H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 07-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

yeah....I bet they'll have a course laid-out that suits the Cayenne just perfectly: as steep an approach as it can handle, as big a rock it can drive over and as steep a side-slope as it can handle.

I'm seeing these things all over town: it's a glorified station-wagon with a big engine. About the only thing is has going for it is the 4x4 system.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:11 PM

DiscoDancingRover is off the scale

Well of course they would, but i think it will be fun. Hell you get a free lunch, how could you argue against that!!!
Old 07-08-2003, 12:07 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

How can you argue against a free lunch????

in one word: MAC
Old 07-08-2003, 12:42 AM

H2Norcal is off the scale

You know it really doesn't matter how well the Cayenne is received.

Steve is right (again), it really is a glorified upper class minivan for the gated community types to say they have a Porsche SUV. It really has nothing to do with off-roading. I mean please, can you imagine running into a Cayenne 15 miles out in the wilderness winching out of a rut.

Uh, wait a minute, I can. Hum, I am seeing something here, it is a man and a woman. He is dressed in Gucci loafers and slacks and she is in a silk dress, they have a picnic lunch (with grey poupon of course) and wait, there's more....um I see two AAA towing guys towing their Cayenne out while the couple sits on their checkboard blanket.... Yeah, this Cayenne could be an off-road vehicle by golly.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:55 AM

HAHA!!!! I tink there was a guy on gay...i mean discoweb who bought one and was gonna try it out to see how it worked. Let me see if i can find that and i will ask him about it.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:46 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Hey guys....come on...

Let's put a clean perspective on this. The Cayenne obviously has a great 4x4 system...all four tires turning with some form of traction control and perhaps even some locker action....so we know is has the go-forward thing down solid. I'm sure it even has a 4-low as well and a few other swift gadgets.

The other aspect to being a capable offroad vehicle comes from clearance and the general lay-out of the design. The approach/departure angle is hardly there and the clearance isn't all that spectacular. Remember that Arrowhead video I made....well....I sincerely doubt it would make it up that very first hill....especially with those tires!

Now...jack it up a few inches and put on some large-wide all-terrains...now you've got something!!!!

As has been said: Porsche realized that a HUGE amount of their owners already have SUV's in the garage, so IF they make an SUV....their loyal customers would buy them.

It's almost as if they used their great name and reputation and cashed in on it....

What a novel concept!!!!!!!!!!

Tell ya what I'm gonna do: tomorrow I'll call a few local Porsche dealers and invite any of their customers to join our club!

But let's not forget, the Cayenne is probably going to be a higher rated vehicle then the H2: it's MUCH easier to get into and out of, is faster, better handling, better mpg, parks easier and has less 'blind-spots'. I bet it's very luxurious and is built to exacting standards too.

God Bless America and our freedom choice, let's embrace the Cayenne as yet another vehicle to join us on the roads.

Save the negative energy for those rancid Disco's!!!

kidding we love ya Chris....even if you're planning on getting a D90.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:59 PM

Yes that d90 is rancid, even more so then the disco! Steve went wheeling today and got some pics. Jason said it was alright so i will post them tonight...maybe...
Old 07-08-2003, 10:13 PM

Steve I might get an h2 but they are just damn expensive for me. an 18 year old DOES NOT need at $50k car! No matter what!
Old 07-08-2003, 11:05 PM

Alec what car was that? And Steve look down a bit for my pictures... http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=1236038291&m=234606466 3&r=2316065663#2316065663
Old 08-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I received a mailing from local Porsche dealer, giving $4K off the Cayenne S. I guess there is no waiting list for Cayenne. I wonder why it is not doing so well as Hummer or other SUVs. It is priced almost exactly same as H2, which is a cheap price for a Porsche, smaller and it is a Porsche, you would think it should be more acceptable to most buyers.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:36 PM

DIANE is off the scale

We just bought a Cayenne (traded in the P.O.S. Jag). I will never give up my Hummer, but the Cayenne does handle very well on the highway. It is quick and fun to drive. I drive the both, and there is no comparison. They handle differently, drive differently, and the feel completely different.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Diane, sounds like a good choice.
Next year, we will sell the perfect Jaguar XJVP sedan and Cayenne is on my very short list of replacement: Porsche Cayenne, MB S500 or new BMW7. Can't think of anything else now. What were on your list of replacement consideration?
Old 08-10-2003, 05:40 PM

MAC from what I have heard and seen they are selling very well. My dealer can't keep them on the lot. I see them around a lot, not as much as the H2, but I see at least 5 a day. And also when looking at a new car, go check out the Audi A8L, very nice vehicle, better then the benz or BMW, IMHO. But then I don't see why you would get rid of your VP, great car, in fact we are getting one next year, in British Racing Green .

