H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-13-2003, 10:38 PM

Otto is off the scale

If money was not an issue, would you rather own a H2 or a Porsche Cayenne?
Old 06-13-2003, 10:38 PM

Otto is off the scale

If money was not an issue, would you rather own a H2 or a Porsche Cayenne?
Old 06-13-2003, 10:45 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a feeling most of us are biased with regard to the answer. But I chose the H2 over all others due to many factors. Bad Ass and different were among them. Of course I upgraded the performance. Can the Porsche Pepper spin tires on dry pavement ?

Seriously, I could have gotten the Pepper but just fell in love with the H2. Ride, comfort, performance and "Awe" factor made it the truck for me.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 06-13-2003, 11:32 PM

argonaut is off the scale

I had a debate over this very issue with my girlfriend. She wanted the turbo Cayenne, and I wanted the H2. Good thing it's my money H2 it is. But seriously, the cayenne is nice, but only for on road people, or people concerned with image. The H2 is that way tgo go if you plan on heading off the pavement. Plus it is more macho than a suped up soccer mom vehicle (cayenne).
Old 06-14-2003, 12:10 AM
Circuitguy

Two totaly different machines. No comparrison. You my be able to compare the Porsche to a Land Rover but never an H2. As to price being no issue,I would still take the H2. But thats me. My buddy just purchased a new Land Rover and while doing so he looked at the Porsche at the same dealership. He said the Porsche could not even compare to to what the Land Rover or the H2 can offer. I can't speak for everybody but Its all about what I want in a car or truck not the purchase price. Anyway you only make payments on it until you trade it in! My two cents...C

First American Properties Inc. 916-858-2383
White 03-H2-LUX
Old 06-14-2003, 12:22 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

The MSRP of $54K is about the same, but turbo Cayenne is over $100K. My choice was and is Hummer. I used to think Cayenne is handsome, but I see more now, the more I look at that Cayenne the more ugly it looks.

Porsche owners are also very snobbish, 914, 928 and 944 were never accepted as "real Porsches". (928S4 is so beautiful!) I doubt Cayenne will ever be accepted, and that hatred lasts decades or forever among Porsche owners.

In Hummer's case, H2 has turned H1 into antique and their owners as antique collectors, in due time, by overwhelming quantity and by superior quality, H2 will be or is the Hummer standard bearer, H1 will be the respected beloved grandfather upstair.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:40 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

I personally don't like the class of vehicles that the Cayenne falls under. Just not for me. Not quite and SUV, not really a station wagon, goes fast as (or faster than) a car, has some offroad capabities, etc. I like pure rugged elegance of the H2. The Cayenne just lacks the "X" factor appeal of the H2.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd have an H1, H2 and something zippy like a Ferrari.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:19 AM

Grim_Smoker is off the scale

I'd buy the Cayenne and park it in the front yard, then climb the H2 on top of it in different poses, and park it. Get out take some pictures, and leave it as abstract art.

-Grim

2003 Sunset Metalic Orange H2 - Breathless Stage 2B, HID's, Gobi Rack & Ladder.

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06
Old 06-14-2003, 01:23 AM

HOHOH2 is off the scale

I'm in love with the H2 but I have to admit to being intrigued by the Cayenne. There is an offroad package and the approach/departure angles are better than most. I guess I'd be the craziest Cayenne owner on the planet for even thinking that I could keep up offroad but I am intrigued.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:19 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I think the cayene is a joke. Sorry to come off so strong, but I was expecting MUCH more from Porsche.

Check it out: if the EXACT IDENTICAL vehicle was made by Subaru and sold for $27K....nobody would touch it!!!!!! Think about it...you know I'm right. It's strictly about name & image.

If the H2 is considered an SUV on steroids, then the Cayene is a mid-sized SUV (with mini-van influence) with a powerful/fast engine. I'd love to take it offroading with us...when it gets stuck we can use it for traction.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:53 PM
H2 Club Houston Chapter Founder

BADRAP is off the scale

I would have still chosen the Hummer, but I had a 914, and a 944 and I was welcomed into the groups here in town no problems, I understand that some Porsche owners are snobs, but not all..

