H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

TexasRTR78 is off the scale
Default transmission being replaced

well, havent been on here in a looonnng time...on the way home from san antonio hubby and i started feeling a bad vibration coming from underneath the h3...went on a little ways and then all of the sudden a strange noise...we knew something was really wrong...got out and looked underneath to find transmission fluid pouring out and smoke...we were in an area way out in the middle of NOWHERE and neither one of us had any service on our cell phones...not even onstar could connect...so we limped it back to brady, tx...called a friend who owns a wrecker servcie...he towed us and our sad h3 back to midland...had it hauled to a good friend here in midland who is known as the BEST transmission guy in west texas...he just called to say that the failure looks like it was caused by the u-joint failing which caused such an extreme vibration that it cracked the transmission case...uh, yeah, mileage was sitting at 51 thousand and some change...no extended warranty coverege on our early 2006 h3 that we bought in August of 2005...hubby is going to call hummer in lubbock but we are already pretty certain that they will not do a damn thing about it...they have always been pretty good on the small stuff while under warranty but the last time i went in on some issues that were no longer covered they just REALLY pissed me off...so, we are looking at a new transmission now...going to let our guy here in midland do it...he is very very good at what he does (not the cheapest but VERY good).

So, not really here for anything other than to vent a bit and to share the technical stuff...of course, as i get more info i will post more...thanks all of you hummer gurus that have always helped me out in the past and to elcova for having the BEST hummer forum on the net!!!

Angela
Old 12-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

Field Scout is on a distinguished road
Default Re: transmission being replaced

Sorry to hear, I'm at 48000 on my 06 H3 I bought in August 06 and am considering selling mine this summer. I don't have extended warranty and have had 4WD trouble witnessed on trails that the dealer can't find or duplicate so I'm a little concerned about longevity besides although the 3 has been a blast a full size truck would fit my needs better right now. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Angela,
Sorry to hear about the problem. Is there anything atypical about your operations on the H3 (towing Off Roading etc) that may have led to the failure?
W
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

gmpartsdude is on a distinguished road

I agree with hummech. Call GM Customer Assistance and demand that they help you. Also, ask the service manager if he can "good will" the transmission for you. I honestly don't see any problem with you getting any assistance at that mileage.

Thank god they changed the powertrain warranty! Picked up my new 08 New Years Eve.