H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-13-2005, 02:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

First I want to say that I love my H3. I bought it in June and have driven almost 13k miles including off orad in UT, CO, ID and AZ. The thing is I am having a lot of issues. I have looked through the forums and found people having some of the problems but am wondering if anyone one is having alot of issues. My H3 currently has the following problems:

SVC TPM (6 times at dealer, they can't figure out)

Trans shutter (replaced throttle body / TPS which helped for a while but made idle rough, now idle is rough and trans shutters)

Rough idle (Related to above???)

Creaks and rattles from body and suspension (too much off road???? we'll see next time at dealer)

Rear washer (Re call performed and pump went bad in 2 days)

Clunk in front suspension (second time, Steering shaft again???)

2 doors mis-aligned (too much off road???? we'll see next time at dealer)

Outside mirrors loose.

I really do like my Hummer. I just want to know if I am alone or others are having the same type of issues. You know sometimes the problem is the owner not the vehicle.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 02:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

First I want to say that I love my H3. I bought it in June and have driven almost 13k miles including off orad in UT, CO, ID and AZ. The thing is I am having a lot of issues. I have looked through the forums and found people having some of the problems but am wondering if anyone one is having alot of issues. My H3 currently has the following problems:

SVC TPM (6 times at dealer, they can't figure out)

Trans shutter (replaced throttle body / TPS which helped for a while but made idle rough, now idle is rough and trans shutters)

Rough idle (Related to above???)

Creaks and rattles from body and suspension (too much off road???? we'll see next time at dealer)

Rear washer (Re call performed and pump went bad in 2 days)

Clunk in front suspension (second time, Steering shaft again???)

2 doors mis-aligned (too much off road???? we'll see next time at dealer)

Outside mirrors loose.

I really do like my Hummer. I just want to know if I am alone or others are having the same type of issues. You know sometimes the problem is the owner not the vehicle.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

YellowH3 is off the scale

Where have you been going for service? I have not been able to find a competent HUMMER dealer in the valley. They are all owned by Lund.
2006 H3 Adventure, Competition Yellow, Ebony int., Monsoon, XM, HID\'s, Custom Off-Road Grill Lights, Gravel filled floor mats, Mud packed undercarrige, Dust covered dash, Airbag light ON, DVD, 2 Flip Downs, Headrests, Rear Camera, Front Camera

Old 12-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Only thing I could recommend is a new dealer. Those who are having legitimate problems with the TPM can get them repaired. It might require replacing all the sensors, and the BCM, but it can be repaired.
Rear washer...could the tech have installed the same one by mistake. I have seen this happen before, and by some darn good technicians too.

Off-roading should not misalign the doors, there is one strong frame under this vehicle. It should keep it very tight.

I can't say about the rest. It really sounds like a new dealer should be in your future.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

Thanks for the responses. I have a very good relationship with the dealer and have had a lot of success with them in the past. It's going back this week, if things don't change I will look at my options. The thing I am most happy with is the fact that I have not gotten a bunch of responses from people who are having similar problems. I will post results of next visit to dealer.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

I do have a list of small complaints that I'm bringing with me on my next visit to the dealer:

SVC TPM - goes on twice a week.

Rough idle

Creaks and rattles from body and suspension, and I've been off-road ONE TIME only... rattles started before though.

Rear washer (recall)

Weird noises from driver's side mirror and windshield.

I LOVE MY HUMMER and I could not change it for any other car out there (at least for now), but those noises are getting kind of annoying, it's like driving my old '89 Isuzu Trooper
Old 12-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeLeon:
I do have a list of small complaints that I'm bringing with me on my next visit to the dealer:

SVC TPM - goes on twice a week. Are you have large temperature fluctuations in your area? If not, then the entire system consists of four sensors and a BCM (not counting the display which relies on a signal from the BCM). There are a few actual hummer techs on this site, and one has stressed a few times that he has not found a system he can't fix.

Rough idleActually, a few have mentioned this one.

Creaks and rattles from body and suspension, and I've been off-road ONE TIME only... rattles started before though.I haven't heard this one before. I have had it off-road once, but I live in MI, and most of the "paved" roads here are worse than most off-roads I have been on.

Rear washer (recall)Only certain pumps, they have to inspect for a number first. If the number is present, then pump does not require replacement. This is considered a Customer Satisfaction recall. What this means is there is a good chance the pump will fail, but not all will fail. That is why there is an expiration date. After that date, it will still be replaced under warranty, but chances are, according to test, if the pump lasts that long, it will not fail.

Weird noises from driver's side mirror and windshield.Some have reported noises inside the driver's door. From what they have reported, sounds like a loose harness or bolt.

