H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 12-08-2007, 03:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

bullsnake is on a distinguished road
Default How much louder are soft tops?

All I've ever had or ridden in have been wagons over the last several years. I was just wondering if someone could weigh in on the ride quality difference between the '04-'06 Soft tops and the wagons...
Old 12-08-2007, 03:23 AM
mstams

Default Re: How much louder are soft tops?

I think the sound level in the newer models are fairly comparable between wagons and open tops. My '06 open top Alpha of course is quieter than my previous '02 wagon. When purchasing, I drove both open top and wagon Alphas and could not tell much of a difference. There is something about the wagon enclosing the sounds from the rear versus the open top isolating the front from the rear than makes up for the canvas top. So to me they seemed about equal.

I would make a purchase decision based on what I liked versus what I thought was quieter...
Old 12-08-2007, 03:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

phazer42 is on a distinguished road

the open tops are noiser but not by a lot.... that is if you have the factory insulated roof on it... if you put a bikini top on it it gets a tad noiser... but when you drive under over passes and such you can "hear" them.... where as in a wagon you can't.... but other then that, in my 2001 I haven't noticed a difference with the heating / cooling with the top on then that of other wagons I have been in....
Old 12-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks Phazer42. My work really dictates a wagon, but with the abundance of nice soft top '04's out there in comparison to the wagons I am toying with the idea of a rack and a series of Pelican cases. From a rational standpoint I am going to keep looking a little longer for a wagon, but it sure would be nice to cruise around in the spring/summer/fall with the top down and enjoy the weather! Does anyone make a locking bed cover? are there any other in bed storage options?
Old 12-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

mstams-

How much flapping is there on the soft top? I have had a few Defender 90's and FJ's and it sounded like you were driving a four season tent in a hurricane when you were cruising on the interstate...
Old 12-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

Has anyone ever done the aux seat on the hump in a soft top? My kids sometimes like bringing friends along for a cruise and the wagon I have now has an aux seat that I can take out...
Old 12-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

I have both the bikini top and the stock insulated top... the bikini top flaps at hwy speeds, but the stock insulated one is solid all the time....

I also have the jump seat in my truck and my 3 yr old daughter loves it. It is really only good for kids, and due to limited space, they will be putting their feet on your A/C cover to your glove box, as long as their shooes aren't covered in mud its ussually not an issue....
Old 12-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

there are a few locking bed covers, but Rubber Duck probably makes the best looking one of them all... www.rubberduck4x4.com
Old 12-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

I'm assuming the Alpha's have a pretty good heating and cooling system as well? I'm in Iowa and we currently have 6" of snow on the ground with an expected high today of 12 degrees. The heater in the 'ol 96 will run you out on high! I'm assuming the insulated soft top stays nice and toasty too in the winter?
Haven't really had an H1 through the summer-can the AC keep you from getting completely pitted out if you were heading out to an event?

Thanks!!
Old 12-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Hummer Guru

3Hummer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsnake
Has anyone ever done the aux seat on the hump in a soft top? My kids sometimes like bringing friends along for a cruise and the wagon I have now has an aux seat that I can take out...

I've been in a few H1 open tops that have had an Aux seat on the center hump

2003 H1 HMCS: Ocean Blue Metallic, Grey Leather Interior

2010 H3 Alpha: Canyon Metallic, Cashmere Interior

2017 VW Jetta S

2012 Cessna 182T Skylane

used to have: 2007 base H3 Slate Blue

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
Old 12-08-2007, 07:44 PM
mstams

Quote:
mstams-

How much flapping is there on the soft top? I have had a few Defender 90's and FJ's and it sounded like you were driving a four season tent in a hurricane when you were cruising on the interstate...

There is very little flapping at all. I was pleasantly surprised at how tight the top is as 70+ mph on the freeway. Keep in mind that even in the Alpha this is still a loud truck, so there is enough other noise that you really don't notice the top once you're used to it.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:29 PM
mstams

Quote:
Has anyone ever done the aux seat on the hump in a soft top?

Yes. I have the aux seat in my Alpha. It's nice to have for young children, but don't expect teenagers or adults to want to use it. Also, the comment about watching their feet is right on. I'm always reminding them to be careful of scuffing the center console.

As far as comparing the fit of the aux seat in the wagon versus the open top. They fit exactly the same. The only real difference is that there is slightly more headroom in the open top -- which is something that is often overlooked. If you drive an open top right after driving a wagon, you'll notice the extra room.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2007, 08:42 PM
mstams

Quote:
I'm assuming the Alpha's have a pretty good heating and cooling system as well? I'm in Iowa and we currently have 6" of snow on the ground with an expected high today of 12 degrees. The heater in the 'ol 96 will run you out on high! I'm assuming the insulated soft top stays nice and toasty too in the winter?
Haven't really had an H1 through the summer-can the AC keep you from getting completely pitted out if you were heading out to an event?

