H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 02-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Hummer Novice

n5bxp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Has anyone else had to have the entire head replaced? I smell recall.

So if there is no problem, why were H3's and Colorado Pickups made after 4/1/06 have newly designed heads. The head problem is more common than you seem to think.

I traded a 2005 4x4 Colorado for the H3. Go look at the Colorado web sites. The problem is common there also.

This should be a recall.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone else had to have the entire head replaced? I smell recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bxp
The truth is that GM shipped the H3's with a defective head.

According to who.....you?

All H3's made before 4/1/06 have heads that are defective. After that date, the H3 was built with new heads.

And that information was provided to you.....how?

Mine was made in March 06. I bought it April 29 06.This means that mine was made, and was sold, with GM knowing that it has a head that has a fairly good chance of developing a problem.

You can prove this?

If I had known about the problem I would have delayed the purchase for a month. I am very upset with this.

That's obvious.....emotional nellie

I took the truck to Colorado in September, ran several 4x4 roads, a 3000 mile round trip. I am not sure I would do this again, and risk the problem developing a long way from home, and then have to deal with a week long repair a long way from home. This is a vehicle disabling problem.

Mine was built in April/May '05, I have 43K miles on it. No check engine light.

To ad insult to injury, the 07 H3, which does not have a defective head, has a 100,000 mile warranty.

Now you're just whining.

Everyone with a vehicle made before 4/1/06 should complain to Hummer, and GM. This was sold as a premier brand, and we should not have been treated like this.

Say what? "My H3 could potentially have a bad cylinder head"???

Eveyone who has been around the block once, knows the inherent risks of purchasing a "First Model Year" vehicle. GM has yet to leave me in the learch, thanks mostly in part to my Dealership. (HUMMER OF SACRAMENTO ROCKS )
Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 AM
Hummer Novice

n5bxp is on a distinguished road

GM Bulletin # 1845907. Dated 7/6/06. The vins with defective heads are less than 68287591. This is the last 8 digits of the vin.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:00 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
GM Bulletin # 1845907. Dated 7/6/06. The vins with defective heads are less than 68287591. This is the last 8 digits of the vin.
Show me......
Old 02-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So if there is no problem, why were H3's and Colorado Pickups made after 4/1/06 have newly designed heads. The head problem is more common than you seem to think.

I traded a 2005 4x4 Colorado for the H3. Go look at the Colorado web sites. The problem is common there also.

This should be a recall.

Where did anyone say there isn't a problem. I gave an example rebutting your stupid claim that all H3's built before April '06 have defective cylinder heads. Obviously there have been problems with some engines and GM has addressed the problem. So quit being such a drama queen.

BTW, what qualifies you to determine when GM, or any automobile manufacturer, should issue a recall?

Old 02-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

Av1ator is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
Call Customer Assistance at 1-866-HUMMER6 and open a case. Demand was probably the wrong word to use. But explain what problems you've had and what you have been through. Then ask them to upgrade your warranty. Obviously, there's no guarantee they'll give you anything. They may just offer GMPP or service vouchers, or just extend the warranty on the parts that have failed. And yes, some of us have been compensated in some way when we had major recurring problems.

I called Customer Assistance yesterday and today they gave me an 84 month 100,000 mile warrenty extension on the engine only. Seems fair, I did ask for the warrenty to be extended to the entire drivetrain but they weren't willing to go that far.

I got my H3 back today, after almost three weeks in the shop. The new head is performing perfectly so far.

Thanks for the suggestion, it certainly paid off for me!

Last edited by Av1ator : 02-02-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av1ator
Thanks for the suggestion, it certainly paid off for me!

You're welcome and glad it worked out for ya.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed originaly heads went bad with lower miles,now I see some have higher miles.
Im at 24,000 miles no problems.

Im curious though ,Has anyone with a bad head been using synthetic oil ?
It might take longer for problem to come up.
I have been using synthetic since the 2nd oil change.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Steve - SanJose

Yea, I've noticed higher mileage H3''s reporting the problem. But so far I've had no problems at 31,000 hard miles.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

Av1ator is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto

I have used synthetic oil since my second oil change. Just had the second head put on at 37,200 miles.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

H3Eric is off the scale

fourfourto, I have had synthetic oil since the first oil change around 5000 miles. I have now about 24000 miles and my car will go to the shop tomorrow for the first head replacement. my production date is approx. april/may 2005.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
I noticed originaly heads went bad with lower miles,now I see some have higher miles.
Im at 24,000 miles no problems.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

GPan099 is on a distinguished road

I just returned from the dealership with some bad news.

My check engine light was on, engine was running rough, onstar reported a misfire problem, and the dealer diagnosed the codes which require a head replacement as per the service bulletin.

He ordered the parts, (head, gasket & 16 bolts?) and said the truck would probably be in the shop for a week for repair.

He gave it back to me and will call when the parts arrive. About 10,800 miles on mine w/ 2 oil changes @ 5000 & 10,500 w/ regular oil.

