scale

I would love to modify the DBW response.. hate the slow rev drop when upshifting
Old 08-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Most of that tuning should be performed while doing dyno runs. We used to spend days in TN, with Vettes, doing LS1 edits.
If you hold to basic shift points and shift pressures, dyno is not required, but when you get into cam phasing, fuel management, etc., it can cause some very bad results.

Oh yea, it shouldn't be done by a novice or out on the street. Like I said, I browsed the forums section and there are a ton of ajustments that could be made, a lot of them with negative outcomes. I wouldn't attempt to do any of it myself, but will be keeping an eye out for a good tuner that has experience with their software. But at least we have a real tuning option for the H3, especially for those that have the rancho kit and 37" tires. And you can correct your speedo with it!
Volant intake, Airaid TB spacer, Custom down pipe, Magnaflow dual Exhaust, NGK iridium plugs, Nitto TG -AT295/75/16, Brush guard, tail light guards, mud guards, Chrome Shorty Antenna & bracket, Chrome lower punch grill & lettering, Chrome side moldings, smoked side marker lenses, 3-D Hummer hitch plug, Body color spare cover, & of course DEBADGED!
Old 08-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

nelsonperformance.com has a tune for the H3. Here is an email I got from them:

Hi, the tune is $490 and we include free updates forever!
No it wouldn?t void the warranty.

The dealer and their tools will never know the tune is in the vehicle.
We build our tunes from the stock calibration and the dealer doesn?t have the ability to see the changes.
They can only do full flashes.

We tune all GM trucks 96 and newer.

You can expect some nice torque gains and increased mileage.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Hummer Guru

We build our tunes from the stock calibration and the dealer doesn?t have the ability to see the changes.

Generally the statements above are true. The dealer can only do full-flashes, which would over write the tune. Only exception would be if you had a problem car, and they called in a field service engineer who had the program downloaded and sent back to MI for a programmer to look at. Doesn't happen much, but it can happen. So, if someone had a serious problem, the programmer should revert it back to the original program.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:29 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

I've got EFI live for our vette and Duramax trucks, Ross at EFI is working on the I-6 right now so hope the 5 isn't too far behind.
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:52 PM
keliente

So no one offers tuning for H3's except Nelson's, which is $490?

I don't sponsor this site so I won't mention the name, but we have been doing tuning for Trailblazers & Colorados now with much success (in addition to our other GM tuning)...perhaps we should look into H3's seeing as our prices are less than a third of that
Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzH3
nelsonperformance.com has a tune for the H3. Here is an email I got from them:

Hi, the tune is $490 and we include free updates forever!

We tune all GM trucks 96 and newer.

You can expect some nice torque gains and increased mileage.

If you understand how to do the tuning you'll know what to look for. With a Tech 2, I could tell if the programming is altered in about 1000 feet. Unless the tech has a reason to use the Tech 2, suspects a different program, and knows what to look for, you're safe.

I know Allen fom Nelson Performance. He has been programming for a while. We tested his programming for an article (i.e., mail tune) versus an in person tune and Allen did pretty well.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyHighPerformance
If you understand how to do the tuning you'll know what to look for. With a Tech 2, I could tell if the programming is altered in about 1000 feet. Unless the tech has a reason to use the Tech 2, suspects a different program, and knows what to look for, you're safe.

I know Allen fom Nelson Performance. He has been programming for a while. We tested his programming for an article (i.e., mail tune) versus an in person tune and Allen did pretty well.

You could, but 99 percent of all the techs out there can't or won't. They are working against the clock and hopefully, they will fix the problem.
My experience with pre-made up programs is they don't do a dang thing. The only way to go is with a custom program by a reputable programmer, or with some vehicles, spend a day on a dyno with an LS1 edit sitting on the passenger seat, or on the lap of the programmer.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:47 AM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
You could, but 99 percent of all the techs out there can't or won't. They are working against the clock and hopefully, they will fix the problem.
My experience with pre-made up programs is they don't do a dang thing. The only way to go is with a custom program by a reputable programmer, or with some vehicles, spend a day on a dyno with an LS1 edit sitting on the passenger seat, or on the lap of the programmer.

I agree!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

JWSchmidt3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a guy around DFW, very reputable from the Corvette world, can tune the H3 for $400. I plan to have mine done soon.

BTW, the dealer claimed to have correctly set my odometer (with my 35's) with a "Tech 4"??.
2004 yellow Corvette Z06
2002 black LPE blown TigerShark Z06
http://public.fotki.com/JWSchmidt3/
Old 08-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchmidt3
I know a guy around DFW, very reputable from the Corvette world, can tune the H3 for $400. I plan to have mine done soon.

BTW, the dealer claimed to have correctly set my odometer (with my 35's) with a "Tech 4"??.

Funny, my dealer said is was not possible for them to correct the speedo for larger tires.