H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

bullsnake is on a distinguished road
Default anyone ever done the 2" suspension lift?

Good afternoon everyone!

Still poking around different ideas with the '06, and was just wondering if anyone has done the 2" suspension lift. I was looking at something like the Predator Motorsports or similar 2" billet inserts. My '06 is sitting on it's original springs and shocks and I was thinking about freshening them up and putting the lift in when I do it. How bad are the issues with the half-shafts and diffs? Are they more likely to wear out faster? Should I go with the 12K half shafts while I'm digging around?
I really appreciate all of the good advice-I am loving having the H1-I cannot imagine not having one around now!!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: anyone ever done the 2" suspension lift?

Soon grasshopper I will be able to enlighten you further on this subject. I dont know about the quality of the Predator kit, with all the issues others have reported over the course of the last year I would advise to stay away from their products.

Not that long ago you were talking about dropping some serious coin into modding your truck, I would recommend the Rubber Duck kit. Its the best kit out there, it retains the factory spec on the geometry of the suspension, and is the only kit to do so. Travis also includes new upper ball joints, and if you are looking to replace the springs he has the best price on them. IMO the Duck kit is the best one around, largely due to its retaining the stock suspension geometry, and this is coming from me, the guy who has a competitors kit.

If you can swing it I would buy the 12K half shafts and center the front diff. The half shafts are going to be pitched a bit more then the stock suspension setup. The 12K's and their durability will greatly help alleviate any problems on the trails. And by centering the front diff you will only need to carry one spare shaft on the trails (as we talked about in your other thread).

As far as shocks go: The stock shocks in the H1 suck. They generally dont last over 50K. My truck has the Cepek adjustable shocks in it. The ride a hell of alot better then stock, are physically MUCH larger, and will last alot longer. You'll spend 1200.00 on them, but they come with a lifetime warranty. IMO, they are well worth it in the end. And if you do the lift, its the perfect time to replace the shocks.

-007=
Old 12-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Hummer Authority

Wait, wait, wait. Bull do you have a 96 or an 06? If you have an Alpha, that changes alot of things.

-007=
Old 12-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ahhh-my bad. I am talking about the mods on the '96, not the '06. I have been beating the bushes looking for a good '06 wagon so I guess I have Alpha on my mind

The Rubber Duck stuff looks AWESOME. I love the stuff-I need to get ahold of them and see if I can have my truck shipped up to them or meet them so I can turn them loose on it. Looking at the website I could burn up $20K plus there pretty fast!

Am I an idiot for wanting to really trick this old '96 out? after all of the mods will I still be left with a far inferior truck than say an '03? If you have read through some of my initial posts you will know that the '96 is going to be a long term family member, so I would like to make it the best that I can.

Thanks!!
Old 12-20-2007, 02:35 AM
Hummer Guru

3Hummer is on a distinguished road

cant you guys just be satisfied with your 16 inch ground clearance as it is! some of us have to live with only 9 inches

2003 H1 HMCS: Ocean Blue Metallic, Grey Leather Interior

2010 H3 Alpha: Canyon Metallic, Cashmere Interior

2017 VW Jetta S

2012 Cessna 182T Skylane

used to have: 2007 base H3 Slate Blue

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
Old 12-20-2007, 02:59 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ha ha! My wife says I have Tim Tayloritis-I'm Always looking for more power!!

The springs on the old '96er are looking a little tired and I thought I'd throw this post out to see what everyone else is doing or has had good luck with. I thought as long as I had it torn apart for springs, I might as well go all the way!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsnake

Am I an idiot for wanting to really trick this old '96 out? after all of the mods will I still be left with a far inferior truck than say an '03? If you have read through some of my initial posts you will know that the '96 is going to be a long term family member, so I would like to make it the best that I can.

Thanks!!

The 03 trucks have:

A better block casting than your truck probably has (I assume your engine has been replaced, and highly doubt you need to worry about another bad block)

They are quieter to ride in, but you can add sound deadening to your 96 and accomplish the same results.

03's have 17 inch wheels, which you can upgrade to if you'd like.

Upgraded HVAC, which I would guess that you have had the 97.5 upgrade done.

You may want to consider the 98 diffs which are geared a bit better for highway driving (lower RPMS)

A new dog house. Again you can get that if you'd like.

Updated dash/control center. No big deal IMO.

Monsoon stereo. A nice touch.

The rear locker.

ABS/TT4. ABS can be a BIG hazard off road, you dont want it. TT4 can be better for street driving (ice/snow). With practice you wont need it, personally I would not want it.

LED side marker lights. You can upgrade to those for 130.00 at the dealer.

A better brush guard, but still not as heavy duty as an aftermarket.

I personally do think that a 96 is an inferior truck. Hardcore off road H1 enthusiasts swear by the pre 1998 trucks for their off road abilities. The rear locker of the 03 does help the off road ability of the TT4 trucks, and gave the H1 alot of its credit back as a kick ass of road vehicle. When its all said and done I feel that you could make your 96 as good or better then an 03 rig for considerably less then buying another truck.

-007=
Old 12-21-2007, 02:16 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for the post Carey!
I had a nice long talk with Travis DePew over at Rubber Duck today-heck of a great guy and seems to know his stuff! He is helping me find a transport for my '96 and I am going to basically address all of the things that you addressed in your post. I already have the HVAC upgrade done, as well as the shift boot. My truck has the wrap over the hood and attach to the airlift hooks front brush guard. The truck came with an AVIC N2 head unit with GPS and DVD-I don't get the disk changer of the later models, but I'm not a big stereo guy anyway.
I am going to do the cool head kit, wastegate, exhaust, suspension with the 2" lift, 12K half shafts, underbody protection and rock sliders, lockers, sound deadening material, and maybe a few other little tricks just to keep it interesting. The ABS/TT4 are actually features that I don't really miss, my previous off roader was a Defender 90 and my current sporty car is a Dodge Viper-neither of which have any traction control, ABS, or electronic assistance. My wife's Range Rover has HDC, ABS, and a slug of other off road wizardry that always scared the fleas off me the few times that we used it.

This should be a fun project!

Last edited by bullsnake : 12-21-2007 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Hummer Authority

Thats a very cool list of upgrades. Are you going to center the front diff? Make sure to post pics of the beast when you get it back.

-007=
Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

Yup-centering it while he has it-I'm hoping I can get Travis to send just a few in progress pictures while he has it so I can post up here. He says it will probably be a three week project once he gets the truck to his shop. The shipping company is supposed to pick my truck up on the 8th, and I'll be counting the days until it get back!!