BADRAP
03 H2, Lux, Pewter, more upgrades soon..
Houston Texas H2 Hummer Chapter..
badrap@sbcglobal.net
Old 06-15-2003, 02:16 PM

DCfromCapeCod is off the scale

The Cayenne was not built to be an off-road vehicle, it was built to appeal to all the 996 (current 911 model) owners that also wanted SUV's. It also turns a pretty incredible time on the N'ring in Germany.

As a Porsche guy myself (1998 C2S Widebody), I considered the Cayenne and I like the numbers but I just can't get excited over the looks and I need the whole package.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:36 PM

DiscoDancingRover is off the scale

Man Steve you must really hate that thing. But I have to dissage with you tha it is just a minivan comment. It doesn't have much an influence IMHO. I think it is pretty Badass (MAC don't yell at me please). Also look at the VW Touage or something like that. It will sell more then the Porsche and it pretty much the same thing minus the bigger engine. I like how the Porsche looks and it seems pretty confident off-road, the footage I saw of it on Moab was pretty cool...

Rover owner, with light envy...
Old 06-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

According to what I've read, VW Touage and Cayenne are very different animals, even through the Porsche engineers developed both vehicles. A VW is never a Porsche, VW owners may dream about it and give you all kind of excuses, but NO NO NO. If you really need to know the hardware details, you have to read AutoWeek or Road & Track or any of the auto magazines. The testers came away very impressed, but that will never please the one-track-minded guys who will judge every automobile by the offroad capabilities ONLY.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:17 PM

Otto is off the scale

It is interesting to note that many 'offroad capabilities ONLY' guys do not mention that they use this nation's highways to get them to the sites where they can 'offroad'. In fact, the majority of them use their same 'offroad' machines to take them to and from work everyday.
yet they will boast relentlessly about their 2 day a week exploits and say nothing about their 5 day a week utilitarian activities in the very same vehicle.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:44 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

"2 days a week exploits" is a gross exaggeration. What kind of man would abandon his family and goes off into the mountains 2 days a week? I think Hummer offroaders are far more normal than that. Otto is very observant in noticing that some friends sounded like they are offroading every day of the week and they don’t have a life outside of offroad. I can assure you that they do have a life besides offroad, regardless of what they may say.

But if offroad capabilities is the only judgment of an automobile, then you need to look no further than those weekend rock climbing and offroad TV shows with highly modified ugly trucks with huge tires. Hummer is a sissy joke compare to those real mean offroad vehicles.

Porsche is a magical brand, a name to be respected by any car lovers. I can imagine it must be a joy to drive the Porsche Cayenne daily, as I do with my Hummer.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:25 AM

bklynh2srock is off the scale

Realistically, I'd get the Touareg in addition to the H2 we already have. If money were no object, I'd get the Range Rover instead of the Porsche/Touareg. Touareg is loaded for the $$$, excellent value, very luxe, and yes, it appears it will be pretty capable both on and off road (not H2 mind you, but much better than those that lack even 4lo). Especially with the available lockers -- even tho I'd probably rarely take either Cayenne/Touareg off road.

If I get a Porsche, it will be an old 956 or a 912 or an early 911. I am not one of those people that thinks it is sacrilege for Porsche to make an SUV, but it makes me uneasy.
but she knows what she knows.
Give that girl wings and that\'s all she wrote.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:31 PM

Peyton77 is off the scale

http://www.cayenneforum.com/

Peyton

WWW.LANDMARKBANKONLINE.COM
WWW.GIANTBANK.COM

Old 06-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly Brooklyn, it makes me uneasy too. An 'out of their element' feeling. I'm not much for "Lapdog SUVs" so I'll stick with the HUMMER.

- Dan

-------------------------------------------
SUT on order since 12/02 - ONE YEAR to go!
-------------------------------------------
Old 06-16-2003, 02:10 PM

bklynh2srock is off the scale

By the way, DO NOT go to the Touareg forum. I think I fell asleep at the keys. Although I appreciate this forum so much, I appreciated it that much more after I'd gone out and cheated on you guys.
but she knows what she knows.
Give that girl wings and that\'s all she wrote.