H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 04-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

I think some of you need new bosses. Respect betwen you and your staff are key to a great biz. I'm sure this is more to this story than what we have all heard. Maybe the jackass that was talking behind his boss has had an attitude problem for a while and the BOSS saw it was spreading to other people within the company. My current boss and I get a long great. No secrets, no back talking. Honest, open, and a truthfull realtionship bewteen you and your employees is the only way to go... small or large company! James did not can this guy for the commentabout his rig! ...Unless james is a really big prick.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

My employees know I'm a very generous boss and always pro events. But they also know I can lose it and cut some ungrateful at the drop of a hat.

James, I wouldn't fire him. Just remind him of how good they have it in comparison to the welfare or unemployment line.

My Video Collectionez

Old 04-27-2005, 09:59 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My current boss and I get a long great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We call this type of reaction "brown nose-ing"

Really, James, I was trying to point you to a esoteric path, and I have failed.

But let me say this. What if you would have treated the situation in a different way? A way in which both you and your (ex)employee could have grown from this event?

You might have fired the only honest person ( at least as perception goes) in your business, who knows now what type employees you have left? Yes men?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hart1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My current boss and I get a long great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We call this type of reaction "brown nose-ing"

Really, James, I was trying to point you to a esoteric path, and I have failed.

But let me say this. What if you would have treated the situation in a different way? A way in which both you and your (ex)employee could have grown from this event?

You might have fired the only honest person ( at least as perception goes) in your business, who knows now what type employees you have left? Yes men? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>He's had issues with some of his employees.

Besides, what positives can come from an employee mouthing off in a negative manner about there boss? I see nothing but a lowering of morale, discontent and a general lack of respect for the person paying the wages.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hart1:
Really, James, I was trying to point you to a esoteric path, and I have failed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ok, this is the second time you used this word in this thread. Do you even know what it means?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Hummer Authority

ShaggyX is an unknown quantity at this point

es·o·ter·ic Audio pronunciation of "esoteric" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (s-trk)
adj.

1. Intended for or understood by only a particular group: an esoteric cult. See Synonyms at mysterious.
2. Of or relating to that which is known by a restricted number of people.

1. Confined to a small group: esoteric interests.
2. Not publicly disclosed; confidential.

Do I win a prize?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShaggyZr2:
Do I win a prize? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sure! A sticker that says "My Other Truck is an H2!"
Old 04-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

who knows now what type employees you have left? Yes men? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes

On the flip side, you have one bad seed corrupting and possibly swaying the staff to his view. It's like spreading a rumor. Not good for the working enviroment.

My Video Collectionez

Old 04-28-2005, 12:08 AM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

To me, any employee that injects negativity on team should be given an intense warning or notice. Especially when sporting a disrespect for a higher authority.

This disrespect in turn invokes a dissatisfaction in other employees leading to poor production = less revenue = less funds for golf trips = less profit. Kind of a Maslow Theory thing.

clink clink
Old 04-28-2005, 01:41 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h2co-pilot:
To me, any employee that injects negativity on team should be given an intense warning or notice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is this what happens in your house when you don't get to take the H2 tanning?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:41 AM
Hummer Expert

Marcmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

I guarantee the guy knows exactly why he got fired and in the future will probably not talk **** about the boss when he's within earshot. This has nothing to do with "ego" and everything to do with insubordination and a total lack of respect. The fact that some of you would actually condone this type of behavior in a business that you own, is amazing in itself. It's his company, he can fire whoever he wants. In the state of Kansas, you are at "at will employee", which means you can get fired for any or no reason whatsoever. Kind of makes you double check your surroundings before talking about the man.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:41 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShaggyZr2:
I work in a "professional" environment (i.e., Business Casual...as professional as I have ever been)...but I still completely believe that some playful ribbing is necessary every once in a while. Even with the boss, or the bosses boss. That being said...his comments dont appear to be intended as a cute joke or sarcastic comment. That sounds like a cheap shot to me. Can his ass...and hire me. I bet I could do the same job for 1/2 the price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hippie bark-chewing is a professional environment?

Dock that subversive turd 2 weeks pay.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h2co-pilot:
To me, any employee that injects negativity on team should be given an intense warning or notice. Especially when sporting a disrespect for a higher authority.

This disrespect in turn invokes a dissatisfaction in other employees leading to poor production = less revenue = less funds for golf trips = less profit. Kind of a Maslow Theory thing.

clink clink </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, on second thought... fire that POS.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:46 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamesT:
UPDATE....

In the words of Donald T "YOUR FIRED!"

"I have worked my ass off for what I have and will not tolerate a man whom I pay quite well to disrespect me in MY BUILDING. Keep your fu%&^ng personal opinions to yourself about me or my possesions from 8-5 Monday - Friday OR be a man and tell me what you think to my face! Now...pack up your office, drive your piece of **** Nissan Pick Up to the local unemployement office. Just go away! Go be a "sandwich artist" or someting but I aint got no use for ya!" is what I just told him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't read that far down before I fired off the first salvo.
Good for you, James!!! Bet you don't have any more trouble from the mouths.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:02 AM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marcmedic:
I guarantee the guy knows exactly why he got fired and in the future will probably not talk **** about the boss when he's within earshot. This has nothing to do with "ego" and everything to do with insubordination and a total lack of respect. The fact that some of you would actually condone this type of behavior in a business that you own, is amazing in itself. It's his company, he can fire whoever he wants. In the state of Kansas, you are at "at will employee", which means you can get fired for any or no reason whatsoever. Kind of makes you double check your surroundings before talking about the man. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>"At Will" states are great. I had all employees sign a form stating they understood what that meant.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:03 AM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
To me, any employee that injects negativity on team should be given an intense warning or notice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is this what happens in your house when you don't get to take the H2 tanning? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes...
Old 04-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Gosh,

By now, James, you are probably sick of hearing from everyone and wishing you hadn't posted the question. If so, please don’t even bother reading this.

