H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-01-2005, 05:55 PM

1COOLH3 is off the scale

I'm not usually one to bitch and complain about little things like rattles but I have one in my dash thats almost enough to make me drive into a tree.

It's a quick tap tap tap (like morse code)in the upper right side. I thought it sounded like a wiring harness in the A-pillar so I took the trim off and isulated the wires- noise is still there. Next I dropped the glove box door and either insulated or tie-strapped any loose wiring I could reach in the dash- noise is still there.

The strange is thing is it doesn't do it all the time - it has to be cold (under 60 degrees) and usually I have to hit a big bump first to make it start. Once it starts it doesnt stop- like it has to get knocked loose first.

I took it to my dealer but if course it wouldn't do it for them.

Anybody else have a similar condition?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:55 PM

1COOLH3 is off the scale

I'm not usually one to bitch and complain about little things like rattles but I have one in my dash thats almost enough to make me drive into a tree.

It's a quick tap tap tap (like morse code)in the upper right side. I thought it sounded like a wiring harness in the A-pillar so I took the trim off and isulated the wires- noise is still there. Next I dropped the glove box door and either insulated or tie-strapped any loose wiring I could reach in the dash- noise is still there.

The strange is thing is it doesn't do it all the time - it has to be cold (under 60 degrees) and usually I have to hit a big bump first to make it start. Once it starts it doesnt stop- like it has to get knocked loose first.

I took it to my dealer but if course it wouldn't do it for them.

Anybody else have a similar condition?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

FishnMan is off the scale

"Under 60 degrees is cold?? LMAO It's not cold here until it gets below zero. The only rattles I hear are my teeth chattering while I wait for teh H3 to warm up (which it does quite nicely).

Anyway, Sorry,..... I just couldn't resist!
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2005, 12:30 PM

1COOLH3 is off the scale

Good point- I should have said "cool outside".

I live in Michigan so I understand cold- I rode my snowmobile when it was -22 last year. I won't do that again!
Old 12-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

I have found a lot of interior rattles are actually on the outside. Check for stuff in the engine compartment, or even the antenna being slightly loose. That could cause a rattle in the right area of the dash. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

Mike B is off the scale

I had a rattle right after I purchased the H3, but figured out that it was some keys I had put in the center console. Keys gone--sound gone. Anything in your center console that could be vibrating?
Old 12-02-2005, 05:21 PM

1COOLH3 is off the scale

Nope- nothing in the console, glove box or map pocket in door.

I will check the antenna and under the hood but it sounds like plastic tapping against plastic. It's probably something way up inside the dash thats impossible to get to without pulling the dash out.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone on another thread said something about lines behind dash held in with clips and clip popped off.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

Mine makes a creaking noise from the upper right behind the dash while turning left. It's going back to dealer for them to check that rattle and others. Will post when I know more.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:25 PM

WPBGUY is off the scale

Easy fix!
TURN THE RADIO UP!!!!!
I don't hear any noises!
Mine used to make a noise on the roof on the left center, like something loose, I just keep the radio up loud, so it does not bother me!

XM 81 BPM!!!!Full Volume!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:56 PM

1COOLH3 is off the scale

I finally got the rattle fixed!

I work at a GMC/Buick dealership and I got tired of taking it to the HUMMER dealer only to be told there was nothing wrong.

I had one of our techinicians look at it and after about an hour of taking off interior trim and the outer A-pillar trim he found the noise was coming from a body seam pinch weld. It was a popping sound from inside the A-pillar so he sprayed lubricant inside the pillar and the noise is gone. Apparantly the the body seam at the pinch weld was shifting and making the noise.