H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Locally, our dealer has two trucks needing new rearends. Hall was originally going to repair them, but GM said to replace the WHOLE thing! It seems this may not be an isolated problem.

Anyone else with this problem?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Hummer Messiah

Locally, our dealer has two trucks needing new rearends. Hall was originally going to repair them, but GM said to replace the WHOLE thing! It seems this may not be an isolated problem.

Anyone else with this problem?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:33 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Common practice with GM when the launch a new rear end or any large component such as trans, engine, transfer case. Replacement for up to the first six months, then rebuild from then on. That way they can analyze the problem prior to a technician taking it apart.
This includes things such as a minor case leak, or a solenoid in many instances. GM engineering along with the supplier will study the component prior to disassembling, and that way they can learn, and have the components modified to prevent the failure.
We have done it on all new engines and transmissions including the Ecco tech 4-cylinders, the 5-cylinder in this vehicle when first launced on other vehicles, etc.
If the ID numbers are close, this could be an isolate instance for a particular run of rear ends, and these type of problems are almost always due to a supplier or a third tier supplier (supplier to a supplier) having a quality spill.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

Screeper is an unknown quantity at this point

My fathers H3 needed a new rear end after 600 miles. Heard a whine in the back and metal fell out when the cover came off. They are replacing the whole unit but I dont know if they completed the work yet. It was going on two weeks in the shop.
2004 Lux with 6 inch Fabtech with tie rods, 38 inch MT's, 4:88 gears, and some minor engine tweaks.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:50 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:

Anyone else with this problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHat were you symptoms. My son started to her a clang the other day and did not know what it was

How can they tell if it needs to be replaced.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:52 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

PS

Did you show leaks too? and do you have the lock rearend as in the adventure package. I don't have that package...
Old 08-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Hummer Messiah

I don't have an H3.

According to the dealer, the customers had the same symptoms as screeper did.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:59 AM

hyperion78 is off the scale

i was a little disappointed when I came in here..... wasn't what I was expecting :-P
Old 08-25-2005, 03:23 AM

skeeter is off the scale

YES, I have been without my H3 now for two and a half weeks now. It will be three weeks next monday. As stated they where going to repair the rearend, and then wanted to replace it. First off they said they were going to get one out of shevport plant, then they said they were getting one from the manufacture directly up in michigan. I guess one is in transit, and is to be in on friday. I will belive it when I see it. I sure do miss it. Sewell put me in a rental car, a Pacifica, it's damm sure not a Hummer. I have a four day trip hunting trip planed for the end of next week. An out of state trip that is. I better have my H3 back or I will be pissed. I have been telling all my hunting buddys about my new H3. Now, I am having this trerrible nightmare every night. It goes like this: I drive in to my hunt camp in this light blue Pacifica, and all my hunting buddys cant stop laughing there asses off at me. If it is not ready by next week they better give me a Hummer loaner. Oh yes, the symptoms are a howling noise most noticeable from 0 to 45 mph. I did'nt have any clanking noise. When I took it in on the 8th, I did not think having it by the 31st whould be a proublem.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyperion78:
i was a little disappointed when I came in here..... wasn't what I was expecting :-P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>HA! When I first read that I was about to flame you! Then I remembered the topic title.

skeeter, be thankful the entire rear is being taken care of.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:13 AM

hyperion78 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyperion78:
i was a little disappointed when I came in here..... wasn't what I was expecting :-P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>HA! When I first read that I was about to flame you! Then I remembered the topic title.

skeeter, be thankful the entire rear is being taken care of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ha ya that's what I thought!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:45 PM

Vegas-H3 is off the scale

It looks like I am about to join this club as well. Heard a whining noise in my new Black Lux H3 and took it to the dealer. Rear end replacement.......no idea on turn around time yet!!
Old 08-27-2005, 12:44 PM

Vegas-H3 is off the scale

FYI... I also was at a little more than 500 miles when this happened. With the Monsoon system on, it's harder to hear the noise, so keep a look out for it. (Hopefully, it won't happen to your ride)!
Old 08-27-2005, 01:26 PM

H3OH is off the scale

How about the front end?

While washing my H3 last night, I noticed that the front-right wheel well seemed a bit loose. I saw the staples that everyone talks about (yuck), but the big part was the flex in the well while washing it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Hummer Professional

Webb70 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3OH:
How about the front end?

While washing my H3 last night, I noticed that the front-right wheel well seemed a bit loose. I saw the staples that everyone talks about (yuck), but the big part was the flex in the well while washing it. Any suggestions?

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine had the same thing on the passenger side. I took it in and the 'push screw' seemed to small so they put in a bigger one and it is perfect now.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:50 PM

Green H3 is off the scale

Our H3 has less than 1000 miles and it is whining so loud the radio won't drown it. Off to the shop it goes. Anything else we should have the shop look at?
Old 08-27-2005, 06:12 PM

richk is off the scale

Mine needs a new rear end. Dealer finally figured it out yesterday after almost a month of me complaining about a knocking noise. They showed me a bulletin dated yesterday from Hummer that says rear-end replacements are now on hold until they can figure out why so many are failing. The dealer is telling me I will have to wait until GM figures out a solution.

In case any of you read my others threads regarding a knocking noise that is only heard when the truck warms up. Or you may have read my complaints about excessive vibrations coming thru the gas pedal. When the dealer has diagnosed the rear-end as the culprit. Now am just playing the waiting game until Hummer comes out with a solution. I plan on bugging them about every 2 weeks until its repaired. In the meantime I am driving around with the issue.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:17 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

the law states that if a replacement part on vehicle is unavailable from a manufacture (DOES NOT MEAN BACKORDER DOES NOT COUNT, they must supply you a vehicle unto the part is available....
Old 08-27-2005, 08:01 PM

richk is off the scale

I am continuing to drive my H3. They didn't say this would be problem.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3Lady:
the law states that if a replacement part on vehicle is unavailable from a manufacture (DOES NOT MEAN BACKORDER DOES NOT COUNT, they must supply you a vehicle unto the part is available.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Law? Please state a MI statute that states a car dealer must supply a free car when your car is in for repair. I believe it is part of the Hummer Warranty that a car will be provided, but I have never heard of a law like that in MI, or any other state I have lived in over the past 40 years.