H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

GPan099 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Red & Blues reinstalled :)

Vehicle & Traffic Laws related to colored lights visible in front of the car vary from state to state. There is no federal regulation that applies to all states. In NYS, blue is for volunteer firefighters, green is for voluteer ambulance squads, red is for official designated emergency vehicles (police vehicles, ambulances and & fire apparatus) and white & amber are for anyone. Check your local laws.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Klint is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we really don't have a problem with people running there lights when they are not going to call's.

You get pulled over for that you're going to Jail here..
Old 12-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Hummer Expert

again I have been running Red and blue for about 9 years now..
I respond to ALOT of wrecks on major high ways where I will be the first on scene and people really ignore Red lights so when you're trying to slow traffic now and move traffic over or stop them you need red / blue and also I have amber 2 amber strobes in the back also

Back is setup like this

[BLUE | AMBER] [ RED | BLUE ] [Amber | RED ]
Old 12-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klint
again I have been running Red and blue for about 9 years now..
I respond to ALOT of wrecks on major high ways where I will be the first on scene and people really ignore Red lights so when you're trying to slow traffic now and move traffic over or stop them you need red / blue and also I have amber 2 amber strobes in the back also

Back is setup like this

[BLUE | AMBER] [ RED | BLUE ] [Amber | RED ]

you've been driving with lights since you were 11??? wtf
Old 12-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Hummer Expert

My dad is also a Vol firefighter
Old 12-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Hummer Professional

H3PAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3.007
Blue is the only color that volunteer firefighters and rescue personal are permitted to use in PA, unless you are brass (chief, asistant chief, etc.).

When I used to run, I didn't bother with the blue lights. As soon as the state police would spot a "blue lighter" coming, they would hit them with radar. Several folks got pegged for speeding tickets on the way to calls. My stealth theory worked and I was never pulled when responding.

I don't get it. If you have to obey all traffic laws while responding, what is the purpose of the lights? I always pull over and yield the right of way to ANY emergency vehicle, including volunteers responding to a call. I notice that alot of people don't though. They are either oblivious or they just don't care. Why don't the police nail the asses who don't get out of the way instead of harassing the volunteer? I'd love to see the look on jackass's face when, after ignoring the volunteer with his blue light on, and refusing to let him pass, he turns the corner and sees his own house engulfed in flames with nobody there to put it out. Got marshmallows?

Name:  fire.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  42.1 KB
Old 12-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Hummer Professional

BACKNBLACK is off the scale

In NYS Blue is the ONLY color that can be used for Vol Fireman/EMT. In NYS if you are found with a mounted RED light even a temp mounted one you will be ticketed for impersonation of police/fire vehicle. On another note IF you are have a snowplow you MUST USE AN AMBER STROBE.
Number# 11 2007 H3x Desert Orange

SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTON
1995 H1 350 HT GAS Black
2001 H1 Open Top Black
2004 H2 SUV Yellow
2004 H2 SUV Black
2005 H2 SUT Black
2006 H3 ADV Black
2006 H3 ADV RED
2007 H3x Desert Orange
2008 H2 Black/Sedona
2009 H3T Alpha Solar Flare
Old 12-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote from the NYS Driver's manual, chapter 5:

"Personal vehicles driven by volunteer fire fighters responding to alarms are allowed to display blue lights, and those driven by volunteer ambulance or rescue squad members may display green lights. Amber lights on hazard vehicles such as snow plows and tow trucks warn other drivers of possible dangers. Flashing amber lights are also used on rural mail delivery vehicles and school buses to warn approaching traffic of their presence. The vehicles displaying blue, green, or amber lights are not authorized emergency vehicles. Their drivers must obey all traffic laws. While you are not required to yield the right-of-way, you should yield as a courtesy if you can do so safely."

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmanual...al.htm#col-lgh
Old 12-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Leave it to NYS to make some screwy laws. I know in MI and TN, you had to yield to volunteer firemen/women if their red lights were flashing. As for green...I never heard that before and don't remember ever seeing any green while passing through or working in NY.

Like I said earlier, let a Federal Law take over, and make it common in all states. Screw the tenth amendment
Old 12-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPan099
Quote from the NYS Driver's manual, chapter 5:

"Personal vehicles driven by volunteer fire fighters responding to alarms are allowed to display blue lights, and those driven by volunteer ambulance or rescue squad members may display green lights. Amber lights on hazard vehicles such as snow plows and tow trucks warn other drivers of possible dangers. Flashing amber lights are also used on rural mail delivery vehicles and school buses to warn approaching traffic of their presence. The vehicles displaying blue, green, or amber lights are not authorized emergency vehicles. Their drivers must obey all traffic laws. While you are not required to yield the right-of-way, you should yield as a courtesy if you can do so safely."