VIN # is below the number indicated on the post.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Hummer Novice

Casey is on a distinguished road

Add another to the replacement list. 36k miles. 11/05 build date.

Check engine light came on and codes indicated misfire on #4 cylinder. Dealer informed me I was getting excessive blowby on that cylinder. Waiting on a final resolution from the dealer but will likely be a head replacement.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:26 AM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to bring back this long exhausting thread but... I'm having the same problem with my colorado. 5500 miles, it's been in the shop for 31 days with no end in sight. Anyway, most of you tore this poor guy a new one when all he wanted was a little advice. Except for f5, I saw knowone admit to being a little rough on the guy and possibly being wrong about him. I know you hate the trolls but geez at least admit when your wrong. Interesting that towards the end there were alot more owners with this problem. And now all of you who called him a troll have disappeared. As usual though F5 stepped up.
All right, let me have it!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:45 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine is going in with 15xxx miles. And from what I was told today, they are backordered.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

RMST is off the scale

Scheduled oil change at Lynch Hummer for last Friday. Check engine light came on Wednesday. Noticed that it was idling rough. Explained this to the service manager and saw a knowing look come over his face. Sure enough they told me it was the cylinder issue and that it could be up to two weeks to repair. Drove off the lot in a Black H3 from enterprise rental. I guess it's always a bummer to have your truck or car in the shop but Lynch has the best service department I've ever been to and they couldn't be more accomodating or supportive. I have complete faith that they will get the problem fixed and after driving the rental for a couple of days it has become very clear to me that my H3 was struggling. I forgot how smooth my truck once was.

Also, if you are in the area you should stop in at Lynch and check out the "Black Widow" edition H3 that they have on the showroom floor. It is unbelievable. I'll take pics when I go back for pick up.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

graydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrlvr
Sorry to bring back this long exhausting thread but... I'm having the same problem with my colorado. 5500 miles, it's been in the shop for 31 days with no end in sight. Anyway, most of you tore this poor guy a new one when all he wanted was a little advice. Except for f5, I saw knowone admit to being a little rough on the guy and possibly being wrong about him. I know you hate the trolls but geez at least admit when your wrong. Interesting that towards the end there were alot more owners with this problem. And now all of you who called him a troll have disappeared. As usual though F5 stepped up.
All right, let me have it!
I agree 100%
Old 02-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting Head!

My check engine light has come on and later gone off several times. Once in cold weather in low range and another going up steep hills in low range and recently in town but always went off. I was in De-Nile hoping it wasn't the dread head fix problem.

The 3rd time my check engine light came on, engine was idling rough, I called onstar from my driveway and they said it was an engine misfire,

I took it to the dealer on Monday and got a free Caddy loan for the day. The dealer said it needed a head replacement.

They ordered the head (2-3 week back log) and said I can dive the truck until the parts get in. The back log tells me this must be happening quite often

I said will a new head fix the problem and the service manager said yes.

I need to check into getting the warranty extended by GM Hummer.
I have 9500 miles on it also with w/ 2 oil changes.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 02-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Hummer Veteran

PackerFever is off the scale

I have been trying to avoid this thread for fear of jinxing my good luck. I just got back from a trip to Las Vegas for a convention, Grand Canyon, and through Moab, (sorry Neocon, I was with three other people and we were hiking, no off road this time) I was going well over 80 mph much of the time and now have of 30k on the ride....Everything is still good.

Has anyone asked if this is specific to Automatics vs 5 speeds? I have a 5 speed stick and feel everything is fine.
Yellow 06 H3 5 Speed ~ Luxury Off Road, Black and Chrome trim, Sunroof, Leather, XM Monsoon, Brushguard, Rail Steps, Yakima Pro 16, Mud Flaps, Hard Spare Tire Cover, pwdr coat fuel door.... .Riding like a Spirit on the Wind.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:07 AM
Hummer Professional

lance-n is off the scale

i sure hope i dont have to drive 1,100 miles back to the dealer!!! cabo to san diego, although it would be a fun trip assuming i don't get stuck in some long stretch of desert highway with no cell service and just greedy bandidos waiting for an easy opportunity!
i have 14,250 miles on mine and about a week or so ago i started noticing a little bit of engine vibration when i stop. i have tried turning off the ac to see if it is just the extra pull on the engine at idle. it doesn't seem to matter whether ac is on or off. i have not had a check engine light come on - ever since i have had the h3. it doesn't seem to be getting worse, but it makes me nervous. i ordered a new fuel filter, as maybe it is full of crap from the sh*tty fuel we get here. mine was built in june of 2005 and i have done several oil changes.
are these the prelim symptoms that others have been experiencing? if so, i would like to prevent the problem before it is unfixable here locally.

F5 please let me know your wisdom!!!!! let me know what you recommend please.

<<<< prayer circle

1995 White mint OJ mobile (full size Ford Bronco) - sold

2007 Silver Nissan Armada - wifemobile
2005 42' Tiara Sportfisher - Tournament Rigged and 40 knots!