H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-25-2006, 03:25 AM
Hummer Professional

SR1355 is on a distinguished road
Default Rear E-Locker

I've searched thru a few threads but with no luck. Has anyone successfully bypassed the lo-4wd control of the rear locker?

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron
Old 10-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rear E-Locker

I'm no mechanic, so I am not sure why you want to by pass this, but I have a switch above the radio, where the 4hi lock, 4Low Lock etc buttons are. One is to engage/disengage the rear locker. And as far as I know, the rear locker is only available in the 5speed manual trans.

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 10-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerHippy
I'm no mechanic, so I am not sure why you want to by pass this, but I have a switch above the radio, where the 4hi lock, 4Low Lock etc buttons are. One is to engage/disengage the rear locker. And as far as I know, the rear locker is only available in the 5speed manual trans.

The locker is availabe with either transmission and the bypass he's referring to is so that it can be engaged in 4Hi-Lock. From the factory, you can only engage the rear locker when in 4Lo and it automatically disengages if you go over 20mph, IIRC.

There was some talk about this on here before. But I haven't seen anyone post that they have successfully bypassed it in the H3 yet.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Hummer Professional

Right on, there are plenty of times that I'd like the rear locker locked in 4-HI, dune riding, mud running, snow.... Anyone had any success?

Old 10-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Hummer Professional

Idaho-Hummer is off the scale

I have not done this but the whole car runs on a 12-Vdc system. Just find the wire that goes to the e-locker and tap with a volt meter and turn it off and on and then hook up a switch. that should do it. give it a try and then let me know if it works.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

What's 12V DC have to do with it. If it was a 6 volt system it would work the same, or a new 42 Volt system?

Yes, there is a way to bypass it and it requires more than one wire, or you will light up the DIC and set codes.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Hummer Professional

f5fstop, do you have more info than that? I sure would like to work around this limitation.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1355
Right on, there are plenty of times that I'd like the rear locker locked in 4-HI, dune riding, mud running, snow.... Anyone had any success?

Don't really want to interject here, but...

With the full time 4WD, and the traction control system, in the situations you describe, I just don't understand why you would need it?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't believe you would need it at speeds above 20 mph. The locker is supposed to be used for low speed applications; thus the 20 mph unlock. It might cause damage to the rear locker, which from my experience reading forums, means the person will remove the bypass and hit GM for the warranty.

We already have enough legitimate hits on warranty for the front axle... and that is GM's fault.

So, even though I know how, I won't say how.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

yzergod is on a distinguished road

Too bad. The guys with a Jeep Rubicon figured it out and gladly share the info on how to. Seems like a valid reason for wanting to be locked in 4Hi IMHO.
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."
Old 10-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzergod
Too bad. The guys with a Jeep Rubicon figured it out and gladly share the info on how to.

Are they Jeep / DC employees?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:32 AM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

The e-locker is controlled by the transfer case shift control module. This module monitors both the control and return voltages from the e-locker actuator and if they are incorrect DTC-C0388 is set and SERVICE 4WD is displayed. The control module also has a free wheeling diode to accomodate the e-locker's actuator coil's inductance. The e-locker's coil normal resistance is between 2.2 and 4.3 ohms.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
Are they Jeep / DC employees?

I'm sure some were in the beginning. But now it is so common that aftermarket companies are offering kits. DC stated that they did not want to offer it as an option due to liability reasons (i.e. soccer mom munching rear diff in mall parking lot because she hit button accidentally) just like f5fstop stated above.

My point is that it (should) be an easy fix for somebody to figure out and the reasons stated for wanting to do it are sound. I completely understand why f5fstop doesn't want to publisize how to do it and I wasn't giving him crap. I just said it was too bad that there wasn't a quick fix out there as the original poster's reasons for wanting to do it seemed logical to me. I'm sure somebody will eventually post how to do it. If you're stupid enough to do the fix and then munch your locker, then I agree you shouldn't claim it under warranty. But, just because GM (or Jeep) doesn't offer it that way from stock is no reason to discourage somebody from doing it IMHO.

Geez, you guys are sure quick to jump somebody's ass if they don't follow the norm like sheep around here!
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."

Last edited by yzergod : 10-27-2006 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:

Geez, you guys are sure quick to jump somebody's ass if they don't follow the norm like sheep around here!

Ya think???

I simply stated that there are two other systems that would cover the needed traction in the situations you described.

How is that jumping your ass?

Hummers are more sophisticated vehicles. Comparing them to an outdated redneck system the likes of which Jeep uses is just well.....dumb. They are different. Period.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
Ya think???

I simply stated that there are two other systems that would cover the needed traction in the situations you described.

How is that jumping your ass?

Hummers are more sophisticated vehicles. Comparing them to an outdated redneck system the likes of which Jeep uses is just well.....dumb. They are different. Period.

Yeah, I think.

Actually, I wasn't refering to your reply. But, you jumping in kinda proves my point.

It is funny in that I wasn't comparing apples to oranges. I agreed with the original poster that you should be able to bypass the system and that his reasons for wanting to seem valid. The fact remains that even though "Hummers are more sophisticated vehicles", there should be a way to do it. And if the guy wants to, he'll find way. I bought a Lux/Adventure over the Rubi. I'm one of you guys. I just don't share in the elitist attitudes that stock vehicles (no matter how "sophisticated" they are) should remain stock because thats how our lord god Hummer wanted them to be. If there are improvements to be had by tinkering under the hood in the effort of better off-roading, I'm all for it. But, as stated, I was not giving f5 attitude for not giving it up. He is a valuable asset to this board and has helped me out. I would not want him to jeopordize his job over a questionable mod. (Least of all for somebody else instead of me .)

You guys are a trip. I suppose that if I wanted to crank on my torsion bars a couple of turns to run bigger than stock tires, you'd poo-poo it because it isn't how it came from the factory? Give me a break.

You need to see how some of you long timers come across sometimes. Holy crap!

Last edited by yzergod : 10-27-2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Hummer Guru

Just because you can ...doesn't mean you should
Old 10-27-2006, 07:27 AM
Hummer Guru

Oh and I run 35's with 5 turns, kicks ass on the Rubicon
Old 10-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
Oh and I run 35's with 5 turns, kicks ass on the Rubicon
My next mod. Going with 35" BFG/MT's. Was going to try 2.5 turns first. And, Moab is a couple hours from me.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Too bad. The guys with a Jeep Rubicon figured it out and gladly share the info on how to. Seems like a valid reason for wanting to be locked in 4Hi IMHO.

So does that mean the Jeep guys are "cooler" than we are??

And you still have not address the need. Why when you have Traction Control and Stabilitrac?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Hummer Guru