I LOVE MY HUMMER and I could not change it for any other car out there (at least for now), but those noises are getting kind of annoying, it's like driving my old '89 Isuzu Trooper </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

Talked to the dealer a couple of time's this week and they are saying the TPM issues is most likly related to a BCM problem. They are picking the H3 up on Monday so I sould know more by Wednesday or so.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

Service TPM.
I get this after travelling for more than 1/2 hour. Tires are inflated with nitrogen and should not have a pressure concern, cold or hot. I thought there were 5 sensors, ? 1 in the spare too. The label says to run the pressures at 35 all around and 50 in the spare. I did that and the Service TPM came on almost right away. I aired down the spare and made them all 35. This seemed to work, but on longer trips the light still comes on. I have not done the reset that f5 spelled out on another post, but that is next. All the other items, no problem here.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Hummer Professional

Webb70 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BABHUMV:
Service TPM.
I get this after travelling for more than 1/2 hour. Tires are inflated with nitrogen and should not have a pressure concern, cold or hot. I thought there were 5 sensors, ? 1 in the spare too. The label says to run the pressures at 35 all around and 50 in the spare. I did that and the Service TPM came on almost right away. I aired down the spare and made them all 35. This seemed to work, but on longer trips the light still comes on. I have not done the reset that f5 spelled out on another post, but that is next. All the other items, no problem here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The spare tire sensor is not monitored until it is put into use on one of the four corners.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

H3Eric is off the scale

Hi, I got the TPM a lot depedgin on the outside temp. and after an off-road trip I have a lot of squeaking in the suspension. This also seems to go away after some driving and is it seems also depending on the outside temp. I will have it checked again with my next trip to the dealership. It seems that it needs some cleaning around specific parts and/or some grease.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

Update

The dealer picked up the H3 Monday morning, just called and said parts are on order and will be a couple more days.

I'l update when I know more.

PS Driving a loaner Envoy XL. Now that's a step backward!
Old 12-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

YellowH3 is off the scale

Where are you going for service??
2006 H3 Adventure, Competition Yellow, Ebony int., Monsoon, XM, HID\'s, Custom Off-Road Grill Lights, Gravel filled floor mats, Mud packed undercarrige, Dust covered dash, Airbag light ON, DVD, 2 Flip Downs, Headrests, Rear Camera, Front Camera

Old 12-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

It's at Lund. As you noted all of the local Hummer dealers are owned by Lund so we don't have much choice. But I have to say that I have not had any problems with them. In fact, they treat me great.

Sevice advisor has been calling everyday with an update and I'm getting the H3 back tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

hispeed6 is off the scale

I've had my H3 to Kachina twice now. Both times after I've had my tires rotated I've had to reset the TPM system myself to get rid of the annoying messages. My suspicion is that since you have to identify each individual tire in the TPM reset procedure the system is checking all 5 tire sensors and doing rate-of-change comparisons as the 4 tires on the road heat up with driving. When it sees one tire that it THINKS should be on the road not changing pressure like the others it sends out a warning. Either way, resetting the system makes the TPM message go away.

Now, if I could just get 5 sensors that would run 5 pounds lighter and the monitor would stay off I'd be a happy camper. The ride is so much better at 32 psi vs. 40 psi!

I\'m gonna miss her...
Old 12-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

hispeed6

When you have the problem does it display low tire on the display or SVC TPM? Mine displays SVC TPM. The funny part is the low tire waring still works when I air down.

There is a way to change when the low tire warning turns on using a TECH II. If you can find a friendly tech he might help you out. The computer is programed with a bunch of tire sizes and they all have a recommened pressure. Most of which are much lower than 35psi which is when my low pressure warning turns on. The question I have is. Does changing the tire size change the speedo. If the light is not on when I get it back tomorrow. I will try it and let you all know.

PS
H3 was supposed to be back today but the parts came in late so I will get it tomorrow.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

[quote]Originally posted by ketcat:

SVC TPM (6 times at dealer, they can't figure out) All they did was reset it. I got in the H3 and the light was on in 4 miles.

Trans shutter (replaced throttle body / TPS which helped for a while but made idle rough, now idle is rough and trans shutters)Didn't address

Rough idle (Related to above???)Didn't address

Creaks and rattles from body and suspension (too much off road???? we'll see next time at dealer)Seems like they got this one fixed. They lubed the sway bar bushings and the noise is gone.

Rear washer (Re call performed and pump went bad in 2 days) Perfomed re call again???? Anyway it's working now.

Clunk in front suspension (second time, Steering shaft again???) Dealer could not dup but the problem seems to be gone. Maybe related to sway bar busings.

2 doors mis-aligned (too much off road???? we'll see next time at dealer) Did't address.

Outside mirrors loose. The mirror was fixed but it's not on the RO. Wonder how the tech got paid to fix somehting that's not on the RO????

In total I sent it to the dealer with 14 issues, only 8 of which were listed on the RO. Of the 8 on the RO, 6 seem to be fixed at this time and 2 items not on the RO were fixed. So I guess I am 8 for 14. Looks like it's time to change my approach. I'll keep you all informed.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

H3Eric is off the scale

Ketcat, do you think they just put some grease on the outside of the sway bar bushings or did they take it apart?
Old 12-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

They took the bushing apart. There are socket marks on the bolts and the grease is way up in the bushing. Problem is when I looked under the vehicle I noticed gear oil leaking from the end of the diff housing where the axle goes in. I will be scheduling a meeting with the Service Manager on Monday.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

Well I talked to the Service Director today and really don't feel good about it. He says the SVC TPM issue is related to the BCM and that they are on back order until JULY 2006. JULY 2006???!!! So he is going to try and get one off the assembly line in the next several weeks. As for the other issues he says they can fix them and to bring the vehicle back. The problem is they have tried 7 times and not gotten this stuff fixed so I am not sure they can this time.

At this point I am thinking new car......

If I get a resolution I will post again. Thanks for the help.