H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 03-11-2010, 05:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

cdmintmi is on a distinguished road
Default what type of locker is best choice?

been toying the idea of adding a locker to my base 3. Just wondering what you guys think is better...air lockers like ARB or electronic like eaton? I have no experience with either and was just wondering what your thoughts were
06 H3, Boulder Grey (somtimes/mostly just mud, color of mud varies), Leveling Kit, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's, Westin chrome nerf bar, chrome brush guard, Chrome kit, chrome roof bars, navigation, XM,
brush gaurd lights. Want: 4" or 6" lift, rock rails to replace the steps, roof rack w/lights, want a rack above the spare on rear door, custom seat covers...should be done then but I doubt it
Old 03-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what type of locker is best choice?

I wonder about the same and also how difficult is it to add the locker (I also have base/non-adv model unfortunately). I wouldn't do it myself, would let dealership install it. I love my truck and don't really want to look for a trade just in order to gain locker(s) if I could add at least rear locker somewhat easily.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

yeah id deffinately let the pros handle that one. just wondering if one failed more than another one or if they are both pretty solid. I imagine electronic is the cheaper way to go but not sure
06 H3, Boulder Grey (somtimes/mostly just mud, color of mud varies), Leveling Kit, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's, Westin chrome nerf bar, chrome brush guard, Chrome kit, chrome roof bars, navigation, XM,
brush gaurd lights. Want: 4" or 6" lift, rock rails to replace the steps, roof rack w/lights, want a rack above the spare on rear door, custom seat covers...should be done then but I doubt it
Old 03-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Hummer Professional

I wonder - couldn't Hummer dealership just install factory rear locker? Plus they could replace the control panel on the dashboard for the one with locker button (which our panels are missing) to have it all neat... I'd gladly pay couple of thousands for such a modification rather then trading-in my H3 low-milage (under 10k miles) for adventure model.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

ive seen someone post on here that they had a dealership install an eaton elocker on theirs. and they put a button in one of the empty holes besides the lighter. Not sure what it cost and if they would trash a warranty with such a modification though. Maybe someone here that has done this or knows something would fill us in??
Old 03-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Hummer Professional

I think that I'll ask the dealership about what are my options. I want the locker really bad.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:44 AM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

go with the Eaton ELocker. They are the most reliable ones out there period. That is why they use them from the factory.

I have the elocker in my front diff as well. and did the install myself. honestly its really not as hard to do as you think.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

bennersj is on a distinguished road

I like the ARB and have never heard bad about them that is why I went that way. Plus it it will be nice to have a small compressor onboard for emergency. A local shop I called wouldn't even install an Eaton E-locker for me but would put anything else in I would bring them. The guy said he is not a big fan of them so chooses not to do the installs.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

theBroken is on a distinguished road

As far as durability you can't really say one is better than the other. Everybody form ATV's to crazy 1 ton offroaders use both and neither ever complain. Each will have their certain amount of failures, anything mass produced will. I would give durability to eaton but just slightly. They have their lockers in more vehicles than anybody else so the handful of E-locker's I've seen fail can't be compared to the zero ARB's I've seen fail because 70% of the 4x4's with push button lockers are eatons. You can't compare them numbers.

Now as far as longevity & durability, the eaton E-locker falls far short of the ARB by a long shot and here's why. Metal! Simply metal! In any mechanical piece with lubricated parts, eventually it will fail. The reason it fails over time is because the metal to metal contact slowly breaks down. This can be seen when they are in the form of shavings and metal dust. In a diff without a locker them metal shavings get ground down over and over again till they get drained out in your fluid when you change it. This is true for a ARB locker, but not in a E-locker. The #1 reason a Eaton E-locker will not outlast a ARB air locker is because the Eaton E-locker uses a magnet to engage the locker where a ARB air locker uses compressed air. So over time all them metal shavings and dust are not just floating around in the gear fluid but instead its sticking to the magnet. When this happens it makes the face of that locker turn into sand paper which then eats away at the pins and locking mechanism causing it to fail prematurely. Changing your fluid often will reduce this greatly but under the same circumstances over time the ARB will outlast a Eaton E-locker.

