H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

Well, you need 17+ individuals reporting windshield replacements to get 1% of this Forum. But I would think this is a fairly good cross section for a poll.

And TBarrow needs to quit driving behind gravel trucks.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

Well, you need 17+ individuals reporting windshield replacements to get 1% of this Forum. But I would think this is a fairly good cross section for a poll.

And TBarrow needs to quit driving behind gravel trucks.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by "Doc"-sqrd:
...I had an 8" curvilinear crack... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Curvilinear always seemed to be an oxymoron of a word to me. I mean, linear is supposed to mean a straight line and curvi has to with curves. So curvilinear would be a curved straight line.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by "Doc"-sqrd:
...I had an 8" curvilinear crack... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Curvilinear always seemed to be an oxymoron of a word to me. I mean, linear is supposed to mean a straight line and curvi has to with curves. So curvilinear would be a curved straight line.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:22 PM

Detonate is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pushrod:
Alright folks, keep the reports coming. If I have a sufficient number (much more than 1% of this list) I will send GM/Hummer a nastygram and try to get something going. Car companies just hate the prospect of a class action, and it does seem to me that designing a vehicle without taking into account that a pebble may hit the windshield is a design error. Please be specific with your reports. Did it crack and have to be replaced or did it just "star" so that it could be repaired, and how much did the replacement cost? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Dude, give me a break. Not everything needs to be solved with a lawyer.

The windshield has made semi vertical so that it would resemble the H1. The H1 has a vertical windshield so that planes flying overhead do not see a reflection of the sun off of the windshield.

I think Hummer did a good job of keeping the look of the H1, while trying to give it as much of a slant as posslbe to help with Aerodynamics, and yes... rocks...

Had they put a normal slant on the windshield, everyone would complain that it doesn't look like a Hummer... Just like the complaints already mentioned about the H3 windshield.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:22 PM

Detonate is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pushrod:
Alright folks, keep the reports coming. If I have a sufficient number (much more than 1% of this list) I will send GM/Hummer a nastygram and try to get something going. Car companies just hate the prospect of a class action, and it does seem to me that designing a vehicle without taking into account that a pebble may hit the windshield is a design error. Please be specific with your reports. Did it crack and have to be replaced or did it just "star" so that it could be repaired, and how much did the replacement cost? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Dude, give me a break. Not everything needs to be solved with a lawyer.

The windshield has made semi vertical so that it would resemble the H1. The H1 has a vertical windshield so that planes flying overhead do not see a reflection of the sun off of the windshield.

I think Hummer did a good job of keeping the look of the H1, while trying to give it as much of a slant as posslbe to help with Aerodynamics, and yes... rocks...

Had they put a normal slant on the windshield, everyone would complain that it doesn't look like a Hummer... Just like the complaints already mentioned about the H3 windshield.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

CLAYDOG is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Detonate:

Had they put a normal slant on the windshield, everyone would complain that it doesn't look like a Hummer... Just like the complaints already mentioned about the H3 windshield. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bullseye
Old 06-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

CLAYDOG is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Detonate:

Had they put a normal slant on the windshield, everyone would complain that it doesn't look like a Hummer... Just like the complaints already mentioned about the H3 windshield. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bullseye
Old 06-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

Count me in. Mine is cracked but my insurance company fixed it
Old 06-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

Count me in. Mine is cracked but my insurance company fixed it
Old 06-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

TouchdownTN is off the scale

Count me in and keep us all posted here on the forum! I have had 2 windshields and 3 cracks. My current windshield is cracked and has been repaired but does appear to be spreading out. So I know another replacement will have to occur soon. I think what most of us are upset about is that the windshield is not some type of reinforced glass that is able to stand up to the force that rocks and etc. puts on an upright windshield. Just my opinion, but it would make sense to me that if the glass is going to catching more force due to the upright angle then the glass needs to be made stronger to be able to accept the greater force. This seems like it would be logical design to me but I'm no engineer!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

TouchdownTN is off the scale

Count me in and keep us all posted here on the forum! I have had 2 windshields and 3 cracks. My current windshield is cracked and has been repaired but does appear to be spreading out. So I know another replacement will have to occur soon. I think what most of us are upset about is that the windshield is not some type of reinforced glass that is able to stand up to the force that rocks and etc. puts on an upright windshield. Just my opinion, but it would make sense to me that if the glass is going to catching more force due to the upright angle then the glass needs to be made stronger to be able to accept the greater force. This seems like it would be logical design to me but I'm no engineer!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Banned

