H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Remote Starter / Alarm systems.

I stopped over at Circuit City this evening. For the $300 remote starter, they told me I would need the bypass and a special key. Two weeks ago, they told me I would need the bypass but no key. They also said that the installation would make my dash alarm light stay permanently lit while the starter was on. Does someone not know what they are talking about???

So which model gives me good range, defrost control, and a/c control?

I defer to you, the experts, versus the Circuit City "pros".
Old 10-25-2006, 05:05 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Remote Starter / Alarm systems.

i just got the Viper 5900 installed. It gives you most options (if not all)and 1 mile range (advertised), but is a bit pricey, at least for me. Its about $600 installed, but i got some extras with it and got it up to $780.

No extra key was required, and i dont think the installer even used a bypass module. I think he just used a ton of relays to get around the passlock, which i beleive in the H3 is Passlock II (not totaly sure).

Last edited by marin8703 : 10-25-2006 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3.007
I stopped over at Circuit City this evening. For the $300 remote starter, they told me I would need the bypass and a special key. Two weeks ago, they told me I would need the bypass but no key. They also said that the installation would make my dash alarm light stay permanently lit while the starter was on. Does someone not know what they are talking about???

So which model gives me good range, defrost control, and a/c control?

I defer to you, the experts, versus the Circuit City "pros".

Tards, tards, and more tards!!! You only need a spare key for transponder based security systems of which the current H3 and H2 do not have (some gm's have been switching over to the passkeyIII system which is transponder based). The security light in the dash should never light up constantly when the system is installed by professionals. Now you know where NOT to have the system installed. $300 is a reasonable price for a starter and bypass module installed. AC control will be standard, while defrost can be done remotely, but you will need to use the newest bypass/integration modules that offer that feature. The system marin referred to is a nice unit to look at.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Hummer Expert

Thanks for the input guys - I am seeking other installers at this time. It is too bad in a way - I had them install my starter in my Explorer 3 years ago without incident.

I wonder if they thought they could take me for extra cash, due to the fact that I am driving a H3.

Last edited by H3.007 : 10-25-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Hummer Authority

Hey can someone tell me if the H3 has a wire that can be pulsed to disarm the factory alarm, and a wire to rearm the factory alarm? Can you tell me where to find these wires and what color they are?

And also where would i get an open door triger?

Thanks alot for any help!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:46 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
Hey can someone tell me if the H3 has a wire that can be pulsed to disarm the factory alarm, and a wire to rearm the factory alarm? Can you tell me where to find these wires and what color they are?

And also where would i get an open door triger?

Thanks alot for any help!

do you guys think this info will be in the h3 service manual? im thinking about buying it.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Hummer Expert

Ok, so I have Circuit City install the DEI Viper Starter/Door Kit (nobody else could do it before January). After they are done, the results are:

1) It starts fine using the DEI kit, BUT;
2) You must always use the DEI remote. If you lock it using the factory FOB and try to start it with the DEI FOB, it starts but the alarm goes off.
3) Using the DEI FOB does not arm the alarm.
4) The padlock security light on the dash does stay on when the vehicle is remote started, even after the key is inserted. One must turn the vehicle off with the DEI FOB and then turn the vehicle back on with the key to get rid of this light.
5) Installer said he had to use the auxillary port on the DEI starter to run the bypass so the rear defrost does not work. He said he could try a separate bypass, but I'd have to go back for that. And he said it may not work due to the wire pulse, etc. etc. etc.

While it works, I am not sure this is the system to go with due to the various compromises.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok, so I have Circuit City install the DEI Viper Starter/Door Kit (nobody else could do it before January). After they are done, the results are:

1) It starts fine using the DEI kit, BUT;
2) You must always use the DEI remote. If you lock it using the factory FOB and try to start it with the DEI FOB, it starts but the alarm goes off.
3) Using the DEI FOB does not arm the alarm.
4) The padlock security light on the dash does stay on when the vehicle is remote started, even after the key is inserted. One must turn the vehicle off with the DEI FOB and then turn the vehicle back on with the key to get rid of this light.
5) Installer said he had to use the auxillary port on the DEI starter to run the bypass so the rear defrost does not work. He said he could try a separate bypass, but I'd have to go back for that. And he said it may not work due to the wire pulse, etc. etc. etc.

While it works, I am not sure this is the system to go with due to the various compromises.
Wow H3.007 that sounds rather complicated and painful. I am wondering if you emailed DEI these 5 items if they could confirm for you if it is connected properly. Let us know what model Viper they installed, and what DEI says if you decide to drop them an email. (Note: it sometimes takes them awhile to respond to emails.)
Old 11-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

It's obviously installed incorrectly, you should've waited a little longer to find a decent installer.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Hummer Expert

Winter would have been half over by the time any of the other shops could have scheduled.

