H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 10,000 mile critique of the 2008 H2

OK all.....just clicked over 10,000 miles on the 08 on a trip to myrtle beach this past week.

My impressions....well first and foremost...the beast likes high octane fuel the best. Any lagging or hunting for gears when rolling slowly was eliminated by using 93 octane fuel.

It rolled 85 to 90 for hours on end on the interstates, when rolling 80 the engine was turning about 2000 RPMS, anything over 80 and it upshifted a gear and would run about 2800 RPMS.

Got it up to 100MPH and it was as steady at that speed as going 55. Was running out of room or I would have seen what top speed was.

SO all in all props to Hummer for the 08 drive train!

The interior...gone are the plastic squeaks...cant say enough about the interior. Love it.

The Nav unit...was spot on! Great system and really works well. Her name by the way is Lola...and she is happy to tell you where to go!

Lets see....oh...heated washer fluid rocks for getting the 1000 bugs off the windshield when rolling down the interstate. Just uses alot of washer fluid.

Paddle shifters were nice in the mountains of WV on I-79...made it easy to down shift on the hills.

and mileage.....a WHOPPING 12.7 MPG....but pushing a brick that fast is going to use some fuel!

Great machine....cant wait to see what the do in 09!

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 06-25-2008, 02:15 AM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 10,000 mile critique of the 2008 H2

I'd love to get in the high 12s with my H2 on the highway. I've never used premium. Does anyone else use premium? The book doesn't call for it, but if it increases the mileage, I might have to factor in the cost and see.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

Pure_Justice is on a distinguished road

I can't say I have tried premium in my Rig. or 89 for that matter as of yet. I do tend to use 89 on occassion, once I pass 100k on SUV though, as it seems to help with the ride. But then again, that was on another SUV.

~Pure_Justice~
Old 06-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

I've used premium in my '06 H2 twice in two years and didn't notice any difference at all, so I've stuck with 87 octane. Good review Mike Jr! I like the interior on the '08s and I know they are making good deals.
The problem is I love my '06 and except for the seat motor it's been trouble free for over two years. I have another run out to Syracuse before the 4th of July and I'll try a tank of premium and see what it does for the mileage - I'm doubting I will see anything, however, they say premium has more detergents and it will clean out the injectors a little ......maybe.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Hummer Authority

I cannot say that the premium fuel got me any better MPG's than regular per se. I recall in my 2006 SUV when we made the same run, I got about 12.7 or so on the mileage burning regular fuel.

But what I did notice was better performance from the rig. I'd had some issues when rolling pulling out from a rolling start...say about 5 to 10 mph that it would hunt and then you would have to mash down on it to get it going kicking it down. With the premium that situation is gone thank god!

My 06 was trouble free also. My 08 had an chaffed wire from the factory that was fixed and its been a great machine.

I seem to recall in the 08 that the book recommends it. There was a posting on here before about that. I'll have to dig out the book and see what it says.

Everyone at my office is surprised we took the H2 on the trip. Asked if it was comfy to travel in. I always say its like sitting in your lazy boy driving down the road. Many people think its a rough riding spartan vehicle. We took the H2 instead of my wifes brand new 08 CTS Caddy....thats just how comfy the H2 is in our opinion....

well time to get some work done...

Old 06-27-2008, 03:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

Little General is an unknown quantity at this point

The owners manuel for the 08 does say use prem fuel. If not it could cause spark knock and the such.........The 08 has the 6.2 corvette engine it and it does run better on 93.The only thing that pissed me off is when I bought my 08, the dealer filled it with 87 octane . They suggested 93 to prevent "engine damage" and told me to switch to 93 but they were too cheap to give a full tank of prem.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

HUMMERICH23 is on a distinguished road

Hey all, finally signed up:

Hey you are right, i just picked up my 08 Solar Flare SUV 3 weeks ago and the dealer put 87 and i know because i rode with the guy to do it. Also it runs way better on 93. I will take pics if no one believes me, but i drive 60 miles highway round trip to hospital and i got 16.9 this morning on the way to work and 15.4 on the way home. I went exactly 65mph because i just hit cruise and go. There have times I have hit 17+ mpg avg highway, but that drops fast to 15 when I hit city driving. I have pretty much averaged this for the past three weeks. I have gotten over 400 miles on the last three tanks and it is only getting better. Now when i take it out to the country, off road, or drive in huge hills and twists and turns it has dropped to 12.9 and i am talking huge hills and I am sure everyone knows this thing works very hard to get up any incline( Does like to go downhill pretty fast, thank you gravity)
Old 06-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right, the manual does say premium and I've found that by airing up my tires to 41 psi and running a constant 65 mph I got 13.3 mpg going out highway 70 yesterday. It seems the low tire pressure made a BIG difference in my mileage. When they delivered mine they said I could use midgrade 89, but the transmission doesn't hunt for gears with the premium gas on grades, so I'm sticking with premium for the engine's sake as well as the better mileage. I must honestly say though, I didn't hear any knocking or pinging with regular 87, just more gear shifting in the tranny. It definitely accelerates better with premium!
Old 06-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

I think they went to premium gas when they put the higher horsepower engine in the '08 models. My '06 H2 seems to run fine on regular 87 octane.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 06-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerMann
I think they went to premium gas when they put the higher horsepower engine in the '08 models. My '06 H2 seems to run fine on regular 87 octane.

Agreed....my 06 ran fine on regular....but like another post said, I think the new engine likes its premium. Performs so much better. So i'll be keeping premium in the beast from now on.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerJim
I'd love to get in the high 12s with my H2 on the highway. I've never used premium. Does anyone else use premium? The book doesn't call for it, but if it increases the mileage, I might have to factor in the cost and see.

When gas was cheaper i used to use Premium. I see the same Mileage with 87...
Old 06-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Hummer Professional

pteam is on a distinguished road

Mikejr,

Just so you know the heated washers can be turned off after only 1 or 2 sprays by hitting the button again, you don't have to wait for it to do its whole 10 sprays or whatever the cycle is
Supercharged Viper 800 HP Special Edition #49 of 50
Porsche Boxster S

My Hummers:
08 H2, 22 in rims, 6 HID lights, 20 in TV with DVD
4 H2 limos 3 have lighted dance floors + ceilings, 1 has Zebra interior 24-26 passengers
H2 Limo 26 pass lighted dance floor (sold)
H2 Limo 24 pass (sold)
03 H2 (sold)
H1 Open top (sold)

FirstClassLimos.net - H2 limos and party buses in OH & PA

my car collection
Old 06-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteam
Mikejr,

Just so you know the heated washers can be turned off after only 1 or 2 sprays by hitting the button again, you don't have to wait for it to do its whole 10 sprays or whatever the cycle is

Thanks PTEAM....i was aware of that. usually after two shots it has the windshield clean so i hit the button and stop it. I think it maxes out at 4 cycles. Really is a nice feature. My wifes 08 CTS has them on it too. Havent tried them out yet. Car only has about 300 miles on it so far.