H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

KJS is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry "Normal And Acceptable Noise For Metallic Brakes"... please tell me this is BS!

With only 862 miles on it I take the 3 in for service to talk to them about pretty high pitch metalish "tick-tick-tick-ticktick-ticktick-ticktick-tick" noise (that my best way to describe it, a friend called it twittie-bird noise, wtf is that? lol) None the less, I thought since I had the adventure maybe I picked up some little rocks in the wider treads. Check all tires and got whatever little ones I found in them out and took it for a ride. Still did it with no rocks so went into the service appointment. Told the service advisor what it was and made the dumb noise I believe it to sounded like (I bet those guys get a kick out of asking everyone that one,.."can you please make the noise you hear and describe as best can?")

Not even an 30 mins later I get a call saying the tech brought back saying he found a rock in the tire tread, removed it, and no noise now. I immediately tell him its not that at all b/c in the parking before dropping it off I checked each tire and removed any that were there and even drove afterwards. They ask if I can come up then and go for a ride with the tech and point out the noise b/c he does not hear anything. Show up, get in the truck and what a surprise...windows are up, AC is next to full blast, radio channel changed and volume high. So we go for a ride and 5 mins into the drive and its up to temp it starts doing, turn to the tech and say how could you not hear that?...."hear what?"...sticks his head out the window, "don't hear anything"...we play the "hear that,...I cant hear anything" game to the point where I pull over and look right at him and him if he is f'ing with me? So all windows down, roof open, I turn into a little plan where no noise at all. Can hear the noise ticking and squealing away to the point its echoing off the houses and the guy still looks at me and says I don't hear a thing. A few more turns around the streets and me pointing out again of "you have to hear that"...nope cant hear anything....on the way back he says "oh wait, that tick tick tick metalish sound like rubbing"....at this point I'm asking him again are you f'ing with and kidding?

Tech says well if that's the noise you have been talking about that is normal for these trucks, its the compound of the brake pads they use and that is something you will not get rid of, its "Normal And Acceptable Noise For Metallic Brakes" and there is nothing to be done about it!

Now I have met with a number of others around here just haning out as well been around many others in passing and none, not one of them are making this annoying ass noise that mine is all the time! And I honestly don't know if I think it is the brakes b/c it does it all the time even if not braking! Just coasting it does, under acceleration it does it, coasting to a stop, and when actually braking it does it. It sounds like its coming from the front center to front right of the truck from under the hood?

Does not even have 1000 miles on it yet, there is no way I can put up with this noise all the time from here on out! Does the above sounds or details clost to anything familiar to any of you guys? Is the tech for of sh!t? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated cause nothing has changed!

Last edited by KJS : 07-23-2006 at 04:39 PM.