H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

NM H3 is off the scale

I know this discussion is all over the boards, and I have read each and every thread. My question, being an automotive idiot (other than buying my HUMMER), is "Will putting an air intake kit onto my H3 make it sound like a Honda?" and "Is any brand truly better than another (Volant, K&N, Airaid)?"
Old 12-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

NM H3 is off the scale

I know this discussion is all over the boards, and I have read each and every thread. My question, being an automotive idiot (other than buying my HUMMER), is "Will putting an air intake kit onto my H3 make it sound like a Honda?" and "Is any brand truly better than another (Volant, K&N, Airaid)?"
Old 12-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

To make it sound like a Honda, you need to install a large coffee can in the rear of the exhaust; commonly called a Fart Can.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:08 PM

WPBGUY is off the scale

I have installed the AiRaid intake and throttle body spacer. It now Growls and whistles!
No Farts though!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:13 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WPBGUY:
It now Growls and whistles! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whistles = good?

Old 12-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

I have installed the AirAid system. At normal throttle and cruise, no real noticable difference. On full throttle you can here the intake growl. It is louder than the SMA exhaust on full throttle.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WPBGUY:
I have installed the AiRaid intake and throttle body spacer. It now Growls and whistles! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Whistles? is that from the throttle body spacer? Did you notice a difference with the spacer? If it does whistle that would suggest a leak.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BABHUMV:
I have installed the AiRaid intake and throttle body spacer. It now Growls and whistles! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Whistles? is that from the throttle body spacer? Did you notice a difference with the spacer? If it does whistle that would suggest a leak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A whistle is not a leak. One site even mentions the whistle "means it's working".

http://www.airaid.com/pdf/200-585.pdf

Originally, I was thinking about getting the throttle body spacer when my H3 comes. But I don't want a whistling sound.

I'll probably just do the cold air intake and exhaust.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:09 PM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BABHUMV:
I have installed the AirAid system. At normal throttle and cruise, no real noticable difference. On full throttle you can here the intake growl. It is louder than the SMA exhaust on full throttle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for the update on the sound.
Good to know.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:47 AM
Steve - SanJose

I have installed the AirAid system. At normal throttle and cruise, no real noticable difference. On full throttle you can here the intake growl. It is louder than the SMA exhaust on full throttle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BABHUMV,

Yea I drove the local dealers pimped H3 with both SMA intake and SMA exhaust and I thought the noise from up front (intake) was a bit loud and not very pleasant sounding. I'm leaning towards just doing the SMA exhaust and leaving the intake stock. From what I've read on this forum the benefit and filtration of some of these aftermarket intake systems seems questionable.

Are you still happy with your SMA exhaust system?

Happy H3-ing.

Steve
Old 12-04-2005, 02:51 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve-SanJose-H3:
Yea I drove the local dealers pimped H3 with both SMA intake and SMA exhaust </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was this at SV Hummer? Stevens Creek or LG?

Old 12-04-2005, 02:58 AM
Steve - SanJose

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sewie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve-SanJose-H3:
Yea I drove the local dealers pimped H3 with both SMA intake and SMA exhaust </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was this at SV Hummer? Stevens Creek or LG? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes SV Hummer - LG location (both under same ownership). It was a black H3 with 20's. I think it has since been sold. They recently had another black one with similar equipment plus nav and lowered 2 inches.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

sltbluh3 is off the scale

I've have added the sma cold air intake, air raid throttle body spacer and the sma exhaust. I test drove a std h3 and an h3 that has these add ons at the dealer before i bought my h3. They do make a difference. I've got over 5600 miles since sept 12th. back and forth to work 35 miles one way country some city and express way driving. I'm getting 18.6 to 19.5 mpg. No whistle noise, deffinately louder. I'm running a slate blue, luxury pck, chrome pck, chrome step tubes and chrome rims.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:06 AM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are you still happy with your SMA exhaust system?

Happy H3-ing.

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes still very happy. One way I know the sound is just about right is that my dog is now waiting at the door for me, he now equates the noise with me coming home. With stock exhaust, I could sneak up on him.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:04 AM

WPBGUY is off the scale

The SMA and AiRaid intakes are the same thing. It uses you existing box without the cover. They say it keeps heat out with the cold air dam. Well, I have a carchip in my H3 and it says with the Airaid intake there is a 20 degree increase in air temp after the engine heats up. With the factory filter and cover there is only a 2 degree increase in air temp?