Now this may fail at 100k or 300k but you get the idea.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

mailsurf is on a distinguished road

I?ve been looking into this for the last month; I can?t buy Eaton lookers in SA but can buy ARB. From my research I?ve found a number of pro?s and con?s.

Firstly I have an Adventure that has a rear diff which is basically the same as E-Locker, it?s engaged by pressing a button and 12v is sent to the diff. This fire?s up a magnet that then engages the locking mechanism. My standard electronic diff has failed twice, both times down to electrics rather than a mechanical failure and mess inside.

E-Locker Pro?s
Cheaper

E-Locker Con?s
Only recommend in 4 low, a reason for this is, if your diff gets hot the magnet can function less efficient and the locker will disengage, or fail totally, which is what I think happened to mine.

Air-Locker Pro?s
No metal to metal contact and no magnet to overheat or fail.
Can be used in 4-H as well as 4 low.
You don?t have to stop the H3, change to 4-L to engage the locker.
The locker can run up to speeds of 80k?s but drivers be warned, this is controlled only by the driver and things can go wrong, but works well if you are driving in stand, or want to engage in sand if you suddenly come across a difficult section.

Air-Locker Con?s
You still have a failure point, the compressor so you can?t get away from the electrics.
More expensive.

But in my opinion you get what you pay for and will be going for ABR, unless anyone else can throw in some valid arguments.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBroken
As far as durability you can't really say one is better than the other. Everybody form ATV's to crazy 1 ton offroaders use both and neither ever complain. Each will have their certain amount of failures, anything mass produced will. I would give durability to eaton but just slightly. They have their lockers in more vehicles than anybody else so the handful of E-locker's I've seen fail can't be compared to the zero ARB's I've seen fail because 70% of the 4x4's with push button lockers are eatons. You can't compare them numbers.

Now as far as longevity & durability, the eaton E-locker falls far short of the ARB by a long shot and here's why. Metal! Simply metal! In any mechanical piece with lubricated parts, eventually it will fail. The reason it fails over time is because the metal to metal contact slowly breaks down. This can be seen when they are in the form of shavings and metal dust. In a diff without a locker them metal shavings get ground down over and over again till they get drained out in your fluid when you change it. This is true for a ARB locker, but not in a E-locker. The #1 reason a Eaton E-locker will not outlast a ARB air locker is because the Eaton E-locker uses a magnet to engage the locker where a ARB air locker uses compressed air. So over time all them metal shavings and dust are not just floating around in the gear fluid but instead its sticking to the magnet. When this happens it makes the face of that locker turn into sand paper which then eats away at the pins and locking mechanism causing it to fail prematurely. Changing your fluid often will reduce this greatly but under the same circumstances over time the ARB will outlast a Eaton E-locker.

Now this may fail at 100k or 300k but you get the idea.

The magnet is an electro magnet...... so the only time it might pick up shavings is when you engage it. And if you change fluids when you are supposed this should not be an issue.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

Has anyone fitted a front diff lock on a 3.5lt H3 which has been raised, I'd like some feed back on if the CV joint will hold up?

And has anyone had a problem with the size of the H3's front diff and strength?

Cheers
Old 04-10-2010, 03:25 AM
Elcova Rookie

JASTECH is on a distinguished road

I will be getting my H3 real soon and would like to know too. What about the OX Locker? Is their a stronger front drive for the H3? I am still trying to learn all I can to make changes on mine.
Thanks, JASTECH
Old 04-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

Good luck on getting your Hummer.

I've done a lot of mods to mine, if you haven't already seen my post about building a 4x4 rather than buying a 4x4, you can find my mods here!

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=39293

I just need to decided about the front locker, I've heard the diff is not really that strong, and I've also increased the power of my H3 so worried I will smashed the diff, I've also put 35" tyres on which provides a lot more traction and with the raise I've put on mine 3" to 4" the angle of the CV joints are such that I could also start breaking them.

I use mine mainly off road and the reason I want to put a front locker on is to try and control the power a bit more as the traction control on the front really isn't designed for off road, you get this grab and let go action which cause's bouncing at the front end and this is what happens when all the power is unleashed and not controlled correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYFrd1flwg8