H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-08-2005, 08:34 PM

clydecpa is off the scale

I have seriously been contemplating yielding the drive-what-I-want fun side of me in favor of the alter ego drive-what-a-responsible-father-of-three should drive me.

In comparison terms, my shopping for both ego's has left me with the H3 (irresponsible fun me) vs. the Toyota Highlander hybrid (responsible-daddy me.)

Here are the facts:
purchase price: H3 (fairly loaded, GMID discounted) $32,626..........THH comparably eq. 4x4 $40,000
Insurance difference: negligible given higher price of THH
Fuel savings: $1,058/yr., assuming $2.50 a gallon average for 87 octane for the next 5 years, H3 at 15 mpg, THH at 26 mpg averages, 15,000 miles per year

THH cost diff: $7,374
5 yr. fuel savings: $5,288
difference: $2,085

I assumed 15 mpg H3, and 26 mpg THH based on my expected driving in both, which based on my history will not be conservatively done in favor of optimal fuel efficiency. Also, my reading of real world results from owners of each vehicle seem to prove out those numbers for my driving style. I have driven both, and I can tell you, the THH must be driven SLOWLY off the line to keep from engaging the gas motor right away. 26 mpg is real world for it.

If I waited to purchase the THH until 1/1/2006 the new tax credit passsed today could get me anywhere from $650 in tax credits to $3400. Let's assume the THH is in the middle at $2000 (I think it will be closer to $1000, but I'm guessing on this one.) Now the THH and H3 are dead even in terms of total costs, though if you have a substantial car payment, you are essentially financing the future fuel cost savings of the THH due to higher purchase price, thus lowering your savings and making the H3 the better financial choice.

I've driven both, and even given the nice acceleration of the THH, the H3 is more fun to drive, can go anywhere (the THH 4x4 explicity has a disclaimer against all off road driving), and has 10 times better looks.

It turns out the decision was a no brainer after all. H3 builder, HOW SOON WILL MY SLATE BLUE LUX/OFFROAD BE HERE!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:34 PM

I have seriously been contemplating yielding the drive-what-I-want fun side of me in favor of the alter ego drive-what-a-responsible-father-of-three should drive me.

In comparison terms, my shopping for both ego's has left me with the H3 (irresponsible fun me) vs. the Toyota Highlander hybrid (responsible-daddy me.)

Here are the facts:
purchase price: H3 (fairly loaded, GMID discounted) $32,626..........THH comparably eq. 4x4 $40,000
Insurance difference: negligible given higher price of THH
Fuel savings: $1,058/yr., assuming $2.50 a gallon average for 87 octane for the next 5 years, H3 at 15 mpg, THH at 26 mpg averages, 15,000 miles per year

THH cost diff: $7,374
5 yr. fuel savings: $5,288
difference: $2,085

I assumed 15 mpg H3, and 26 mpg THH based on my expected driving in both, which based on my history will not be conservatively done in favor of optimal fuel efficiency. Also, my reading of real world results from owners of each vehicle seem to prove out those numbers for my driving style. I have driven both, and I can tell you, the THH must be driven SLOWLY off the line to keep from engaging the gas motor right away. 26 mpg is real world for it.

If I waited to purchase the THH until 1/1/2006 the new tax credit passsed today could get me anywhere from $650 in tax credits to $3400. Let's assume the THH is in the middle at $2000 (I think it will be closer to $1000, but I'm guessing on this one.) Now the THH and H3 are dead even in terms of total costs, though if you have a substantial car payment, you are essentially financing the future fuel cost savings of the THH due to higher purchase price, thus lowering your savings and making the H3 the better financial choice.

I've driven both, and even given the nice acceleration of the THH, the H3 is more fun to drive, can go anywhere (the THH 4x4 explicity has a disclaimer against all off road driving), and has 10 times better looks.

It turns out the decision was a no brainer after all. H3 builder, HOW SOON WILL MY SLATE BLUE LUX/OFFROAD BE HERE!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by clydecpa:
H3 builder, HOW SOON WILL MY SLATE BLUE LUX/OFFROAD BE HERE!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After mine!!!!

Glad you came to your senses and decided on the H3. Sure the gas mileage isn't as good but you will love driving the H3 and the THH would probably be like driving anything else out there.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 08-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

MxHonda is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

After mine!!!!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Mine!

You may get yours by the end of the month based on your 8/15 production week. Mine shipped on 7/22 to South Florida and I will be picking it up tomorrow!
Old 08-08-2005, 10:03 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

That is so cool the way you put it. I enjoyed your post

ps I am getting about 18 now
Old 08-08-2005, 10:23 PM

H3Lady,

If I can get 18, I'll laugh all the way to the gas station every time I fill up. I'm getting a manual trans. so who knows, maybe I can get close, but not the way I cruise when on the interstate (75-80 mph), although I don't do a lot of interstate driving, about 4 miles out of 20 each way to and from work.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:58 PM

H3OH is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have seriously been contemplating yielding the drive-what-I-want fun side of me in favor of the alter ego drive-what-a-responsible-father-of-three should drive me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me save you the trouble. I have the H3. My wife has the Highlander (non-Hybrid). Both new to us. On top of that, we both ditched our cars to SUV's in preparation for our little boy who arrived just two weeks ago!

With that said, he has rode in both and he loves his H3! It's a no-brainer!

Also, just a piece of advice, we were all set on getting the hybrid Highlander. We didn't get it for two reasons. Reason number one is the fact it's the first hybrid of the car, which screams for trouble. Same could be said for the H3, but it has parts we're all familiar with! That aside, as it wasn't the "Big" factor, ALL dealers have the Hybrid Highlander from $10,000 to $15,000 OVER Sticker! I asked them why and they said, "We can do it because we are aware of the tax break and people will spend more to get it." Screw that!

You made the right choice, coming from one with experience with both vehicles and being a father. Not to mention you picked the color I wanted but didn't feel like waiting for. All that said...Enjoy your new H3!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:49 AM

Cedar Butte is off the scale

Congrats on the decsion and the color choice.

I have had my Slate Blue for two weeks and it's a great color.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:08 PM

Wild One is off the scale

You made the right choice, Dad. My cousins have a Highlander, and I've got to drive it a couple times. Nice car, but it's not a Hummer. It's not a car that your kids are going to tell their kids about.

But a Hummer? I bet someday your kids will say, "You know your Grandpa had a Hummer, no really! Yeah, Grandpa!"
Old 08-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wild One:
But a Hummer? I bet someday your kids will say, "You know your Grandpa had a Hummer, no really! Yeah, Grandpa!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I plan on still having one when I have grandchildren

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 08-09-2005, 04:01 PM

iacas is off the scale

I drove the Highlander today. It's pretty darn impressive, and they had a 2002 with 70k miles on it that was being sold for $15k. That's some resale value!

I like the Highlander. I'm also interested in the Touareg. Those are the top three, with the BMW X3 pretty far behind those.

The H3 is the least expensive of the bunch.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:13 PM

hyperion78 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacas:

The H3 is the least expensive of the bunch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's kind of funny... that's something that you'd never hear on the H2 board hehehehe.....
Old 08-09-2005, 05:35 PM

GrimReaper is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It turns out the decision was a no brainer after all. H3 builder, HOW SOON WILL MY SLATE BLUE LUX/OFFROAD BE HERE!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh, the human element. So very difficult to work into a spreadsheet.