Had they put a normal slant on the windshield, everyone would complain that it doesn't look like a Hummer... Just like the complaints already mentioned about the H3 windshield. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim,

I think you missed the point. It's not necessarily the design of the windshield I have a problem with but the fact that the glass used in the windshield is extremely low grade. This was a place that GM chose to save some money and it is costing the end user or the end user's insurance company. A windshield with a higher impact resistance for the outside pane would have solved most of the problem. Most of my cracks, stars and bullseyes are the result of very small pebbles. 2 of them happened when no other vehicle was around and I was going about 30 mph and 50 mph. One of those stayed on my hood and was extremely small and should not have chipped the glass.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Banned

Had they put a normal slant on the windshield, everyone would complain that it doesn't look like a Hummer... Just like the complaints already mentioned about the H3 windshield. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim,

I think you missed the point. It's not necessarily the design of the windshield I have a problem with but the fact that the glass used in the windshield is extremely low grade. This was a place that GM chose to save some money and it is costing the end user or the end user's insurance company. A windshield with a higher impact resistance for the outside pane would have solved most of the problem. Most of my cracks, stars and bullseyes are the result of very small pebbles. 2 of them happened when no other vehicle was around and I was going about 30 mph and 50 mph. One of those stayed on my hood and was extremely small and should not have chipped the glass.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

pushrod is off the scale

Exactly, Paragon. The designers and engineers who decided to build the windshield at a more vertical angle than the one on Tahoes and Yukons should have factored into the equation that it would be more succeptible to breaking in ordinary use. The technology exists to build a winshield that won't crack and cause the owner a $400 expense when hit with foreseeable, ordinary road detritus that fails to crack or even "star" the windshields of other vehicles. That's what I am mad about. And as much as I hate lawyers, they do in certain rare instances perform useful functions.

As I stated before, I will merely grumble and give the glass company $400 for another insufficiently designed windshield if only a small percentage of those on this list have had one broken. But if the numbers far exceed what should be experienced in normal use, I am going to make some noise at GM/Hummer. If yours has broken to the point of requiring replacement, post the facts on this list.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

pushrod is off the scale

Exactly, Paragon. The designers and engineers who decided to build the windshield at a more vertical angle than the one on Tahoes and Yukons should have factored into the equation that it would be more succeptible to breaking in ordinary use. The technology exists to build a winshield that won't crack and cause the owner a $400 expense when hit with foreseeable, ordinary road detritus that fails to crack or even "star" the windshields of other vehicles. That's what I am mad about. And as much as I hate lawyers, they do in certain rare instances perform useful functions.

As I stated before, I will merely grumble and give the glass company $400 for another insufficiently designed windshield if only a small percentage of those on this list have had one broken. But if the numbers far exceed what should be experienced in normal use, I am going to make some noise at GM/Hummer. If yours has broken to the point of requiring replacement, post the facts on this list.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:35 PM

Jordy is off the scale

JUST SAY NO TO CRACK

\"You are what you think you are - all day long\"
Old 06-20-2004, 10:35 PM

Jordy is off the scale

JUST SAY NO TO CRACK

\"You are what you think you are - all day long\"
Old 06-22-2004, 11:55 AM
\"Doc\"-sqrd \

\

Hi Paragon,

Just read your reply...so true! I "threw-in" some Radiology jargon, translated as: "curved line". Maybe I should have said "arcuate", but then again maybe the jargon was more understandable!

\"Doc\"-sqrd

\'03 Red, red grill, Gobi rack/spare tire/ladder, black chrome stuff, Warn 9500ti multimount frt/rr, Pioneer NAV system, Gobi frt/rr lights, brush guard lights, Xenarc HIDs, black chrome wheels waiting for 37\" tires.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:55 AM
\"Doc\"-sqrd \

\

Hi Paragon,

Just read your reply...so true! I "threw-in" some Radiology jargon, translated as: "curved line". Maybe I should have said "arcuate", but then again maybe the jargon was more understandable!

\"Doc\"-sqrd

\'03 Red, red grill, Gobi rack/spare tire/ladder, black chrome stuff, Warn 9500ti multimount frt/rr, Pioneer NAV system, Gobi frt/rr lights, brush guard lights, Xenarc HIDs, black chrome wheels waiting for 37\" tires.