H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-02-2004, 01:20 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

So I made a 2.5 hour trip into the mountains today! It was a last minute trip to do a moderate trail. After my long drive I was 15 minutes McCalister's Gulch trail and I hear this lound BANG!
I look out my rearview mirror to see what the hell it was and all I can see is the ground.
The airbag on the RR side blew out!
There was actually a part hanging off of it! So now after putting my new 37" BFG's on yesterday, that wheelewell is filled up pretty good! I had about an inch or so room left. So now I'm up on this damn shelf road and had to turn around.. not that big of deal. Got off the trail and hit the On Star button. They can't locate me and told me to try again later in a differnet location!
So I drive a few more miles and hit the ON Star button again, they tranfer me to hummer Roadside who doesn't have a Fing clue! Next she tells me to call a cab! You gotta big Fing kidding me! So my G friend and I have to be at work early on Monday, calling a cab for all of a gear and two labs isn't an option, and this lady at Roadside can't seem to pull her head out of her ass to find a flatbead truck. So I said screw and I'll just drive slow until I come to a main town. roadside never came through as they called me over an hour later and said they could have a tow truck (not a flatbead) ther for me in the morning! I hung up on her. I dorve back to Denver to the Hummer dealer and left them a note to please fix. Anyone else had an experience with the bags going out? Should I just have them reaplace with the springs? Should I call the lady back at Roadside and thank her for the ulcer?
Hummer Guru

So I made a 2.5 hour trip into the mountains today! It was a last minute trip to do a moderate trail. After my long drive I was 15 minutes McCalister's Gulch trail and I hear this lound BANG!
I look out my rearview mirror to see what the hell it was and all I can see is the ground.
There was actually a part hanging off of it! So now after putting my new 37" BFG's on yesterday, that wheelewell is filled up pretty good! I had about an inch or so room left. So now I'm up on this damn shelf road and had to turn around.. not that big of deal. Got off the trail and hit the On Star button. They can't locate me and told me to try again later in a differnet location!
So I drive a few more miles and hit the ON Star button again, they tranfer me to hummer Roadside who doesn't have a Fing clue! Next she tells me to call a cab! You gotta big Fing kidding me! So my G friend and I have to be at work early on Monday, calling a cab for all of a gear and two labs isn't an option, and this lady at Roadside can't seem to pull her head out of her ass to find a flatbead truck. So I said screw and I'll just drive slow until I come to a main town. roadside never came through as they called me over an hour later and said they could have a tow truck (not a flatbead) ther for me in the morning! I hung up on her. I dorve back to Denver to the Hummer dealer and left them a note to please fix. Anyone else had an experience with the bags going out? Should I just have them reaplace with the springs? Should I call the lady back at Roadside and thank her for the ulcer?
Hummer Guru

Old 08-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about your problems today. Please keep us informed.

Now you know why I find a CD Changer more useful than OnStar!
Old 08-02-2004, 01:42 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Do you know exactly what broke? I don't think the bags themselves are very susceptible to breakage as their psi strength is pretty high. Maybe a line popped loose or something.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:04 AM
Hummer Guru

I'll keep you guys posted. I will be calling the dealer forst thing in the morning! This is the first time I will have ever talked with this dealership. Paul and Sandra from Gobi have both of their vehicles serviced and have ggod thing to say. If our airbags are anthing like the bags that are on the Kodiak and Freighliner Sanp On Truck I used to deal with, this bags should be almost industructable.
The wierd part about this was, I was in a spot where no rocks or stick were visible. My service air susp. light has been on many times and has been looked at several time by the other dealership. I even had my truck in my driveway with the ass-end on the ground, but I had the hose attached without having the compressor running too. So I hope to find out Monday. At first I thought I hit one of the arms in th back (I think that's where the sensor is), but had no visible marks, just the blown out bag. Maybe some tree-hugger tampered with it.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's god's way of telling you to stop being a copy cat.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Timgo....

Sorry to hear about your problem. You might want to give Sam Wallis-sam@adventureteam.com- a shout as he had several bags blow on his H2. After a few trips to the dealer they were unable to find the problem and would only replace the blown bag each time. Finally the dealer said they would not replace under warranty any more as his truck had a Rancho lift kit. I do know that he was able to install the 4" Rancho coil springs in his and think he had the work done at 4 Wheel Parts. If your truck isn't lifted stock coils should fit it ( left 15179495, right 15179496). Be advised that the rear shocks are different between coil springs and air springs and will probably need to be changed also if you do go to coils.

On Star is about worthless offroad. Alot of places we go it won't get out and neither will cell phones and if you do reach someone they are about as helpful as the person you got hold of.

Don
Old 08-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Hummer Guru

Well, the dealer doesn't know why the bags burst.
They said possibly due to the rough trail and possible defective bags. They replaced both under warranty and said to come pick it up. they said I shouldn't have anymore problems.

I hope not!
Hummie 2, thanks for the part numbers. I may change them out if this happens again. I will find a much closer trail and see what happens.
I have the same feeling about bad bags. I have been to Moab twoce this year and nothing happened there.