H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

jroman201 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Major Leakage...???

So I take my 04 home after buying it on New Years Day. I was so excited that I got it that I really, really, really didn't look her over too well. I know it's my own fault. I get her home and I noticed the pictures below. So I made a list of things just like the salesperson said if there was something wrong. I had a few things but nothing major, or so I thought, hope you all can tell me. It is still under the dealer warranty and I even purchased the extended warranty. She is still uner 30,000 miles and for an 04, I didn't think that it was going to be too bad. Just a note, the pictures below were taken after they serviced the truck and said it was all cleaned up. Here is a list of the things I had for the dealer to work on.

The steering made some noises when turning within a normal radius. I added some power steering fluid and this had subsided mostly but still mentioned it to the dealer.

The brakes squealed on braking at all speeds and all amounts of pressure to the brake pedal.

The salesperson said since I picked it up on a day when no one was in the service department, he would have them detail it for me when I brought her in to fix the rest of the issues.

The OnStar needed to be upgraded to the digital module and activated for one year.

Both remotes needed to be re-programmed.

The driver's side front shock seemed to have a busted seal with some fluid and dirt on the inside of the wheel well and shock itself. I am not a mechanic or anything but it did not look right. I actually showed this to the dealer. Here are some pictures of the issue with the leakage.

Driver's Side Front - Leakage

Passenger's Side Front - No Leakage

The dealer had the H2 for 4 days.

I picked her up and she was dirtier than when I dropped her off.

No detail at all.

The fluid and dirt in the wheel well/shock area was still present.

The brakes still squeaked. Not as bad but still do it.

The steering seems to be exactly the same.

The OnStar was activated but they took 3 days hooking up the module.

The remotes were programmed correctly.

I was so pissed off that I just took my truck and left. I will be sending them something but wanted to get some answers first from all of you. What do you all think I should do ?

Thanks for all the replies in advance !!!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Major Leakage...???

Power steering pump front seal maybe ?? I had mine go out and replaced in my 2003 but it was not as bad as that above before I noticed it, found it when I pulled the skid plate off to change oil and to lube the truck. Just a thought this morning.....
Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Hummer Expert

Yetti is an unknown quantity at this point

well the fluid I see in the pic is above the shock. I would suggest looking at the hydrolic lines going to the Hydro boost(power brakes) and from the Power steering. both have the ability to leak fluid the way you see it. also if you look under the sleeve of the shock it will most likely be dry. shocks normally leak to the bottom.
www.wegotmud.com
www.glfwda.org
Old 01-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdsq99f4 is on a distinguished road

That is either a leak from the hydroboost lines (not really that common) or from the front diff vent (common). The front diff vent is clipped in right under the master cylinder. Usually if the front diff pukes out of the vent it is due to low fluid level. You will most likely find a leaking axle seal, case halves, adjuster o-ring, or case plug. If there are no leaks, top off diff and spray off the residue on the lf wheelhouse area.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:00 AM
Hummer Professional

lennyrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroman201

So I take my 04 home after buying it on New Years Day. I was so excited that I got it that I really, really, really didn't look her over too well. I know it's my own fault. I get her home and I noticed the pictures below. So I made a list of things just like the salesperson said if there was something wrong. I had a few things but nothing major, or so I thought, hope you all can tell me. It is still under the dealer warranty and I even purchased the extended warranty. She is still uner 30,000 miles and for an 04, I didn't think that it was going to be too bad. Just a note, the pictures below were taken after they serviced the truck and said it was all cleaned up. Here is a list of the things I had for the dealer to work on.

The steering made some noises when turning within a normal radius. I added some power steering fluid and this had subsided mostly but still mentioned it to the dealer.

The brakes squealed on braking at all speeds and all amounts of pressure to the brake pedal.

The salesperson said since I picked it up on a day when no one was in the service department, he would have them detail it for me when I brought her in to fix the rest of the issues.

The OnStar needed to be upgraded to the digital module and activated for one year.

Both remotes needed to be re-programmed.

The driver's side front shock seemed to have a busted seal with some fluid and dirt on the inside of the wheel well and shock itself. I am not a mechanic or anything but it did not look right. I actually showed this to the dealer. Here are some pictures of the issue with the leakage.

Driver's Side Front - Leakage

Passenger's Side Front - No Leakage

The dealer had the H2 for 4 days.

I picked her up and she was dirtier than when I dropped her off.

No detail at all.

The fluid and dirt in the wheel well/shock area was still present.

The brakes still squeaked. Not as bad but still do it.

The steering seems to be exactly the same.

The OnStar was activated but they took 3 days hooking up the module.

The remotes were programmed correctly.

I was so pissed off that I just took my truck and left. I will be sending them something but wanted to get some answers first from all of you. What do you all think I should do ?

Thanks for all the replies in advance !!!
Looks to me like a little anti rust spray they used to touch it up. It is 4 years old you know and bound to show some wear and tear. I think your suffering from post buyeritis when you have blown all your dough . Remember nothing's perfect. Even a beautiful woman can surprise you after a shower when the paint has washed off
Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

Takecover is on a distinguished road

That leak is the front differential vent line. My 04 had the EXACT residue there on the drivers side. If you pull that line off and replace it with the next larger size of tubing, and fill the diff back up, your problem will be solved. In 05 the line size was increased to eliminate that leak. If I am not mistaken, there is a TSB on the exact problem. The only other problem I have had with my 04 was water leaking in both front doors from the wiring "boots". Those are the only 2 problems in 50k miles. Enjoy your new purchase!!

Jimmy
Old 01-24-2008, 03:30 AM
Hummer Authority

Boss Hoss is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takecover
That leak is the front differential vent line. My 04 had the EXACT residue there on the drivers side. If you pull that line off and replace it with the next larger size of tubing, and fill the diff back up, your problem will be solved. In 05 the line size was increased to eliminate that leak. If I am not mistaken, there is a TSB on the exact problem. The only other problem I have had with my 04 was water leaking in both front doors from the wiring "boots". Those are the only 2 problems in 50k miles. Enjoy your new purchase!!

Jimmy

I had the same happen to me. We were on the road and i noticed what i thought to be brake fluid all over the driver front wheel well. I kept check of the brake fluid level and brought it to the nearest dealer to find out it had to do with a vent hose. Mine rig is a 05.

20in Kaotik NT-1s with 35x13.50Pro Comp Xtreme All terrain
Old 01-25-2008, 04:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

jroman201 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies people...It was the differential line...they put a new filter on it and all...I ended up using degreaser when I got her back and it took the frame paint right the fu*k off...I am down to bare metal now...and rusting too...geesh...oh well...guess a touch up wouldnt hurt...lol...brakes are still squeaking but I may just man up and get some big boys...anyone have some decent ideas about brakes? nothing too expensive but decent...I think the previous owner had some back brakework done but not 100% sure...
Old 01-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

Brakes are for sissies. Just like spare tires. Ain't that right, Gooey?
Old 01-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Hummer Expert

Yetti is an unknown quantity at this point

as for brake squeek, it can be loads of things. one of the things to look at is dust build up from the pads in the caliper slides. if the calipers get stuck it drags a pad and makes a squeel. if the hub bearings are going bad it will make a constant squeel that goes away when the brakes are applied. in most cases it rust build up in the pad itsself and it creates hard spots that sqeek when you applie the brakes. its just a matter of up grading to a better pad material.
www.wegotmud.com
www.glfwda.org