H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 06-16-2008, 03:40 AM
Hummer Veteran

cdmintmi is on a distinguished road
Default mounting and wirring driving lights

Ok Ive had my new PIAA 520 ATP driving lights for about 3 weeks now and I havent been able to put them on for a couple reasons. First off my brush guard has no tabs to attach them and Ive found several for 1.25" tube brush gaurds but mine is 1.5". I finally foudn and ordered a set of clap style mounts but the hole in the mount is too small for the bolt on the light. Ive searched online and cant seem to find anything, any suggestions??? Also wirring. I know there are post on here about extra wires to save the step of running a wire though the firewall to a switch and I have located loose wires that seem to stop both under the hood and under the dash as seen here...

Under dash: Name:  wires under dash.JPG
Views: 363
Size:  114.3 KB

Under hood: Name:  wires under hood.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  101.1 KB

Are these the wires that can be used to run through the firewall for the switch? and if so which one? I have ordered the Hummer switch for the holes uner the radio, its still in transit. Id like to figure all this out before it gets here and I know the people on here can be a very big help. Thanks for the help in advance.
06 H3, Boulder Grey (somtimes/mostly just mud, color of mud varies), Leveling Kit, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's, Westin chrome nerf bar, chrome brush guard, Chrome kit, chrome roof bars, navigation, XM,
brush gaurd lights. Want: 4" or 6" lift, rock rails to replace the steps, roof rack w/lights, want a rack above the spare on rear door, custom seat covers...should be done then but I doubt it

Last edited by cdmintmi : 06-16-2008 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:39 AM
Hummer Novice

H_Cubed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: mounting and wirring driving lights

Both PIAA and Aries makes a 1.25-1.5" tab. I ordered some PIAA tabs for my 520's. I just used the PIAA wiring harness. Everything is mounted down the drivers side, with the light relay mounted behind the battery box. To get the wires to the switch through the firewall, I detached the hood release and backed out the cable through its grommet(used a little vaseline to get it out). I took the plug off the wires. Then I used a some electrical tape to attach the wires to the cable and pulled it back through and then finished wiring up to the switch.

The relay behind the battery box:

The grommet for the hood release:

Old 06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

you have a part number or anything for those tabs becuase I cant find them on PIAAs website or anywhere else for that matter?
06 H3, Boulder Grey (somtimes/mostly just mud, color of mud varies), Leveling Kit, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's, Westin chrome nerf bar, chrome brush guard, Chrome kit, chrome roof bars, navigation, XM,
brush gaurd lights. Want: 4" or 6" lift, rock rails to replace the steps, roof rack w/lights, want a rack above the spare on rear door, custom seat covers...should be done then but I doubt it
Old 06-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Hummer Novice

H_Cubed is on a distinguished road

http://www.autosupermart.com/store/shop/piaa30720.html

The part numbers are listed, for both black and shiny, in 2 sizes each. I ordered mine to a local piaa dealer and didn't have to pay shipping on them. Picked them up the next day.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

k thanks for the help on the mounts they should be here in a day. now for the wires. I personally would prefer not to dissemble anything or drill more holes into the fire wall if wires are already present that could be used. I mena with these lights Im pretty positive that Ill never need or care to add the factory roof lights, so they are just going to sit there anyways. Is there any way of knowing for sure where these wires go? I mean does anyone know if they solely pass through the firewall and thats it? Or do they just happen the be the same collors? What would be best way to test it?
Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmintmi
k What would be best way to test it?

hook up two of the wires to you battery vis extensions and use a test light on the inside...or your tongue.

I'll see what I can find out on Friday for ya.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

wow that was a very helpfull post. Actually figured it out. stripped the ends off the red one and the black and white one and twisted them together under the dash and then stripped the ends under the hood of the same color wires and tested for continuity with the volt meter. same wires. they just pass straight through the firewall and dead end on either side.

I lost the directions from piaa. Thought Id just use their switch until my oem switch gets here. Theirs has three wires, two hot and one neg. Im assuming the extra hot is for power to the little light on the switch, correct??? Is the OEM switch the same

If anyone actually cares to help me out, wheres the best place to get power for the switch?