H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road
Default steering too easy, too loose

hi guys,

anyone experienced a problem with having steering too loose, too easy? Like every bump in the road will throw the steering wheel easily into the sides, and I think there is very low resistance in the steering overall... there is full fluid level in the power steering reservoir, no errors on dashboard. I feel there is too much play in steering. After removing the tires/wheels and manually pushing on the steering front assembly there is not a visible play though, just slight clicking maybe.

I'm having this issue since I took quite a few off-road high speed rides with my 2007 H3 (21k miles only) last fall on local dirt roads. Firstly I screwed up my geometry, which after several shop visits got more or less fixed (however after last laser alignment we had to manually adjust one of the tie rods because truck still pulled into a side)... I don't have anything bent or visibly damaged. I have 33" BFG Mud Terrains on the vehicle, nearly new set.

BTW, I brought up this issue here many month back, didn't fix it yet. As a result I hardly drive my beloved H3 these days, just weekly short trips in order not having the truck standing completely and deteriorating slowly by sitting on the yard.

I'm almost thinking whether by driving other vehicles with much tighter steering I just didn't forget how H3 steers...

Thx for ideas!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Hummer Professional

iwillnc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: steering too easy, too loose

In my highly unprofessional opinion, I would look at the steering rack for cracks or loose bolts.
I would remove the skid plates get someone else to move the wheel back and forth, while the front end was on the ground so you have tension, and watch the rack for side to side movement or irregular cracks that may show, and obviously take note of anything that looks odd when doing so.

Again that's just where I would start, I definitely wouldn't put money on it.

I don't have an H3 although I have driven my friends(06) and a rental(10), and while its been a while for both, I definitely remember them being lighter than my H2, but any modern car would be about the same if not lighter
Old 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

Camou2 is on a distinguished road

Loose steering shaft bolt? Worn pitman & idler arms? These are what I would look for on the H3.
2008 H3 Alpha
Old 07-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road

thanks guys,

I guess removing the skid plates (I didn't have them off when checking the assembly, I only removed the wheels and had vehicle on the hydraulic lift)and looking at the steering closely could be a good idea. And inspect all the steering components again, and in detail...

When I had the truck in the shop with this in the past, the mechanics insisted that it feels normal, however, I don't share their opinion. With regard to problematic alignment I'd also think that's something is off...

Well, if anyone else would have some experience with this type of issue, definitely would like to hear it...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

accely is on a distinguished road

that would drive me crazy as it obviously is to you as well.. IMO i would trade it in and get a different one