H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 03-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale
Default Re: Has anyone else had to have the entire head replaced? I smell recall.

How many have had to have theirs replaced more than once? I'm noticing that my h3 doesn't idle properly yet again. I'm hoping it's not this issue once again.

I may just trade for an '07 or up to an h2
Old 03-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone else had to have the entire head replaced? I smell recall.

I didn't take a big hit trading up to 07. check into it when the big offers come out again.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

I know I'm speaking of a colorado but, Just got mine back 2 days ago after 40 days in the service dept. and a newly installed head. Now it's idling rough again. They put it on the computer and now a misfire in cylinder 3 . Damn...
Old 03-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

hmrlvr and Dani

Sorry to hear that your check engine light has come on again and your engine is idleing rough AGAIN!

My new head came in but the dealer is waiting on the head gasket!

Maybe next week I can get the head fixed

Sorry guys but if the new head doesn't fix the problem for good, I'm done with GM

I am not going take a hit and pay more money to trade up to a 2007 model just because the 2006 head is having problems. How do we know the 2007 head has corrected the problem? And I am not going to get the head replaced every 10K miles.

If it is a recall I want a new 2007 H3 to replace the 2006 gratis from GM.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dan
hmrlvr and Dani

I am not going take a hit and pay more money to trade up to a 2007 model just because the 2006 head is having problems. How do we know the 2007 head has corrected the problem? And I am not going to get the head replaced every 10K miles.

If it is a recall I want a new 2007 H3 to replace the 2006 gratis from GM.

I understand completely. I am presently on hold with GM and have been for 48 minutes. No lie, 48 minutes. I'm not hanging up, I've got all day
Old 03-10-2007, 12:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

GPan099 is on a distinguished road

Called the dealer this afternoon. They've had my H3 since Monday doing the head replacement. They said they're waiting on a special order bolt & hopefully it will arrive Monday. They'll call me Monday to revise the status. The service manager mentioned that she had 7 H3s in the shop for the same cylinder head issue.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale

[quote=Desert Dan]hmrlvr and Dani

Sorry guys but if the new head doesn't fix the problem for good, I'm done with GM
[\quote]

This is actually the first GM product I've ever owned. Now that I think of it- it's the first American made vehicle I've owned. Only reason I'd buy another GM is the fact that despite all the issues I've had with my H3- I love it. It's fun to drive and I can't imagine being without it.

*how the hell did I mess the quote up?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Im not liking what im hearing on this thread
I think it should be deleted.

WTF do I do if my head goes at 50,000.01 miles
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:43 AM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I like my H3 too. It's my first GM vehicle but not my first US made vehicle.

Today is the first I have heard of people having it (rough idle, check engine light, and engine misfire code) happen a second time and this worries me about the fix.

If it is a recall issue they should let us know ASAP and treat all H3 owners the same and offer an extended warranty and guarantee the head replacement.

Replacing a cylinder head isn't rocket science and it shouldn't take a week to complete the job. I don't want them to rush it but a week is too long. I also worry about non-head related complications after the head replacement like oil leaks, timing chain issues, camshaft etc.

I bought a new vehicle to avoid this kind of stuff and never thought I'd have a head replacement at this time!

More info here...
http://www.hummerforums.com/m_31906/tm.htm

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 03-10-2007, 02:09 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

it sucks for you guys that have had this problem but it still seems like a 1 percent build issue . personaly if it happens to mine i would trade it in rather than take the chance of failing after warranty expires . i would raise some hell and let them know you expect a great deal on the new one and top trade-in dollar if you will stay with hummer . but first i would try to get them to put in a new 3.7
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 03-10-2007, 02:20 AM
Steve - SanJose

My dealer service writer implied that it's a greater than 1% issue by far and he used the dreaded recall word as a possibility. He was surprised that at 34,000 miles of hard daily driving that I had not brought my H3 yet for the problem. Sounds like there's a 30 day wait for entire head assembly that gets replaced these days.

If mine blows shortly after warranty expires, I would expect GM to cough up help, otherwise end of business as far as I'm concerned.

No, the solution for the head problem is not to buy a 2007 and suck up thousands of dollars in depreciation loss on the 2006.

I'll keep driving my H3 (almost) like I rented it.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

Av1ator is off the scale

If you haven't done it you should call Hummer Customer assistance ( 1-866-HUMMER6) and request the 100K warrenty on the engine. Sewie advised me to do and it was easy to do, two phone calls in two days and as advertised the extended warrenty paperwork came within a few weeks.

The customer service person bragged on and on about how GM was going to stand beside me and help me out. I did request the warrenty be extended to the entire powertrain but they were not willing to go that far.

This is the first American made new car I have owned since 1981 and am dissapointed with the problems. Lets face it, building cylinder heads is not exactly a new thing for GM.

I had a phone survey from GM a few weeks ago and I LET THEM HAVE IT about the cylinder head problems. I was told the comments went directly to GM. Maybe it will do some good.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:55 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av1ator
Lets face it, building cylinder heads is not exactly a new thing for GM.

X2

No $hit they have probably built close to a billion , so i hope they can get their crap together on this real soon nice you got the warranty without too much hassle . but i dont think you should of even had to call , they should be offering it right up front and extending the 60 months .

hope things work out for all of you with this happening
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 03-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

My vin is less than the evil vin number mentioned before

Anything happens to mine I wanna used H2
Old 03-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Steve - SanJose

What's the deal with the warranty extension? Is that only for those that had the head replaced already?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

Av1ator is off the scale

Just call them up and tell them you are aware of the engine problems and that they have given others the extended warrenty and you want them to stand beside you all the way and give you the extended warretnty too like they have done so many others. After all you don't want to be on your own when the check engine light comes on at 50,100 miles.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
What's the deal with the warranty extension? Is that only for those that had the head replaced already?

When I called GM to ask about a warranty extension they said they don't do warranty extensions. I think I had a lame advisor to help me out. This is the second time my engine has had issues. Cant remember the exact mileage from the first time (it's in here somewhere I'm just too lazy to look) but this time around- I have around 28k on it.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av1ator
Just call them up and tell them you are aware of the engine problems and that they have given others the extended warrenty and you want them to stand beside you all the way and give you the extended warretnty too like they have done so many others. After all you don't want to be on your own when the check engine light comes on at 50,100 miles.

Sounds nice, but has this been done before successfully by an H3 owner that has not yet had head replaced?

Actually I'm pretty confident I could get them to cough up at 50,100+ miles if necessary. I've received post warranty coverage from Ford and Porsche in the past without a fight. But I'd like to see GM step up in a proactive way.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

Had the check engine light on for a couple of days and it went into the local GMC dealer this morning to see what's wrong. Onstar was saying engine misfire.

At least I have alot of good info from the forum, we'll see what they say this afternoon
Old 04-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhillsat
Had the check engine light on for a couple of days and it went into the local GMC dealer this morning to see what's wrong. Onstar was saying engine misfire.

At least I have alot of good info from the forum, we'll see what they say this afternoon

I've been wondering about that west, you mentioned it on the radio on Hells.

Well, new head for west eh?