H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 12-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

bullsnake is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How much louder are soft tops?

Thanks H2 rocks!

What year were both H1's? Were they Alpha's? My '96 wagon is fairly loud and I don't want to get anything louder. I do have to believe though that any of the new H1's have to be quiter than my old dog...
Old 12-09-2007, 08:53 PM
mstams

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 Rocks
I just went thru this. I tried the open top first and couldn't stand it. My husband was even amazed at the road noise. We jumped on the freeway and hit it and had to yell at each other. No thanks.

Was this comparison in an Alpha? Funny, because I compared the two on the freeway and could not tell much of a difference at all.

I do agree with you about the storage space. It is nice to have the interior room in the rear, but it's also nice taking the top off.

So there are trade-offs to both.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Hummer Expert

Badace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstams
Was this comparison in an Alpha? Funny, because I compared the two on the freeway and could not tell much of a difference at all.

I do agree with you about the storage space. It is nice to have the interior room in the rear, but it's also nice taking the top off.

So there are trade-offs to both.

Definitly. I would not feel good about throwing a deer in my wagon. I would go open top. Consider just having the convertible and the rewards yuo get out of it. If this is a rig you want to keep long term, (even getting a daily driver on top of it) Then a soft top affords much more rewards. (JMO) I would never sell it unless it was a mechanical P-O-S.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsnake
Thanks H2 rocks!

What year were both H1's? Were they Alpha's? My '96 wagon is fairly loud and I don't want to get anything louder. I do have to believe though that any of the new H1's have to be quiter than my old dog...
They were both Alpha's, and I really didn't spend a lot of time in them. The soft top was one we couldn't wait to get out of. I'm not sure if the top was even tight. We noticed it wagging and moving and couldn't wait to get out.

There are definitely trade offs. I'd never allow a dead deer thrown in my truck either, soft top or not. ICK!

I really liked the wagon and I can fit all my stuff in it with no worries about anything getting wet. If there was a rack to fit over a soft top I might have considered it more. If you have an earlier model soft top I've heard the new ones are really padded and fit great comparitively speaking. So if you like the ability to take it on and off and don't need the room, you'd probably like the one on a newer Alpha.

Good luck!
Old 12-14-2007, 04:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

lvs is off the scale

There are roof racks for the open top H1's.

I have an '01 open top and it is quiter than my friends '02 wagon. He drove mine for 3 hours on the interstate and couldn't believe how much quiter it was. The later year models do have better insulation and the tires have a lot to do with road noise as well though, so make sure you compare apples to apples. Also, some owners have put extra insullation in the dog house to successfully remove quite a bit of noise.