H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-15-2002, 05:18 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

After nearly 2 weeks away on a business trip, its a bit hard to get back to the Hummer forum, this forum took soooo much time. I had stacks of weekly biz magazines I have not read because I had been spending much time on Hummer forum! Have not had the chance to visit this site for 2 weeks, since not everywhere on this planet is internet everywhere. Quite refreshing in kicking the Hummer addiction.

I pulled out the garage, made my usual left swing to turn around. BANG! what in the world... I forgot my sister was visiting and her ML was parked on my driveway. Hummer's left rear corner smashed into ML's right front side panel, the damage was limited to that one panel(My guess $1000 ML repair). I was more surprised at the damage to the Hummer bumper. The left rear corner plastic bumper and inside steel part(Rear bumper extension) is bent and pushed in, the "rear center bumper" which is the lower center black steel bumper is also bent slightly on the left side. That steel bumper looks so massive and strong. Don't tell anyone, this Hummer only looks like a tank.

I have the distinction of being the first Hummer H2 at this Hummer dealer body shop, Hummer is not in their system yet and took a bit extra work to figure the things out. The good news is it is only $343 repair, which includes the complete replacement of Rear Center Bumper and Right Rear Bumper Extension. Now I wait for the parts.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:18 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

After nearly 2 weeks away on a business trip, its a bit hard to get back to the Hummer forum, this forum took soooo much time. I had stacks of weekly biz magazines I have not read because I had been spending much time on Hummer forum! Have not had the chance to visit this site for 2 weeks, since not everywhere on this planet is internet everywhere. Quite refreshing in kicking the Hummer addiction.

I pulled out the garage, made my usual left swing to turn around. BANG! what in the world... I forgot my sister was visiting and her ML was parked on my driveway. Hummer's left rear corner smashed into ML's right front side panel, the damage was limited to that one panel(My guess $1000 ML repair). I was more surprised at the damage to the Hummer bumper. The left rear corner plastic bumper and inside steel part(Rear bumper extension) is bent and pushed in, the "rear center bumper" which is the lower center black steel bumper is also bent slightly on the left side. That steel bumper looks so massive and strong. Don't tell anyone, this Hummer only looks like a tank.

I have the distinction of being the first Hummer H2 at this Hummer dealer body shop, Hummer is not in their system yet and took a bit extra work to figure the things out. The good news is it is only $343 repair, which includes the complete replacement of Rear Center Bumper and Right Rear Bumper Extension. Now I wait for the parts.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:40 PM

DIANE is off the scale

Sorry about your mishap but happy to see that you are back.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:00 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I just read about Arizona's rear-end accident, that was nasty, but fortunately they came out okay. There is no comparison to my minor driveway bump, that is what a bumper is for. I am quite surprised at how cheap to replace the Hummer bumpers.

I scanned down the titles of past posts, there is no way I am going to be able to read the posts I missed in 2 weeks. Its like walking back into a party where everyone is busy talking and joking nonstop. I'll just start fresh.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:36 PM

JJ is off the scale

Welcome back

JJ
Old 12-15-2002, 07:45 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

.....so you were away on a trip. Funny, that's exactly what I had guessed was the situation!

If you look back far enough in archives you'll see that you were sorely missed. My hunch was the mother-ship came to take you back...or trip away from home. Perhaps I was right on both counts???

Hey...any regulars on the list, let us know your taking off before 'disappearing'.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:17 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Let me register first, I will be in Germany for 2 weeks late Jan to early Feb 03. In Florida for 1 week in April, and 2 weeks in Japan and China April-May 03. I wish I can fly my Hummer to all these places.

