H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

schummer is on a distinguished road
Default Backup Camera

So I bought one of the 100.00 backup cameras from walmart, I'm wondering where other's have put the monitor and how did you wire the monitor?
A little help!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Elcova Rookie

sammy1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Backup Camera

I bought the same camera at Wal-mart. I mounted the monitor on top of the dash on the right side, with Velcro. I wired the camera into the backup light behind the drivers side tail light. It works great but the only problem is it sometimes interferes with the remote door locks.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

cdmintmi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Backup Camera

I bought one of those as well. I hooked the camera power to the license plate light becuase I wanted to be able to see behind me without having to put it in reverse, dont know why, I just did it that way. Aslong as my lights are on the camera is on. I wish there was a better place in the middle of the truck to put the camera. Thought about mounting it to the center cap of the spare, but I do 5 tire rotations to max the like of my Toyos and didnt want to have to deal with all that. The license plate is off to the side so I super glued mine to the info plate of my factory reciever hitch. Really helpful when trying to hook up a trailer when you can actually see the ball!!!!

I put the monitor on the driver side visor mirror lid. Visor down to see, visor up out of sight. I you do that just remember that itll probably leave an inditation on the roof liner after a while. I have lights on my brush guard and spliced the power for the monitor from the constant power on the light switch becuase its only "hot" when key is turned on (its the power for the little light on the switch). Most people tap into the power wire going down the A pillar, not sure which wire it is, but search its here somewhere, probably try some of mine. I was looking for before I decided to do it this way. (I think its orange or red but dont quote me on that, and if its not Im sure Ill be corrected)

The cameras signal is pretty weak and can somtimes get a lot interference in parking lots, I can even see some security cameras of a few offices/stores on mine sometimes, but it works pretty good for the money. Worth it if you have a 35" spare covering up what little of the back window you can see out of,and itll probably pay for itself if you use a trailer at all.
06 H3, Boulder Grey (somtimes/mostly just mud, color of mud varies), Leveling Kit, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's, Westin chrome nerf bar, chrome brush guard, Chrome kit, chrome roof bars, navigation, XM,
brush gaurd lights. Want: 4" or 6" lift, rock rails to replace the steps, roof rack w/lights, want a rack above the spare on rear door, custom seat covers...should be done then but I doubt it
Old 03-05-2010, 04:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

cdmintmi is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Backup Camera

oh yeah whatever you do, dont try to stick the velcro on the windshield like it says to do. First time the sun come out this summer (if summer gets here this year, im starting to wonder) the adhesive will soften and make a huge mess. A friend of mine did that, against my warning, and still has a big sticky spot on the windshield where his used to be.
06 H3, Boulder Grey (somtimes/mostly just mud, color of mud varies), Leveling Kit, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's, Westin chrome nerf bar, chrome brush guard, Chrome kit, chrome roof bars, navigation, XM,
brush gaurd lights. Want: 4" or 6" lift, rock rails to replace the steps, roof rack w/lights, want a rack above the spare on rear door, custom seat covers...should be done then but I doubt it