H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Hummer Novice

adamh3 is on a distinguished road
Default Chrome Fuel Door

I was wondering how hard it was to install a factory chrome fuel door on my H3. I just bought an H3 last week and was debating whether to let the dealer do it or do it myself. It is $177 istalled and everything from the dealer and I have seen the factory ones on the internet for $135. What do you all suggest?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chrome Fuel Door

dont even buy the factory one. I dont even like it. I think the real wheels chrome one looks better and it locks. Im pretty sure its cheaper. And either way they are easy enough to put in and i think you should do it yourself.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:21 AM
Steve - SanJose

I did my Real Wheels chrome locking cover in August of 2005, it was easy to install.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Hummer Guru

The Green Lantern is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh3
I was wondering how hard it was to install a factory chrome fuel door on my H3. I just bought an H3 last week and was debating whether to let the dealer do it or do it myself. It is $177 istalled and everything from the dealer and I have seen the factory ones on the internet for $135. What do you all suggest?

If you have to ask me, I would get the OEM dealer installed. Since I hate manual labor and my dealership is the greatest dealership in the west coast!! And they'll put a locking gas cap....free!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:43 AM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

OEM is fine in my opinion - to easy to pay the dealer to install at their crazy prices. But I am a cheap SOB .
Old 01-04-2007, 02:44 AM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Lantern
If you have to ask me, I would get the OEM dealer installed. Since I hate manual labor and my dealership is the greatest dealership in the west coast!! And they'll put a locking gas cap....free!

Really a good deal, locking cap from GM is almost 30 dollars.Plus (in the North East)The springs in the fuel door won't have an adverse reaction with the salt and grime.(locks bad in the salt and snow)
Old 01-04-2007, 03:35 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

I had the dealer put a locking chrome fuel door on for me. They centered it perfectly and it looks great, in my opinion. Believe it or not, I have seen some of the chrome locking fuel covers with the lock on the LEFT side, instead of the RIGHT side. That means the dealer had it turned around. Do you know what I mean? I guess it might be better that way if you're left handed. If you want the key to go in on the right side of the cover, be sure to tell them prior to installation. AND, bug them to make sure it's on tight. I've seen the seal on some sticking out or lifted. Since I'm picky with stuff on my H3, I repeated myself a couple of times to the parts manager. Once it's on, it's on ... might as well make sure it's put on right. I believe I was charged $225.00, installation included.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Hummer Professional

H3PAC is on a distinguished road

I ordered and installed the OEM chrome fuel door. It's a great quality door and looks great. The installation was actually very easy and took less than 30 minutes - and I'm a perfectionist.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy
Really a good deal, locking cap from GM is almost 30 dollars.Plus (in the North East)The springs in the fuel door won't have an adverse reaction with the salt and grime.(locks bad in the salt and snow)

I hate when people make stuff up. Im in the north east and i dont have a problem with my locking fuel cap. give me a break. Just get whatever one you think looks better man. Put it on yourself. The dealer doesnt have some super special way of putting it on. I've seen them do it in the show room. Its just some young kid from the parts department will plop it right on there the whole time asking you if its straight.