H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

ufcjeff is off the scale
Default 2007 Child Safety Locks ???

Does anyone know for certain if this oversight has been addressed for 2007 H3?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

ufcjeff is off the scale
Default Re: 2007 Child Safety Locks ???

26 views and no one knows?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:41 AM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

Don't know, but an easy fix I've found was to hook up 10,000 volts to the back seat door handles when the vehicle is out of park. My first fix was lining the handles with razor blades until I got the regulator though.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:58 AM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

Might help if you give a little more info. My 06 has child safety locks.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Builder is an unknown quantity at this point

It was suppost to be on 2007 all H3's.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

ufcjeff is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dеiтайожни
Don't know, but an easy fix I've found was to hook up 10,000 volts to the back seat door handles when the vehicle is out of park. My first fix was lining the handles with razor blades until I got the regulator though.
Hmm, remind me never to ride in your back seat!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

ufcjeff is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserth3
Might help if you give a little more info. My 06 has child safety locks.

What I am referring to is the little switch that is on the inner part of the rear doors (when it's open) that will prevent the door from being opened. The early '06 did not come with these locks this was a major complaint by a lot of people with kids, likely opting not to buy the H3 because of this oversight. Does your 06 have these locks or are you thinking of something else? Perhaps they corrected the problem already.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Mid year release is scheduled for the rear door child seat safety locks. Not sure on the time they will go into production.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

TrojanH3 is off the scale

I don't know of any '06 that has child locks and was told they would not (at least initially) be on the '07. That is why I went ahead and got an '06 as it wasn't a deal breaker for me. My parents never had a problem with us kids trying to open the door so I figure we can handle our kids too. Besides, the're in childseats right now anyway.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Hummer Professional

aggiehummer...er is off the scale

We had a customers child open the door and fall to death out of their H3 due to the lack of child safety locks, so we're all waiting for them to be released.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:33 AM
Hummer Guru

And I suppose they are suing Hummer/GM due to this tragedy, or are they accepting the blame?
Hell, I raised three rambunctious boys back in the 80s who were into everything, but they only tried to open the rear door or remove the seat belts once. All three tested me and their mother once, and that was all they dared.
Didn't have to spank 'em, didn't have to electrify the doors, all I had to do was stop the vehicle, turn around and inform them the wrath of Dad would befall them if they ever tried that stunt again. The voice, the look, that was all that was needed.
In seven years, working very closely with GM product investigators in MI and TN, I never heard of any kid opening a door and falling out, who was properly restrained in a car seat. I have to assume that when they were old enough to only wear a seat belt, they were old enough not to try it.
For a kid, properly restrained in a car seat, to reach forward, and open the door while it is doing 10-100 miles an hour, makes it almost impossible to open the door (unless the one-year old is built like Arnold). Try it sometime yourself, open a car door at 10 miles an hour and you can feel the resistance from the air trying to close it. You can open it, but you are an adult.
If the car was going around the corner in the opposite direction from the door being opened, yes the door will swing open. But the kid will not fall out if PROPERLY restrained in a car seat that is PROPERLY attached to the seat and belts.
If the parents allow the child to romp around the back seat, and kid opens the door, yes, he may fall out and get killed. However, all states require kids to be restrained in a car seat or seat belts, so Mom and Dad are not only breaking the law, they should not be parents.

Hummer will be adding the child safety locks, this decision was made last year, due to input from vehicle clinics and requests from the Customer assistance center. It was not a decision from the fact someone fell out, it was a decision based upon market research. It will help sell vehicles, so I'm for it.

Another interesting fact from surveys performed by NHTSA a few years ago. Most parents did not use the child safety locks, due to not knowing they were there (salespeople forgot to show the feature and/or they did not read the owner's manual). I believe that survey would be different today, but who knows.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

ufcjeff is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
And I suppose they are suing Hummer/GM due to this tragedy, or are they accepting the blame?
Hell, I raised three rambunctious boys back in the 80s who were into everything, but they only tried to open the rear door or remove the seat belts once. All three tested me and their mother once, and that was all they dared.
Didn't have to spank 'em, didn't have to electrify the doors, all I had to do was stop the vehicle, turn around and inform them the wrath of Dad would befall them if they ever tried that stunt again. The voice, the look, that was all that was needed.
In seven years, working very closely with GM product investigators in MI and TN, I never heard of any kid opening a door and falling out, who was properly restrained in a car seat. I have to assume that when they were old enough to only wear a seat belt, they were old enough not to try it.
For a kid, properly restrained in a car seat, to reach forward, and open the door while it is doing 10-100 miles an hour, makes it almost impossible to open the door (unless the one-year old is built like Arnold). Try it sometime yourself, open a car door at 10 miles an hour and you can feel the resistance from the air trying to close it. You can open it, but you are an adult.
If the car was going around the corner in the opposite direction from the door being opened, yes the door will swing open. But the kid will not fall out if PROPERLY restrained in a car seat that is PROPERLY attached to the seat and belts.
If the parents allow the child to romp around the back seat, and kid opens the door, yes, he may fall out and get killed. However, all states require kids to be restrained in a car seat or seat belts, so Mom and Dad are not only breaking the law, they should not be parents.

Hummer will be adding the child safety locks, this decision was made last year, due to input from vehicle clinics and requests from the Customer assistance center. It was not a decision from the fact someone fell out, it was a decision based upon market research. It will help sell vehicles, so I'm for it.

Another interesting fact from surveys performed by NHTSA a few years ago. Most parents did not use the child safety locks, due to not knowing they were there (salespeople forgot to show the feature and/or they did not read the owner's manual). I believe that survey would be different today, but who knows.
F5fstop, I agree completely. My kids are well disciplined when it comes to wearing their seatbelts and my youngest who still in a carseat is strapped in so tight, even If she was built like Arnold, she would not get out! This is not a deal breaker for me, just something to make me more comfortable.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:08 AM
Hummer Guru

You know, one good thing I have learned from making kids from day one wear belts; whenever my kids are over, and we go somewhere, they automatically fasten their belts. Like my youngest told me on the trip to Utah, it is so automatic to fasten the belt, he would feel naked without it on.
Teach 'em young, and it will be just like walking to them...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ken06H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiehummer...er
We had a customers child open the door and fall to death out of their H3 due to the lack of child safety locks, so we're all waiting for them to be released.

When did this happen? Trying doing a search, but came up empty focusing on DFW area...