H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-03-2006, 01:39 AM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale
Default Reduced Power Message on DIC

I went on vacation over the month of August and got home to a dead H3 in my garage.

I jumpstarted the car with a battery pack and the H3 started and ran really rough. On the DIC it said "Reduced Power" and the car would not rev over 3k. Is this common with a dead battery?

I thought maybe it was because the battery was so dead so I let it idle for a while, shut the rig off and restarted. Same problem.

I went back out a few hours later and the car started just fine as if it never happened. Now i show an engine light on the dash. I called the dealer yesterday and they told me it was ok to drive the car as long as the engine light is not flashing. Made an appointment for a real checkup but its a few days away.

Anyone have an idea what was wrong or if its ok to drive based on this sparse description?

Dear GM: PLEASE SELL ME AN HX
Old 09-03-2006, 01:51 AM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale
Default Re: Reduced Power Message on DIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark805
I went on vacation over the month of August and got home to a dead H3 in my garage.

I jumpstarted the car with a battery pack and the H3 started and ran really rough. On the DIC it said "Reduced Power" and the car would not rev over 3k. Is this common with a dead battery?

I thought maybe it was because the battery was so dead so I let it idle for a while, shut the rig off and restarted. Same problem.

I went back out a few hours later and the car started just fine as if it never happened. Now i show an engine light on the dash. I called the dealer yesterday and they told me it was ok to drive the car as long as the engine light is not flashing. Made an appointment for a real checkup but its a few days away.

Anyone have an idea what was wrong or if its ok to drive based on this sparse description?

The dealer is right; it's OK to drive. One cause for the reduced power is a mismatch between the commanded throttle position and the actual position. After an OK start, the reduced power message will go away and a code will be stored. I forget how long it takes to clear on its own.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:00 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

If you get a chance before bringing it to the dealer ask onstar they should be able to tell you why the light went on.

I had a bad battery after 5 months and no light went on just door locks and I think windows didnt work for 5 minutes (after jump)?.
New battery under waranty,no problems since
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

MountainBlue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
If you get a chance before bringing it to the dealer ask onstar they should be able to tell you why the light went on.

I had a bad battery after 5 months and no light went on just door locks and I think windows didnt work for 5 minutes (after jump)?.
New battery under waranty,no problems since

You, me and about 1000 other H3 owners. GM must have had a bad batch of batteries or something.
Volant intake, Airaid TB spacer, Custom down pipe, Magnaflow dual Exhaust, NGK iridium plugs, Nitto TG -AT295/75/16, Brush guard, tail light guards, mud guards, Chrome Shorty Antenna & bracket, Chrome lower punch grill & lettering, Chrome side moldings, smoked side marker lenses, 3-D Hummer hitch plug, Body color spare cover, & of course DEBADGED!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

Zoomie is on a distinguished road

If you want to hear about GM batteries, go to a Corvette forum and find a thread on C5 batteries! I cannot believe that after over 100 years of making 12 volt wet cell batteries, the General has , apparently, forgotten how to do it!

To be fair, though, my wife's Trailblazer is over 4 years old and still on the original battery. Maybe I'd better change that sucker!!

In any case, I think anyone with a battery problem might as well save themselves some grief (alone on a trail with a dead battery??? ) and get an Optima. No, I don't make them, sell them or own stock..wish I did!

I went through two GM batteries on my 01 Vette before I gave up and bought an Optima. A little expensive, but I know it won't leak, damage a computer or leave me stranded.
GONE:
2001 Vette convert Black on Black on BlackWHAT WAS I THINKING!?!?
2002 Trailblazer (Wife's)
Old 09-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

Thanks for the input everyone

I am actually considering the yellow top (only because it matches my ride )

Dear GM: PLEASE SELL ME AN HX
Old 09-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie
If you want to hear about GM batteries, go to a Corvette forum and find a thread on C5 batteries! I cannot believe that after over 100 years of making 12 volt wet cell batteries, the General has , apparently, forgotten how to do it!

To be fair, though, my wife's Trailblazer is over 4 years old and still on the original battery. Maybe I'd better change that sucker!!

In any case, I think anyone with a battery problem might as well save themselves some grief (alone on a trail with a dead battery??? ) and get an Optima. No, I don't make them, sell them or own stock..wish I did!

I went through two GM batteries on my 01 Vette before I gave up and bought an Optima. A little expensive, but I know it won't leak, damage a computer or leave me stranded.

X2 a optima yellow top is what I will upgrade to in the near future.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie

Only problems Vettes had with leaking batteries was the side post batteries. In 2002 they switchd to AGM batteries that can't leak, and in 2004 they went to a top post. I would not worry about a top post battery leaking.
(I will say that whoever designed the computer below a side post battery should be sent back to school.)
As for GM batteries, well, GM does not make batteries. In addition, as I have stated before, batteries are a problem for all manufacturers, battery failure is extremely high at any vehicle manufacturer, especially if the vehicle is in a very warm location.
Optimas are great, might be the best, but they can also fail, but their failure rate is a hell of a lot lower than a normal wet battery. (I had one fail!)
To be honest, the last battery I replaced was my Jeep. My vette batteries never gave out, my H3 battery is still going strong. But in all honesty, if I do have a battery fail, I will install a red top, unless I install a winch or other high amp device.