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
Old 08-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

My Audi was a total POS, every inch of it, 3 repairs a week, different things; and it has "VW" logo on parts everywhere. Many friends who owned Audis had same experience, never admitted it until they sold the cars; in reports I read, Audi themselves admitted that. Beautiful cars with excellent handling, it tried and tries but it will never be on the same level as MB, BMW or Porsche. I heard people say Audi owners are people who can't afford a MB/BMW/Porsche, may not be true, but why even bother with Audi if you can buy a MB/BMW/Porsche? I promised myself I'll never ever buy an Audi again, period.

Stay away from 95 Jag XJ, not that it has problem, but 96 2nd yr model had major changes, 75% thicker and quieter glass, 4.5" extra rear leg room, 2" extra rear head room (done due to John Major's complaint), and many other major structure changes. Ours is absolutely elegant, perfect and reliable, but simply got tired of driving it after many years.

I do see many Cayennes everywhere, no matter, a Porsche is a Porsche and it will always be a Porsche. But you don't give $4K off MSRP few months out of gate and without people asking for it, you only do it because you have to and you are worried.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:01 PM

We will be getting a 05 XJVP, I love that car, its so beautiful. My dad is in the same boat, he does not want to buy my mom an Audi (it is his 30 year anniversary (sp?) gift to her) because of what he has heard, I believe that audi is much better then it used to be in the past, from what i have heard from people.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
Old 08-10-2003, 06:09 PM

DIANE is off the scale

MAC, our Jag was far from perfect. It went into a fail safe mode on I95 while traveling at 80 mph. Our speed instantly dropped to 45 mph and we were almost killed by a truck. We immediately took it to the Jag dealer (it was under warranty, only 36k miles) and were told that Jaguar would not pay to fix it because the computer readout did not show the exact problem. Needless to say we were beyond angry. We subsequently told them where they could put the Jag and went next door to the Porsche dealer and bought the Cayenne. We had actually considered a 2004 Jag until this happened.
My husband raced Porsches (prior to the children) and I know he has been dying to buy a new one. The children make a sports car out of the question so the Cayenne was next. After reading all of the negative comments, we were pleasantly surprised with the car.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:41 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Diane, What happened to your Jaguar maybe was caused by a chip which was in a smog/cat converter recall, happened to me too on the freeway, but the dealer took care of that N/C.

Chris, the unwritten marketing line for Audi in Germany/Europe for decades has been "a poorman's Benz." I heard that from my Dutch and German friends and counterparts who own Audis, and I read it in auto magazines. There is no shame in that, in fact Audi used that to the max to sell Audis in Europe, and it is their basic marketing strategy. In a lengthy BusinessWeek interview with Dr. Piech, owner and grandson of Dr. Porsche, one time boss at Porsche, one time boss at Audi who was credited with saving Audi from death and started all these new models, later chairman of VW, now chairman of VW supervisory board(which is the real boss in German corporations), he himself acknowledged the quality problems at VW and Audi, and tried to change that. New ones could be better, but I won't bet my money on it. There are other choices, I may not be a rich man, but I certainly don't want to be a "poorman".
Old 08-10-2003, 06:52 PM

DIANE is off the scale

Thanks for the info Mac. No one ever notified us about a recall. The Jag dealer certainly didn't.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Diane, first of all, I don't know if that was true in your case, secondly that info is useless to you now. The dealer makes whole world of difference, doesn't it? If the dealer is nice, I'd forgive them for almost everything, if not that brand loses its shine. I took the Jag to a nearby independent shop I known for years, but they could not fix the Jaguar after several tries in several weeks, finally I took it to the Jaguar dealer 20 miles away thinking this must be a $2000 repair bill, I usually can guess the worst case repair bills. But the nice professional told me the truth about this old recall which I filed away and never took care. It was free. He knew I didn't know, he could've charged me $1000 and I'd thought it was my lucky day. Honest man and honest Jaguar Redwood city dealership. This was my fault by not taking care the recall.

I saw a white Cayenne a few minutes ago when I went out to pick up my 14 yr old son. Nice white color, seems better looking than the blue and charcoal I've seen many times. Cayenne is good choice.