H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

TexasRTR78 is off the scale

Hello!!! My name is Angela and I purchased my H3 8-15-05 and I am excited to be a new member of this community as well as a PROUD owner of a 2006 Boulder Grey H3!!!

Just wanted to post this topic for any other owners out there who are curious about an iPod integration for their H3.

I took my H3 to the best audio/video shop in our area and asked the owner what the best option was for listening to my iPod in the H3 without having to use the FM Transmitter (iTrip for me). I don't like the transmitter 'cause it doesn't always work...and I can't stand the fuzzy sound that seems to be unavoidable in my area. He told me that he had not installed anything for the iPod on a H3 yet, but that he had on H2's and H1's...he said he would call a good friend of his in Florida for help. His buddy told him that they were scheduled to install a hardwire system for the iPod in two weeks but that they had not done an H3 install yet either!

They finish their discussion and he tells me that they both feel that since their is no hardwire system specifically designed for the H3 yet that they could use the system that is for the Chevy Colorado but there may be some "side effects". He tells me of all the electronic things that could go wrong and then asks me to make a decision on wether or not to install it now or wait a couple of weeks for his buddy in Florida to do it first and see if it works. He says there is an 80% chance it will work just fine and there is a 20% chance things could go haywire. I took the chance and things turned out ok!

I just have a couple of complaints though...after I start my H3 and turn on the XM (this had to be disabled since the H3 does not have an aux) my iPod starts to play...but after about 15 or 20 minutes it will go quiet and then within just a couple of seconds it will come back on, usually. Sometimes it wont come back on and I have to just hit the power knob on the dash twice and then it will come back on. Not really sure why this is happening...planning to call my installer and tell him about it...will let everyone know soon as I find out.

Sorry for the long story,
Angela
Old 08-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

TexasRTR78 is off the scale

Hello!!! My name is Angela and I purchased my H3 8-15-05 and I am excited to be a new member of this community as well as a PROUD owner of a 2006 Boulder Grey H3!!!

Just wanted to post this topic for any other owners out there who are curious about an iPod integration for their H3.

I took my H3 to the best audio/video shop in our area and asked the owner what the best option was for listening to my iPod in the H3 without having to use the FM Transmitter (iTrip for me). I don't like the transmitter 'cause it doesn't always work...and I can't stand the fuzzy sound that seems to be unavoidable in my area. He told me that he had not installed anything for the iPod on a H3 yet, but that he had on H2's and H1's...he said he would call a good friend of his in Florida for help. His buddy told him that they were scheduled to install a hardwire system for the iPod in two weeks but that they had not done an H3 install yet either!

They finish their discussion and he tells me that they both feel that since their is no hardwire system specifically designed for the H3 yet that they could use the system that is for the Chevy Colorado but there may be some "side effects". He tells me of all the electronic things that could go wrong and then asks me to make a decision on wether or not to install it now or wait a couple of weeks for his buddy in Florida to do it first and see if it works. He says there is an 80% chance it will work just fine and there is a 20% chance things could go haywire. I took the chance and things turned out ok!

I just have a couple of complaints though...after I start my H3 and turn on the XM (this had to be disabled since the H3 does not have an aux) my iPod starts to play...but after about 15 or 20 minutes it will go quiet and then within just a couple of seconds it will come back on, usually. Sometimes it wont come back on and I have to just hit the power knob on the dash twice and then it will come back on. Not really sure why this is happening...planning to call my installer and tell him about it...will let everyone know soon as I find out.

Sorry for the long story,
Angela
Old 08-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

Thanks for the post Angela, and welcome to the forum! please post some pics when you can!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale

The Aux jack is the only thing I'm gonna miss about my Element. My iPod goes everywhere with me....it's really too bad that GM didn't put one in the H3. And Angela- the iTrip definitely sucks. Especially if you live in an area where there are very few blank fm stations...the static/hiss are definitely annoying as hell.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:41 PM

Vegas-H3 is off the scale

I also loved my iPOD as well in the car, so I am curious about this. I have the Monsoon stereo system (but no XM). Does that mean I do not have the input available for this or not?

I had an AUX input on another car stereo, but just a a wire coming up from the console. It worked, but I would like to have a "nicer" finshed product in the leather cashmiere interior.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:23 PM

H3OH is off the scale

I think I'm going to let the install companies get a few H3's under their belts before I throw mine in the shop to get my iPod integrated into the H3.

Let us know how it works out, Angela, and welcome to the club!
Old 08-27-2005, 03:32 PM

paunchy1975 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegas-H3:
I also loved my iPOD as well in the car, so I am curious about this. I have the Monsoon stereo system (but no XM). Does that mean I do not have the input available for this or not?

I had an AUX input on another car stereo, but just a a wire coming up from the console. It worked, but I would like to have a "nicer" finshed product in the leather cashmiere interior. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also have the six disc with no XM, but the radio has buttons that only function with the XM, such as the "cat" button, so I would think that we have the AUX port.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:01 PM

poul is off the scale

For those of you who have a stock stereo and want to upgrade, I can highly recommend these two I just helped to install to my friends:
JVC KD-AVX1 – has small built-in screen, connected it to rearview camera on my friend’s 4runner; also can play MP3s from DVD-R, so you can record 4GB worth of music and just put it in your dash. Has optional AUX input to connect iPod, but why would you need it with 4GB disk? great sound! Installed it with Polk Audio speakers and DIY subwoofer.

