H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WARNING - H3 Off Road Lights - Possible Fire Hazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
melted light covers?
No. Something else...not sure what as 2 year olds aren't that good at explaining their woes.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
I carry my schematics on the laptop....

Lucky you I wasn't about to spend $400 on the DVD (I tried a group buy with friends/family, but everyone said "It's a new truck, why would I need a FSM?"). Now, I just carry around 20lbs of paper with me everywhere I drive.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
Can't you wire it to a circuit that's on when the key is in the run position, put the key in and turn it to run, but don't start the engine? Yes you have to put the key in, but you don't have to start the truck.

I prefer to have at least one set of lights available when the ignition is off - I hate the chimes and sometimes at night it's nice to have some serious light.

That said, you should be able to manually wire the relay from an open ACC/IGN position on the fusebox. I can't remember what # I used, but there are quite a few available switched spots - just run a (12+ gauge) wire from the fuse box to the power input on the relay (ignore the schematic) - the switch in the cab would work, but the relay would have no power unless the switch was on.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

cestwick is off the scale

I am at home now and would have to look but I do know for a fact that roof mounted lights are on a "HOT" circuit but the Grille mounted lights are on a "Ign. on HOT" cicuit. I do not know why GM made one hot all the time and not the other or vis-versa but they did. If you want it to be keyed hot all you would have to do is switch the wire in the fuse box from the roof light terminal to the grille lights terminal..before you ask I do not have that info with me but can find out or someone esle on here might have it available..

Chris
'06 H3 Shadow Green, Adventure, 6 disk Monsoon, SMA brush guard w/PIAA lights, Rocky Road extreme rocker protection, roof lights(off road), lower grill lights(off road), Helo Maxx8 Black Wheels, 35" Cooper STT, Garmin I-Que M4 to get home.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:01 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestwick
I am at home now and would have to look but I do know for a fact that roof mounted lights are on a "HOT" circuit but the Grille mounted lights are on a "Ign. on HOT" cicuit. I do not know why GM made one hot all the time and not the other or vis-versa but they did. If you want it to be keyed hot all you would have to do is switch the wire in the fuse box from the roof light terminal to the grille lights terminal..before you ask I do not have that info with me but can find out or someone esle on here might have it available..

Chris
Chris,

Are you sure the grille lights are not wired off the low beam headlights ie- the headlights have to be on to turn the grill lights on? Sometimes aux lights switch are fed this way.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Grille lights are controlled by the BCM, which in turn controls the RAP circuit. You could do some rewiring from the roof to the grille, but it would be more than one wire.
Roof has one wire coming out of the fuse box; whereas, the grille has two wires; not counting the BCM control circuit for the RAP relay.
It would be easier to do some cutting and butting of wires, than trying to rewire the roof lights to be the same as grille lights.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

MxHonda is off the scale
Thumbs down Re: WARNING - H3 Off Road Lights - Possible Fire Hazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3.007
I'd rather be an alarmist than to have somebody's child burn up because of someone's stupid mistake and the chance that a fire may happen regardless of the odds and experience.

And we should close down the trails that are getting all torn up by 4 wheelers and bikers. Save the forest for our children! (unless they get all burnt up by leaving you light covers on and starting the city on fire) then we can keep the trails open

If I leave the stove on, a candle lit, or the Iron on, and it burns my house down, who can I blame?

Really, thanks for the heads up! I always like it when I can learn from someone elses mistake. God knows I make enough of my own!