H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 08-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Hummer Professional

It\'s a Dry Heat is off the scale

How far before you need lockup do you btm?
Does both axels lock or just one of them?
How fast does it engage and disengage?

I know I've been around the forum for almost a year with my H2 and only heard parts of these answers. You guys are quiet down here. Thank you for your time answering.

The reason I'm asking is my daughter a Marine is not tought the trick. maybe military humvees don't have it. There trucks are in the 1994-96 models, They look it too. When they went to Irac there trucks went over on ship, my datghter with the trucks. Then brought the same trucks back. Thats while other marines are moving there trucks back and forth. Thanks again!
Hummer Professional

I know I've been around the forum for almost a year with my H2 and only heard parts of these answers. You guys are quiet down here. Thank you for your time answering.

The reason I'm asking is my daughter a Marine is not tought the trick. maybe military humvees don't have it. There trucks are in the 1994-96 models, They look it too. When they went to Irac there trucks went over on ship, my datghter with the trucks. Then brought the same trucks back. Thats while other marines are moving there trucks back and forth. Thanks again!
Hummer Professional

Old 08-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Vern,
BTM is used when the driver starts to feel the wheels slip or when the truck is stuck. The best technique is to depress the brake pedal to the floor, after that bring the throttle up to 1800 RPM's (the torque curve of the 6.5), once the throttle is at 1800 slowley let off the brake untill the truck starts to crawl forward. When you BTM the H1 both axles will lock as long as the T-case is locked in 4 Hi or Low. I do not know weather or not this works on the Humvee, I bet Axleman would know try giving him a shout.

-007=
Old 08-25-2004, 12:18 AM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

To add to what was said:

The reason why you need BTM is that the Torsen differential has a ratio where it will send up to 4.5 times the torque to one side, and the remainder to the other.

The catch is that if one side has zero traction, you get zero transfer of torque to the other side.

It's my understanding that the stock M998 Torsen differential is 4.5:1, where if you have 100 units of torque on one side, the other gets up to 450 units.

If you have zero traction on one side, BTM will utilize the brakes to "fool" the torsen differential into thinking there's resistance from something, therefore it will spin the other side.

Of course, you eat up your brakes doing it.

On a side note- the reason why your daughter's unit is shuttling vehicles back and forth is because those vehicles belong to that unit. It's part of their TO&E. If it's assigned to them - they are responsible for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by It's a Dry Heat:

The reason I'm asking is my daughter a Marine is not tought the trick. maybe military humvees don't have it. There trucks are in the 1994-96 models, They look it too. When they went to Irac there trucks went over on ship, my datghter with the trucks. Then brought the same trucks back. Thats while other marines are moving there trucks back and forth. Thanks again! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-25-2004, 02:48 AM
Hummer Professional

Thanks, I think I understand the open dif and torque is sent to the wheel with traction at 4.5 to 1 my New holland tractor's got a manual dif lock on the rear axel. It disengages reather quick after releasing peddle. Does the axels on the H1 disengage quickly or when tire traction is equal again.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:36 AM
Hummer Expert

You'll never notice it. I don't.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

I took my new truck (new to me...97.5 hmco) offroad for the first time this past weekend. I didn't want to push it too hard (new engine) but I was really curious about how well btm worked. Been reading about it here on the forum for the past 2 years (I've had an H2).

It was much easier and better than I had thought. I was under the impression that I had to really mash the brakes, but just a light pressure on the brake pedal is all it required.

It was the first time the truck had been in the dirt...I rescued it from a guy who was happy just driving it on the pavement (not quite sure I get owning one of these to just drive on the street?). He washed it so often I'm surprised I don't see bare metal or sky through the top. It was great to see it dirty -- looks much better imho.

ron b
Old 09-03-2004, 02:46 AM
Hummer Professional

RonB,
I hope someday I can write a post like yours! Waiting on timing on investments or just out right buy the H1. I would love an older truck but hard to find them well taken care of like yours. Thanks for the post.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

my truck was indeed well taken care of, but unfortunately driven so rarely that the dreaded #8 cylinder never rose it's ugly head (until I got my greedy little hands on it and happily drove the **** out of it the first few weeks). Now, with the new engine and some other minor upgrades, I am really happy with it. Next week I'm off to Billy and Rachel's new shop for their steel rocksliders, ucp, crossmember and bed rack.

new meaning for money pit. (insert smiley here)

Ron B
Old 09-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also picked up a used street queen. Aside from multiple minor problems my truck has been great to me, there out there Vern you've just got to look far and near to find them. My one piece of advice is do not compromise is something does not feel right walk away, making gut decisions can really cost you. Hell look at HUMMERDOGG, he's a really good example of someone that will get a great truck when he finds one. Actually, HUMMERDOGG maybe you should settle that way you could finally get your truck.

-007=
Old 09-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Hummer Expert

Have Bill and Rachael finally settled into their new digs in the High Desert yet?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonB:
my truck was indeed well taken care of, but unfortunately driven so rarely that the dreaded #8 cylinder never rose it's ugly head (until I got my greedy little hands on it and happily drove the **** out of it the first few weeks). Now, with the new engine and some other minor upgrades, I am really happy with it. Next week I'm off to Billy and Rachel's new shop for their steel rocksliders, ucp, crossmember and bed rack.

new meaning for money pit. (insert smiley here)

Ron B <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

they are indeed moved in -- I'm supposed to drive up there sometime this coming week to get my stuff installed. I'm very excited to un-bling the truck and start hitting the dirt more often.

Ron B
Old 09-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Ron, if you're hitting any trail, call/email/pm me! Better yet lets go at night -- got my new off-raod lights installed . Been itchin since JBT..
Old 09-05-2004, 02:45 AM
Hummer Expert

I'd love to see what the rear bed rack looks like. Please post pics when you get it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonB:
they are indeed moved in -- I'm supposed to drive up there sometime this coming week to get my stuff installed. I'm very excited to un-bling the truck and start hitting the dirt more often.

Ron B <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

I do have a picture I found on the HML of the bed-rack. I don't know who's truck this is, nice though.

enjoy
Ron
Attached Files
File Type: unlimitedoffroad_bed_rack (102.9 KB, 447 views)
Old 09-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

here's another angle.

I like this rack because you maintain visibility out the back, only increase the vehicle's height by 2 or 3 inches and have full use of the bed for larger items (more beer).

Ron
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2004, 03:26 AM
Hummer Professional

HUMMERDOGG is an unknown quantity at this point

Carey-

Patience is the True Conqueror...

Hell, I was a member of this forum for over 10 months before I bought my H2 and I've been a member of the hml web forum since June 2003 and the original humvee.net email subscriber list since 1999. Patience my friends, patience...
Old 09-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

hey that's a really nice truck and that rack is really cool.

Just so happens I have a few more pictures of it on my website for those interested.

One word of caution, Unlimited Offroad has gained a very bad rep lately with making promises and not delivering. I will say that my transaction though not smooth ended up working out. Take it for what its worth. Lynch also sells a rack similar though I don't think there's has the gas can and hilift mounts. The rack is very cool and real nice so I can only hope things for billy and rachael work out in the end.

2003 H2

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net