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmanual...al.htm#col-lgh

Absolutely riduculous. So essentially, your law says that volunteer fire fighters can put a flashing light on their car for their own pleasure and to make them feel important. How insulting. And it makes it very clear to drivers that they are not required to yield. What are your lawmakers smoking? A courtesy? I yield the right-of-way to little old people crossing the street as a courtesy, and they don't even have flashing blue lights on them (except for the occasional old lady with a big blue hairdo).
Old 12-31-2006, 12:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

its different in ny man. Volunteer firemen are everyone and everywhere. They'll try driving around like maniacs. I was at the community college the other day cause a volunteer kid hit some other kid in a cross walk. They act like they can do anything. If there is something big going on the cops and various first responders are there first anyway. If the volunteers dont make it they dont have to. other voluteers get there. Theres volunteers closer to the house. No reason to put drivers at risk. Your only required to make a certain number of calls a year as a volunteer here. You dont need to make them they have people anyway. Plus we have a fire house every like 4 miles its rediculous. And they are like the most expensive fire houses in the world i think 7.5 million dollars for one. We also have more fire engines than NYC here. For some reason our fire houses have to have tiki bars and pools in them and stuff. I hate the volunteer fire departments here. I think we should go to a normal fire department we would pay less probly. Its a joke here on longisland. They abuse our county. People let them pass with their little super cool lights. I do all the time. But then when they drive in the center lanes and run red lights. What are they doing?

here look at this. our fire department has more trucks than nyc and LA combined.

http://business.lihistory.com/firefighters/index.html
Old 12-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

make sure you click take the tour of the biggest fire house. Theres a hummer h1 inside with the cage all over it. Its pretty cool. For some reason every fire house has a stump jumper H1 or army 6X6 or something.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

The point of my posts was to note and verify that the laws for colored lights on vehicles vary from state to state, not to raise a debate on the virtue of volunteer FF or the need to yield to them.

As far as NY state laws being "riduculous" or "screwy", you guys are entitled to your opinion just like everybody else. I currently live in an area served by a paid fire department so the issue doesn't really matter to me. Maybe if I move I will care.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Last night I saw a few volunteer firemen going to a fire here on long island and they only had blue lights.They did not push there way through the red lights they were driving somewhat normal (they are on the way to a fire).
Some people dont pay attention to the blue lights and many dont to the red that police use.

I always yield to the blue lighted volunteer firemen They might be on the way to your house,If they have some perks at the station good for them.

In Ny the young volunteers get some money towards college also the older ones get a little off there homeowner taxes.

Klints lights do look a lot better then the guys i seen out last night
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

you get free tuition at suffolk community college. Its all the kids that speed and drive crazy. I'd be doing it to if i was 18 and had a light on my car.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:18 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was 18 I installed a police motorcycle siren in my car (from dad it was in the basement he never found out) .In less than a week a local cop(nice guy) made me take it out on the spot ,he was going to take it but I told them its from my fathers 50,60s era police motorcycle and he let me bring it back home. NYC police family badge works well I still have it
He also said it was a felony to use it on the road.

I wonder where the siren went to.
probobly sold for $1.00 in the garage sale of 1991 when my parents moved.I lost alot of great stuff that day
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

nice!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Hummer Expert

Well I guess you guys all have valid points. There are alot of people that do not know how to drive I will be the first to admit sometimes I do get in a hurry to house fires when people are trapped or a wreck / car fire where people are trapped. But I do not drive like an idiot, I do not blow red lights or stop signs. I have been known to drive fast and have got in trouble a few times.. Then again I was driving our Fast Attack fire truck down the interstate a few weeks ago and they clocked me at 95MPH and didn't like that because Fire Trucks don't stop very quick. The truck has 30 Gal of foam and 300 Gal of water. Side note water weights 8.256Lb's per Gal.. The only reason I didn't get in trouble for that is because in that truck the speed od. doesn't work it was showing 75 which is just fine.

I have been doing this for a long time and I really do not see very many people saying I WANT TO RUN INTO A 800DEG. HOUSE AND PUT IT OUT! If you don't have us "volunteer?s" who is going to put out your house? the city? I think not! Think about that next time you see someone that's a volunteer, we risk our life, we pay for our gas and do not get paid a dime. The reason I do it is because I love to help people. I love when someone comes up and says thank you because you just saved there house, pet, or child from the fire. People look down on us because we aren?t paid fire fighters, but to be honest I have went to more fires than more than 2/3?s of the paid city firefighters. I a bachelors of science degree, and more than 9 years of experience in fire fighting. What I am trying to say I am not just some hot headed red neck that wants to play with that there water gun. Most all of us on my dept have degree?s and have all been to fire school an EMT and HazMat certifications.

Just alittle side note I have been to over 300 House fires, put out around 1000?s of Acre?s of grass and brush fires and more wrecks that I can count. Again thank your local fire dept when you get a chance!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Hummer Professional

Name:  Clapping.gif
Views: 262
Size:  3.9 KB Name:  thankyou.gif
Views: 248
Size:  8.7 KB
Old 01-03-2007, 06:25 AM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point