Regardless, I have left a vouicemail from DEI. Their website has no email address or link listed. If you have their email address, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Winter would have been half over by the time any of the other shops could have scheduled.

Yeah, but now you have a crippled truck for the rest of it's life and it's going to cost at least the same to get it fixed as it did to install! Depending on how snobby your local installers are, some won't even try to fix it, they'll charge you to remove it, buy another one and install it. Should've waited!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Hummer Authority

this is an example why you should do the install yourself, even if you have only a little knowledge of electronics.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Hummer Expert

I am not going to entertain an argument here.

Can you spell warranty (i.e. you can not do it yourself or you void the warranty) and negligence (re: "certified" installer - but perhaps not for long)?

It isn't crippled, it just doesn't work specifically like it should.

Does anyone have some constructive feedback? And that email address at DEI?

Old 11-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does anyone have some constructive feedback? And that email address at DEI?
I know what you mean about some online who are constantly offering nothing of value.

H3.007 the last time I emailed DEI their web site had a web form. The web form sent me a copy back with a case number, and it had this address in the cc: arlene.watson@directed.com.

If that web form is still on their site, I cannot find it. This page http://www.directed.com/contact/suggestion.asp said if you want a reply include your email address.

I wish you the best in getting your H3 and Viper sorted out.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Hummer Guru

Nothing of value?! He was advised not to goto Circuit City, he acknowledged Circuit City installers weren't very bright. I already told him what he wanted to know -- no, it is not functioning properly. What more do you want? DEI to tell you the same thing? If you ask questions, at least accept the answers, even if it's not what you want to hear.

BTW - The warranty is not affected, even if you install it yourself. Not sure where you got that from. It has to be proved that what you did caused the problem you try to get warranty work on. And if you can wire up an alarm that will crack your plastic roof rails and bust a diff, that would be... interesting.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Hummer Authority

hey H3.007, sorry about "not" being helpful before but i'll give it a shot cauze im a nice person.

>>What system do you have, the model number?
>>I assume you have told these 5 things to CircuitCity, what was their response, and did you demand them fixed?
>>You said you left DEI a voice mail? Was the number you called 1-800-876-0800, or 1-760-598-6200? Why leave a voice mail, they have support techs?

And I do agree with dеiтайожни that you should have done more research on the installer. Some installer sure have the shops and attitude like a competent installer, but dont be fooled, go only on references from friends and family. If you cant find an installer you are confident in, or one that gaurantees their work, you will be better of doing the install yourself, you will save yourself alot of hassle and money.

On a final note, bit*h the fu*k out of the CircuitCity installer, they are responsible for the install and the product. You most likely will get no customer support (good support) from DEI because they transfer all customer support responsibilitie to their dealers, which by the way is a big mistake. Was the installer at CircuitCity out of high school yet?

Last edited by marin8703 : 11-14-2006 at 04:52 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Hummer Expert

Regarding the warranty, read the product manual.

Thanks for the numbers - you were of assistance before. I was referring to other postings. If a dealer states they are certified by DEI, then the job should be done right regardless of the installer.

Thus DEI should have some clout on this issue.

And I wasn't going to another garage to have junk installed, simply to have it done sooner.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

MountainBlue is on a distinguished road

You need to talk with the general manager of the C.C. you had the unit installed at. They need to fix it or take it out and refund your money, simple as that. It sounds like an install problem, not the alarm, and that has to taken care of by C.C. DEI will not be responsible for an improper install. I always take my complaints to the manager out in the store, very loudly, that seems to get them to take care of most problems.
Volant intake, Airaid TB spacer, Custom down pipe, Magnaflow dual Exhaust, NGK iridium plugs, Nitto TG -AT295/75/16, Brush guard, tail light guards, mud guards, Chrome Shorty Antenna & bracket, Chrome lower punch grill & lettering, Chrome side moldings, smoked side marker lenses, 3-D Hummer hitch plug, Body color spare cover, & of course DEBADGED!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Hummer Expert

Thanks Blue - that's my preference in doing business

I need DEI's feedback on the situation as C.C. is telling me it is an incompatability issue.

I don't believe them...
Old 11-15-2006, 12:29 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Thanks Blue - that's my preference in doing business

I need DEI's feedback on the situation as C.C. is telling me it is an incompatability issue.

I don't believe them...

and you shouldnt beleive them.

Ask them to show you a comptibity list (the reason is, if a product has compatibility issues the company is required to post a compatibility list). Also ask them if they purposly sold and installed an incompatible alarm on your vehicle without informing you and having your written consent! Put some pressure on em, show them your no pus**! you know what you paid for, now demand it!