Pioneer DEH-P9600MP – plays MP3s from CD (not DVD), plays DVDs, has compatible with Pioneer's iPod interface adapter – you control iPod like it’s a CD changer, using stereo controls; lots of adjustments and customizations, absolutely greatest sound I’ve heard so far after I adjusted all the parameters. Installed it on friend’s Audi with Focal speakers (had to rip off stupid Bose system), now he’s in sound heaven.

Pioneer AVIC-D1 – navigation, rear camera view (no DVD playback). The rest is same as for DEH-P9600MP. Installation is not easy, don’t DIY unless you know what you’re doing. Installed it with Pioneer GEX-P10XMT XM NavTraffic Satellite Radio, it gives you real-time info on traffic, neat!
Old 08-27-2005, 05:28 PM

hummer 007 is off the scale

This is the best radio/dvd/ipod/nav/sat radio otion out there,,,,,
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2005, 05:28 PM

more
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2005, 05:30 PM

1 more
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2005, 06:04 PM

poul is off the scale

looks sweet! what are the components, aside of xbox?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 AM

TorontoJeff is off the scale

Hello
First time H3 poster here
My H3 is getting Ipod integrated this week. They are attaching it to the 6 disc changer port at the rear of the radio (i intentionally got the basic stereo to have the changer port free). This will be combined with a GM cable to connect to the ipod, a mounting bracket and an aftermarket Ipod dock that will screw into the mounting bracket.
I will control the Ipod right from the Ipod (as opposed to using playlists on the 6 presets). It will mount just to the right of the steering wheel. I am also (at a later date) going to install the Sirius Satellite radio unit, which I will be able to switch back and forth between the Ipod by simply removing one small plug and plugging into the other device.
By the way, you push the "CD" button a second time to access the Ipod that is hooked up to the 6 disc changer port.
If anyone is curious, I will report back later in the week.
Jeff
Old 09-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

Jeff-
I'd be curious to see a picture and how happy you are with the integration. I have a similar setup in my Ford and very pleased with it. Obvioiusly, if I move up to the H3, I'll need a home for my iPod. I might have to get the black Nano to go with the black H3.

-Chris
Black H3 | Lux package | Ebony | Aluminum Crossbows | Chrome Pack | Chrome Tube Steps | Sunroof | Billet Hood Handles | Billet Gas Cap | Rubber Mudder Mats | Mud Flaps | Chrome Mesh Lower Grille Insert | Stainless HUMMER letters | HUMMER Grille Letters | Roof Racks | Roof Marker Lamps | Chrome Door Sills
Old 09-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

I got a new Alpine with iPod integration. The ipod sits in the glove box and I control and see everything from the Alpine stero screen. Song search, album search, playlist search, next backward, etc.

Works great and also charges the iPod. I never see the beautifull iPod any longer because it sit in the glove box away from prying eyes.

Also the Alpine has detachable face and CD of course. Its a sweeet hook up. I don't really care for the bezel (but it does give me space ot put my sunglasses now.)
Old 09-17-2005, 03:05 AM
Hummer Professional

killian is off the scale

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, I had an FM modulator installed in one of my work vans with a Monster Cable coming out from under the dash. I could plug in my iPod, select a preset station on my stock GM stereo and the tunes came through crystal clear. It worked far better than the iTrip and it was cheap to install. I'm having the same thing done to my H3 next week.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:29 AM

The difference is that this doesnt use FM transmission, but plugs directly into the digital output at the bottom of the ipod.

this is the best thing ive done to my H3 so far!!

So here's the result (photos to come). Im going to explain it in detail to make sure that people understand, my apologies to those who understand the setup already:

I ordered 3 parts:
1. the DLO Transpod Direct - this is a docking cradle that charges the unit and also hold it on the dashboard.
2. the cable that connects the ipod to the auxillary jack behind the factory radio
3. A mounting bracket that attaches to the dash and let's you screw the Transpod into it.

It turned out that the H3 mounting bracket wasnt out yet, so the audio store I was at made one for me which screws into the glove compartment. I believe that if you dont mind screwing the Transpod directly into the dash, then you dont need the mounting bracket.

So right now the Transpod is mounted between the glove compartment and the factory stereo, and has a wire that goes into the dash (and into the auxillary port in the radio)

I push the "band" button repeatedly until eventually a number "1" comes up on the diplay, and that is the station for my Ipod (dont get it confused with FM transmitter, because it isnt being broadcast to a radio station. The #1 is the auxillary input)

The sound is fantastic, i control the Ipod from the Ipod itself, it is easy to access.

In addition, there is a small plug, the size of a headphone plug, that plugs into the Transpod, so if I want to add an aftermarket satellite radio unit, I can mount it near the Transpod, and simply switch that plug between devices.

Any questions, ask away
Old 09-19-2005, 02:36 AM

H3 Hummer.....Alpine w/the ipod in the glove compartment,,,,is the way to go...scroll up to see my set up!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2005, 10:51 AM

I agree 007, thats a good setup, but a lot of people want to know how to do it with their factory radio
Old 09-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">H3 Hummer.....Alpine w/the ipod in the glove compartment,,,,is the way to go...scroll up to see my set up!!!!!!!!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does an Alpine like that cost? What's the model number? I'd be curious to see a photo of what it looks like in daylight.
Black H3 | Lux package | Ebony | Aluminum Crossbows | Chrome Pack | Chrome Tube Steps | Sunroof | Billet Hood Handles | Billet Gas Cap | Rubber Mudder Mats | Mud Flaps | Chrome Mesh Lower Grille Insert | Stainless HUMMER letters | HUMMER Grille Letters | Roof Racks | Roof Marker Lamps | Chrome Door Sills