Steve or anyone else, what about driving to Mexico? is it safe? I am thinking about driving Hummer with family to Baja California Mexico for a week after Christmas. Been to Mexico by plane and by ship, but never drove into Mexico, every time I wanted to do it, friends in LA/San Diego talked me out of it. Told me my tires will be gone in 5 minutes. Is it really that bad? or just good old American attitude toward Mexico? not to mention the movie "Mexican", maybe I can rent an El Camino by the border.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:28 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

Hey MAC I live 40 minutes from Mexico so Ill tell you what.Drive to Poway leave the H2 with me and Ill loan you my prized Ford Granada for the trip.I find they have a real appreciation and respect for that ride down there.The a/c is inop. but that time of year it should be no factor.P.S. please fix the bumper before we make the switch [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2002, 03:43 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Ford Granada, that was the number one selling car 25 years ago, and is still very popular in Mexico. I am deeply touched by the offer. I'll get back to you on that, don't call me, I'll call you.

What about Mexico, or Tiajuana? don't tell me none of you ever drove to Mexico? Is it wise for me to drive my new Hummer into Tiajuana and down the Baja coast? is it safe? must I sleep in the Hummer or hire few Mexican police to stand guard while I go eat or sleep.

So far 2.5 months/3000 miles, we have not spend more than 30 minutes in any Hummer drive. We are planing to spend a few days on an Hummer road trip. Its about 10 hours from here to Mexico or to Las Vegas.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:00 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

For MAC or anyone thinking of taking it south of the border: I've made about 20 trips down to Ensenada and the like area over the last 3 years...and have had no problems. I think it comes down to 2 issues; the environment and the human factor.

The environment. I drive down to San Diego and then enter at Tijuana. From there I continue south on a toll-road known as highway 1. This road is smooth and runs like the autobahn. It'll cost ya about 1.60 per gate, and there's only about 4 gates to pay at. I then stay at a hotel that has an inside parking court with a guard. No problems, very safe...wish our roads were as nice as that Hwy 1 toll-road.

Beyond Ensenada your on the original road. Gas stations can be sparse and I've heard a common trick is you'll be told they have gas coming in the morning and your forced to stay the night at their hotel. If traveling distance, I'd plan on carrying additional can of gas!

There's lots of good 'wheelin' to do with great landscape to enjoy. You'll be hailed as a GOD in every town you enter...and don't be surprised when kids try to climb on/in your rig. I almost blended in with my old '87 Jeep...but a Hummer is downright insane decadence...they'll expect money to freely fall with each step you take. Keeping to this issue...no problems with the terrain, you'll be fine and your tires won't fall apart.

The Human factor. Lots of cars are stolen there. Your American Insuarnce MAY NOT APPLY the moment you cross the border; check it out first! Mexican insurance is available....but on a limited basis: I never had a problem, but my buddy says the more expensive cars are often unable to find coverage...it's like a given that they'll be stolen! I've not yet taken my Hummer south....but I've thought of it.

The stories you hear about crooked cops and fraud down there is somewhat true! The H2 is probably the dream-rig of any skumbag down there. I have friends who have had things 'planted' on their vehicles and were hosed-down for what cash they had in thier pockets. I'm not trying to scare you...but if they 'find' something, or you vilate some law...they'll impound your rig and then it can get ugly. I've never had that problem...but it does happen....just keep yourself clean. DO NOT CARRY A GUN; you'll be imprisoned for years!

On the flip side...they want tourism and don't want rumors of this such thing from getting out and spoiling their potential future income.

Hope that helps! I'm gonna head to Taco Bell...all this south of the border talk has made me hungry!

I would be interested in being part of an Ensenada run come this spring. I can get us an awesome rate on a secure hotel right in town. We can charter our own boat and nail the yellowtail, and then we could explore as a group offroad. Safety in numbers amigo's!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2002, 04:22 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

We have been to Ensenada by ship, that was a disappointment. My memory of that trip was the store with a huge sign that says: "WE CHEAT LESS HERE!" A friend lost his bag of new camcorder and 4 beautiful blue American passports, he refused to give up, and he knew which guys took them. Police did not care, but he managed to get the passports back with a $100 reward cash, and got back on the ship exactly 1 minute before sailing.