Hart1, you have some good thoughts on this, but as PARAGON alludes to, by calling your own comments "a esoteric path" (should be "a<span class="ev_code_RED">n</span> esoteric path", twice, nonetheless), and saying things like “for your benefit,” you make yourself sound incredibly arrogant and no one wants to bother listening to you.

I know many of the contributors to this thread personally and feel comfortable saying:

Shaggy, excellent observation! *****

ANYONE would be very fortunate to have DennisAJC for a boss or timgco for an employee.

But I have digressed. I try my best to always use the three strikes rule. That means if someone I have trusted (employee or friend) seems to have seriously broken that trust, I have a closed-door conversation with him or her. I try to stay humble and explain how it felt to me WITHOUT BLAMING THEM. I am willing to do this THREE TIMES before giving up on someone. In this case, I would have additionally explained how much more difficult it is to foster good morale among the employees than bad and how incendiary a poor attitude can be, especially from a leader in the company. I would do a lot of listening and self-reflection. Why would this man make such a comment and why did it fall so hard on you? One must wonder, is there a kernel of truth to it. Did this fellow have hopes of golfing with a client in order to secure some new bounty for your company? I think these are questions worth pondering for a while, regardless of whatever answers first come to mind.

Also, if this employee had seen the error of his ways and gotten mercy from you, the potential existed for ending up with one of the most loyal and trustworthy employees ever. That opportunity is now lost. And now, whatever negative feelings this guy had about you have (in his mind) just been proven true. And he and his family have now lost their source of income.

As to your remaining employees, you have added fuel to whatever conversation existed about you being an A-hole boss. (I'm NOT saying you are one, but you have just fueled that conversation). And, you have forced whatever conversation exists about you farther away from your own earshot. This is very dangerous and can topple a company. Many of the best ideas in business come from the bottom up. This is NOT a conduit you want closed. Also, if you have your employees living in a state of fear about saying what they really think or feel, you are severely limiting your companies potential for growth. Many bosses maintain an atmosphere of fear in the workplace. Not only is this morally reprehensible, but it misses the following: Employees contribute in work and ideas far above what they get paid, if they have some sense of ownership in their company. I’m not talking about stock holdings, I’m talking about people feeling that they are contributing to the company and helping steer it to success. You WANT your employees to express themselves freely. I have worked with many companies where employees LOVE the fact that their boss has all the trappings of affluence. It makes them feel that they are working for a profitable company that does good work and that their jobs are secure.

So as I have said, I try to give someone at least three opportunities to make good. And I don't do it as a trap. I make it very clear that I take ownership of the problem that I have with their actions. I let them know what the problem IS from my perspective and WHY it’s a problem for me. And I work with them on what the solution should be. I do this three times, before I write someone off. I don't know what type of business you own, but I would wager a hefty sum that your employees are your most valuable asset.

It is my hope that breaking things down in such detail might make them more accessible. If I am wrong, I am sorry. I try never to give advice unless asked. You asked. If you prefer the nutshell version, just see the earlier comment from TBDAugs. That pretty well sums it up.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
Is this what happens in your house when you don't get to take the H2 tanning? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ofcourse!, one that injects negativity on my fun doesn't get to inject anything else. Nah, I just perform a swift booger wiping.

As Ken said, I recall James having prior problems as well. As sfox said, he probably wasn't asking for advice, just venting. What is done is done and I think he was right on. No sense in trying to see another point or try to make James feel regret.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

What is done is done and I think he was right on. No sense in trying to see another point or try to make James feel regret. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was never my intention to make James feel regret, just to help support his business. In terms of there being no point in trying to see another point of view, respectfully, I disagree.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the fact that this is the first comment James has HEARD was glossed over. Does anyone honestly think this is the first time James has done something to tick this guy off, and this is the first time this guy has made a comment behind James' back? I seriously doubt it. He's just gotten brazen enough to do it within earshot of the boss. To me, that's not a joke, that's escalation of disrespect. It's definitely one thing if he bitches about James to his wife at the end of the day, but quite another to be that bold at work.

I am not a boss, but an employee in a small company (15 employees). Let me tell you what this kind of dissent can do to company morale and working conditions. Our office was VERY tense for awhile when we had a new hire who did nothing but bitch about my manager behind her back. We're a pretty close knit group, and if there's ever a problem, we sit down as a group and resolve it. Works every time. This new girl (God only knows why she's still here, I'm hoping to see her ass get canned before the year is over) bitched 24-7 via instant messager, email, vocally - any time the manager left the room - over truly STUPID stuff. Like the manager didn't review her project yet (when the manager had 7 other projects going on of MUCH higher inportance). I got sick of it one morning and put her in her place (and got the attitude of "You're not my boss!" to which I responded "Obviously not, because you would have been fired weeks ago, bitch." Things are still tense here, a good 4 months later. She's stopped her bitching, but now that I know what kind of lazy ass person she is, I can't stand her - and a lot of my colleagues can't, either. It's changed our office environment permanently. And this is strictly because one person decided they wanted to bitch about the boss behind her back. And a NEW HIRE at that - imagine what effect a top manager would have on the working environment and the rest of the employees!!

I think James did the right thing. It has nothing to do with the H2. His manager could have brought up anything - vacations, his wife (in which the guy likely would have walked off with a broken nose), etc. He chose something he knew was dear to James on purpose and went with it. It wasn't a slip up - that comment was intentional.

I say good riddance to bad trash. What's wrong with "yes men"? It's called a team environment. That's a GOOD thing in business.

Stacy