Thanks!!

The heating and cooling in the Alpha is probably about the same (maybe a little better) than the '02 wagon that I had. There's less room to heat and cool in the open top, so that makes a difference as well.

Heating has never been an issue for me living in the southeast. (It's 60+ degrees today...).

What is more of an issue is the cooling. During the peak summer days when the humidity and temperature are both over 90, the A/C can be a bit challenged to keep up. I added a slight tint to the windows to help reduce the interior heat, and I blast the A/C on MAX HI during the hottest months.

That helps, but the interior design of the truck is not optimal for cooling. I find most of the cold air does not make it down to the lower parts of the cabin, so you might have to plan ahead when going out to an event. Parking in the shade on a really hot day, etc.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Elcova Newbie

ARMY-1 is on a distinguished road

What about the security issue - heard about one guy a few years back.
He was staying at a Fairfield Inn out in the midwest ... had his soft-top slashed
all electronics etc. stolen out of his cab.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

JustinOK is on a distinguished road

I have a 4 door hardtop, so my opinion here is worthless, but I suspect most of the noise from HUMMERs is attributed to the engine.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

Is theft a big concern with the soft tops?

I currently have an '06 Viper SRT and am always worrying about leaving that thing parked somewhere sketchy. Is the top really easy to break into-ie the old Wranglers and Defenders, or is it pretty well sealed up other than the fact that a good Spyderco could make short work of it?

Also, how hard is the top to take off and put on? If a guy knew what he was doing could it be put on in say, less than five minutes? How 'bout stowing the top? If I get a soft top I will most definitely be getting the Rubberduck locking bed topper for it, will it fit in there?

As far as the jumpseat goes, that looks great! The only people that will ever be riding in it will be my three year old strapped into his car seat, so hopefully it will fit the bill for that!

Sorry for all of the questions, and I really do appreciate all of the answers! having only ever known the H1 in a wagon form, the soft top is a whole new animal to me!
Old 12-09-2007, 12:20 AM
mstams

Quote:
Is theft a big concern with the soft tops?

I don't really worry about it too much. I figure if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. Not too much I can do about it. Besides, that's what insurance is for...

Quote:
Is the top really easy to break into?

Actually, I would think it's more difficult than most convertibles. That's due to having solid doors and being up so high off the ground. Someone would need to jump up into the bed to gain access to the top.

Quote:
Also, how hard is the top to take off and put on? If a guy knew what he was doing could it be put on in say, less than five minutes?

Taking the top off is a piece of cake. Five minutes tops.

Putting it back on is not that bad either, but it does take longer than removing. After a while, you can get the time down to under fifteen minutes.

The biggest challenge for me is the bulkiness and size of the top. The truck is so wide and the top a little cumbersome that I usually don't attempt it without help from my son. It's just much easier when you have help from an extra set of hands.

Quote:
How 'bout stowing the top? If I get a soft top I will most definitely be getting the Rubberduck locking bed topper for it, will it fit in there?

I would guess that it fits in the bed without issue. You'd just have to roll and bend it to fit. I keep mine in the basement when removed. Never tried it in the bed, so I can't say for sure.

Quote:
As far as the jumpseat goes, that looks great! The only people that will ever be riding in it will be my three year old strapped into his car seat, so hopefully it will fit the bill for that!

You can get the jumpseat in the black and brown leather to exactly match the '04 two-tone interior. I think new it's about $900. You can order it from Lynch and they'll drop ship it to your door. I would get one soon while they're still available from the factory.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but any criminal with some sort of resolve will find that the back window just zips out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstams

Actually, I would think it's more difficult than most convertibles. That's due to having solid doors and being up so high off the ground. Someone would need to jump up into the bed to gain access to the top.

-007=
Old 12-09-2007, 04:45 PM
mstams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
Yes, but any criminal with some sort of resolve will find that the back window just zips out.

That's true. In fact, I'd hope they would carefully unzip the rear window and remove what they came for -- leaving the top uncut. But with my luck, that would never happen...
Old 12-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

I just went thru this. I tried the open top first and couldn't stand it. My husband was even amazed at the road noise. We jumped on the freeway and hit it and had to yell at each other. No thanks.

When we jumped in the wagon next it was a very noticeable difference. The wagon is a little heavier and it's much quieter. We still had noise inside, but not like the open top. I was suprised at how much more interior room there is in the wagon. We live in Rain country tho, and I'd like to keep my things out of the weather. I'm also not worried about snagging a tree branch and ripping the top. As far as some little jerk cutting the top goes, I never really go too many places for that to happen, unless it's the grocery store.

I need one of those seats in the middle.......