H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H1

Old 09-25-2005, 10:38 PM

Tret is off the scale

My brother wanted me to do him a favor and find him a new set of tires for his h1. He was looking for either some "swampers" or the good year tires the hummers use in the army. So, I was wondering where would be the best place to find the tires online?
Old 09-25-2005, 10:38 PM

Tret is off the scale

My brother wanted me to do him a favor and find him a new set of tires for his h1. He was looking for either some "swampers" or the good year tires the hummers use in the army. So, I was wondering where would be the best place to find the tires online?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:56 AM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

What size rims? The tires will vary depending on which rim size he has currently.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:21 AM

Tret is off the scale

There 17 ctis rims.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:15 PM

GBergie is off the scale

Stay away from Swampers unless you like tire whine (very loud) I have Swampers on my new H-1 and can't stand the noise.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:24 PM

Tret is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GBergie:
Stay away from Swampers unless you like tire whine (very loud) I have Swampers on my new H-1 and can't stand the noise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL My brother bought some tires and they are swampers.
O well, anyways he's trying to find a tire shop in so cal that can install the tires onto the hummer. He literally went 25 different tire shops and noe one place can install the tires.
He doesn't want to take it to the hummer dealer because they want to charge him $800 dollars for the installation charge.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Hummer Expert

Unless he has the runflats in his tires, any 4x4 shop that sells 38" tires can mount and balance them.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:09 AM

Tret is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beastmaster:
Unless he has the runflats in his tires, any 4x4 shop that sells 38" tires can mount and balance them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The tires on his car come with runflats. Now what?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Hummer Expert

Well, then your brother is in for a fun ride.

There are two types of factory 17" rims. Each uses different setups to mount and dismount tires....

If your brother has two piece CTIS rims (they look like this: http://www.flashoffroad.com/features...Piece-alum.jpg), he's got to have someone:

1) Deflate the tire (very important! I've seen the nasty aftermath of two split rim accidents. One was fatal, the other was not but put a rim sized hole in a roof). Remove the tire/rim combination from the vehicle.

2) Unbolt the perimeter 20 bolts that hold the two pieces of the rim together.

3) Pry the two halves apart

4) Take a runflat compressor (http://store1.yimg.com/I/breggin-ent..._1865_12189431), a face shield, gloves, and a prybar (depending on which runflat compressor you have). Strap the unit around the runflat, start ratcheting.

It will look like this:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/breggin-ent..._1865_12329263.

Then take the runflat out of the tire using prybars.

Reinstall by reversing the procedure. It takes me (by myself) about 2-3 hours to take apart one tire and put it back together. This excludes balancing. This is why I run beadlocks only, no runflats.

If your brother has standard 1 piece rims (they look like this:http://store1.yimg.com/I/breggin-ent..._1865_26782322): the procedure is as follows:

1) Deflate the tire. Remove tire from the vehicle.

2) Break the beads on both sides of the rim. Move the outer tire bead away from the flange so that only one tire bead is holding the tire in place.

3) Use blocks, bricks, or something to hold the tire up so that you can see the runflat.

4) Remove the retaining screw and washer that holds a locking clip into place.

5) Remove the crossbolt that holds that half of the runflat together. You need a 13mm box wrench to do this. Retain the crossbolt and two square nuts that sit inside the runflat.

6) Repeat steps 4 and 5 on the other half of the runflat.

7) Remove the runflat components from the tire.

8) Remove the other bead from the flange to free the tire from the rim.

To reinstall - reverse steps 1-8. There is a cam type runflat as well that does not require the need for as much tools, but there isn't too many that have that type of runflat.

This rim (with the proper tools and a tire machine) takes about 4 hours of time for me to do (by myself) each tire. This does not include balancing.

Now you know why they want so much for installation. If he has the one piece rims, he should be able to find a shop that can do it.

If he's willing to travel a bit, have him call Terry and Lynn McClanahan at American Outfitters. 800 4X4-HUMMER, or 619-670-4268. They do all of the Air National Guard and Marine Corps Humvee work...and they do good work.

You can also call Mike Sabrese at Cerritos Hummer. Mike does good and fair work. 562-865-3880.

Hope this helps!
Steve
Old 10-06-2005, 02:55 AM

Tret is off the scale

Thanks

He has the 2 piece CTIS wheels. Quick questions is it possible to reinstall the tires without the runflats?
Old 10-08-2005, 02:12 AM
Hummer Expert

Yes. My spare tire (2 piece 12 bolt 16.5 military rims) does not have a runflat.

The 2 piece rims tend to come with either a beadlock or a beadlock/runflat.

The good thing is that the 17" rims and their corresponding tire uses a safer bead angle, so you can run them without a runflat.

If it's the rubber runflat, and he's tossing his existing tires, you can sawzall the old tires apart around the runflat and he can sell the runflat on EBay.

-Steve