H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

pushrod is off the scale

I was driving along the interstate at a rather sedate pace today when a "pop" attracted my attention to the passenger side windshield. There it was, an 8 inch circular crack descending from the top toward the right side of the vehicle. Damnit, damnit, damnit. I've only got 4,300 miles on the truck and I'm buying a new windshield already.

Thinking about the prior discussions on this board about the ease with which H2 windshieds crack, I am wondering how many of you have had the same problem. If the problem exceeds the frequency of windshield replacements among SUVs generally, then there is a design defect which I would be interested in asking GM to address, either by offering replacements under warranty or at a lowered price or by designing a thicker windshield that does not crack the first time a small pebble hits it in normal use.

Any information you can provide to me about your experience with windshield damage will help. If a significant portion of the owners on this board have had to replace their windshields, I will send GM a letter and invite a response. Please post your mileage at replacement and the cost, including labor, of the new windshield.
Hummer Veteran

pushrod is off the scale

I was driving along the interstate at a rather sedate pace today when a "pop" attracted my attention to the passenger side windshield. There it was, an 8 inch circular crack descending from the top toward the right side of the vehicle. Damnit, damnit, damnit. I've only got 4,300 miles on the truck and I'm buying a new windshield already.

Thinking about the prior discussions on this board about the ease with which H2 windshieds crack, I am wondering how many of you have had the same problem. If the problem exceeds the frequency of windshield replacements among SUVs generally, then there is a design defect which I would be interested in asking GM to address, either by offering replacements under warranty or at a lowered price or by designing a thicker windshield that does not crack the first time a small pebble hits it in normal use.

Any information you can provide to me about your experience with windshield damage will help. If a significant portion of the owners on this board have had to replace their windshields, I will send GM a letter and invite a response. Please post your mileage at replacement and the cost, including labor, of the new windshield.
Hummer Veteran

pushrod is off the scale

Old 06-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I haven't replaced mine yet and haven't had to for inspection, BUT I do have about 5 or 6 chips, bullseyes, and small cracks.

It's a result of the steep angle of the windshield. You just don't get a glancing blow like you do on more swept back windshields. GM could put a higher grade glass in front though. A version of the glass used in airplane and helicopter windshields that have melted salts in the outer pane would resist the cracking and chips. Combine the rake of the windshield with the low grade outer pane and every little pebble causes a chip. Not to mention that I think some of our rock chips come from our own front tires.

Back in Dec. of 2002 I even inquired with Ace Security Laminates about putting one of their laminates on the outside of the windshield because of this reason. They would do it but wouldn't warranty it or didn't know if it would stand up to the abuse of windshield wipers and weather since the laminate generally is applied to the inside of the windows.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

So far I've had 5 stars fixed. I know that the second I get it replaced I'll take a rock right in the middle of the new windshield.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

TouchdownTN is off the scale

I have had 2 chips repaired and am on my second windshield and it has a chip in it. I have ~29,000 miles in 16 months of ownership. I think there is something that could be done to make theses windshields stronger. My previous vehicle was a 99 Expedition it has had 0 chips or cracks and has the original windshield with almost 5 yrs of ownership and 90,000 miles.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:19 AM
Hummer Professional

TBarrow is off the scale

60,XXX Miles I just had windshield number 4 put in a few weeks ago. I had a chip within 2 days and another last weekend. The windshields have come down in price since more companies are now manufacturing them now. I was charged 362.00 for my last one.
Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2\" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and full dual exhaust by B&B as well, ARB fridge/freezer, Full Audio upgrade.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

I know that as I am sitting here typing this there is probably a meteorite streaking towards my truck.
36000 miles - several long distance North South trips and not a mark on the windshield yet.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Hummer Professional

It\'s a Dry Heat is off the scale

Don't flame me to hard, but I didn't think insurance was that costly for what we pay for Hummer windshilds. I've got a special inurance for the side and back glass for what the inurance wont cover. It was sold to me when I bought mine in Nov. 03.

The only glass I've replaced was for a break in. One of the back windows.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

HummerLvr is off the scale

Got a nice crack right in front of the driver seat. I got the whole windshield replaced. 1 week later got another star crack, had it sealed. 1 month later another chunk taken out the windshield. I drive both Freeway and "back roads". Stay away from big rigs if at all possible!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

JohnnyRPM is off the scale

I've had my new '04 for about 72 hours now and I got a nice big star this morning from what sounded like a relatively small pebble that jumped up on my on the highway.

72 hours old and I'm already calling for new glass.

At this rate it's gonna be a long winter this year with all the salt and sand that kicks up around here after the hwy dept trucks do their thing.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:36 AM

Kevin B is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> posted 06-05-04 01:33 PM
Got a nice crack right in front of the driver seat.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You and H2Finally .
Old 06-06-2004, 02:21 AM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

If you are going to trive behind a 18 wheeler - Ride right on his bumper or a half mile back that way the stones / pebbles cant hit you!
Old 06-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

HummerLvr is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by N2ITNSD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> posted 06-05-04 01:33 PM
Got a nice crack right in front of the driver seat.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> You and H2Finally . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice!
Old 06-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Hummer Professional

mbdougl is off the scale

I got two cracks the first week I owned it. It doesn't seem to take much to break the windshield. If GM were really consumer friendly they could offer to replace any H2 windshield that has broken with stronger glass, that is the kinda stuff that creates repeat buyers! Maybe they could use the stuff they put in fighter planes. Here on the East Coast the cicadas are almost gone, I was getting sick of getting giant bug guts splattered all over my truck.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

JohnnyBoy is off the scale

Yes, the damn windsheild cracks easily.
Pay the extra money and get yourself the new Titanium Windsheilds, they are gauranteed for life.
If all else fails...... can you say;
TRANSPARENT ALUMINUM
CompuStar Auto Security/Remote Starter.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Kiraco is an unknown quantity at this point

I had mine replaced at about 1500 miles. Not a cheap replacement.