Thank you very much for the valuable info. Since this is a family vacation, I have decided to stay in North of the Border, it is only logical.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:03 PM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

Well, well, well....look what the cat drug in...

Sorry you had your mishap with the Hummer and that silly ML. Just one thing though, those MLs have steel in the doors (if that's what you hit) and that might have been the reason for such a smart whack on your arse.

Nice to see you back.

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
Old 12-16-2002, 07:17 PM

SONA is off the scale

I know we have not spoken directly, but I have followed the laments of fellow H2 owners and feel like I know how much they all missed you, and beat the crap out of you when you suddenly disappeared, thinking that your departure was something other then a normal course of life events. Let that be a lesson to us all. Welcome home...

"Let me show you my gun collection"
\"Life is tough... tougher if you’re stupid.\" \"Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgment. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life
Old 12-16-2002, 10:18 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

It just reminds me of how forgetting to tell your online friends that you are going to be 'offline' for a couple of weeks travel can make people worry. It's ironic how being able to communicate so much more freely also allows broad misperceptions -everyone thought you were offended, were through with the net, etc. Most of us who have been online awhile can probably remember a time we felt snubbed or ingored by someone, only to find they had just been away from the computer for a while.

And sorry about your bumper-bender. Perhaps the good folks at SMA can make us a nice sturdy 'Benz deflector' that won't crumple. . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order
"I think I can make it. D'OH!"
Old 12-16-2002, 10:35 PM
Hummer Professional

SOFTTAILJC is off the scale

welcome back mac,,,, to bad about the little smackem up.... you didn't miss to much. a lot of raggin going on, and red won the first ever h2 prize...glad to see you again.........soft
Old 12-16-2002, 11:05 PM

Mike is off the scale

Mac,

I will be driving to Mexico on the 18th of this month. I will be going as far south as Puerto Vallarta..(about 2 hours south of there is where I plan to stop) a little town on the beach by the name of Barra de Navidad (Christmas Island). I've made the trip many times from Reno, NV and never encountered a problem. Never in the H2 but I have taken half way descent rigs down there. The problem is not on the Mexican side, it's on the way back to the states where you get hastled the most...by American DEA agents. And the border towns can be scary.

I'll be down there for about 3 weeks..I'll post any issues or experiences when I get back. In my experience, the further south you go, the better and nicer the people get.

I've always purchased Mexican insurance before entering Mexico..just to be on the safe side.

Adios Amigos!
Old 12-16-2002, 11:12 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

Now that's what I like to see! Both Mac and Hummergirl chatting again on the forum. If I may quote again from our favorite and beloved family TV show...

"You have to max out the good times with the ones you love." --T. Soprano

Welcome back, Mac, hope you had a good trip.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:14 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Thanks everyone. This Hummer site is addictive. On previous trip to Germany, a German custom agent took apart my laptop to search for whatever he was searching, together with his partner's uzi casually pointing at me, I no longer travel with laptop. Europe has always been tough on laptop searches. It was a good opportunity to practice cold turkey on Hummer and forum. Once back, took me a day to decide if I want to even peek at the forum, cause I know once peeked, I'll be hooked again.

I don't know what the fuzz was about, but I am no Yahoo nor HeeHaw, I better not ask and better not know. I pulled girls ponytails since I was 6, how could one resist from pulling that ponytail dangling in front of your desk? Amy’s ponytail was simply too tempting. It was my evil twin brother.

I'll skip Mexico this time. Family vacation is for relaxation and looking at my watch sitting in malls and theme parks, waiting for THEM. Mexico sounds too exciting for this trip. Good to be back and eager to catch up with all of you.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:47 AM

Yep mac I am known to wear my ponytail's waaaay too tight.

Glad to know you are back with the forum.

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
Old 12-17-2002, 12:49 AM

Hey Mac...better brush up on your emoticon skills...I learned how to make my own while you were gone. You need to check them out. I think the post was "H2 animations" and don't forget to check out Steve's home videos of his H2.

~amy
Move it or Lose it...