H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

algy is on a distinguished road
Default Break Issue?

Synopses: I’ve got about 18,000 miles on these brakes. When braking at various speeds from 15 – 70 mph, brakes work well, no sounds and the braking system is very responsive.

Problem: When braking in quick brake situations the vehicle slows depending on the amount of pressure applied; however, there is a short grinding sound right before I come to a complete stop. It only occurs if I apply additional pressure before coming to a complete stop. The sound emits from the front brakes and I’ve had this problem for about 2 months now. I checked the disks, there does not appear to be any scaring or cutting into the disk.

Thoughts?

Last edited by algy : 02-04-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Break Issue?

B-R-A-K-E
Old 02-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Hummer Professional

SR1355 is on a distinguished road

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron
Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Long night... there you go.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Theres a few threads on this . If I lube the rear brackes at every tire rotation it stays away.Although I think I hear it now and then.

link http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ht=Brake+noise

F5 put this up on the X forum

Subject: Brakes Grunt, Groan, Grinding Noise from Rear When Vehicle Comes to a Stop (Refinish Rear Rotors) #07-05-23-004 - (09/26/2007)
Models: 2006-2008 HUMMER H3

Condition
Some customers may comment on a grunt, groan or grinding noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when coming to a stop.

Cause
Rotor corrosion generates a slip-stick condition transferring vibration through the suspension.

REPLACE THE ROTORS ONLY IF THE ROTOR THICKNESS IS BELOW THE MINIMUM THICKNESS SPEC AFTER REFINISH.

Refinish the rear rotors by removing 0.4 mm from both rear rotor surfaces.

Do not replace the brake pads unless the condition requires it (i.e. excessively worn, damaged, or contaminated).

If the noise persists, a brake dampening compound may be applied to the back of each pad. This allows parts to slide freely and not vibrate when moving relative to each other.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.

Last edited by fourfourto : 02-04-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks 442 and F5, Prior to posting I did a few searches on Brakes and did not find this thread... obviously do to my lack of spelling the search criteria correctly.

I'll bring this up w/ the dealer and print of F5's documentation to limit the dealer from take me for a ride... if, that is indeed the problem I am experiencing.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

My rear groan () has come back after all of my ranting and raving in the beginning. But, I'm carefully to come to a rolling stop now instead of the usual stop all other vehicles can make. If I have to stop quickly, the groan is there. Otherwise, it's minimal. Another dealer took care of the problem (after months of complaining and an ongoing dialogue with GM) by resurfacing the rear rotors and 'camfering' <spelling?> the brake pads. Good luck and let us know what you find out!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

Yesterday was a good time to go to the dealer for warranty service. I had the issue with the brakes as stated and a TPM error that has been bugging me for 2 months now. I printed off a copy of F5's posting that was provided by 442 and explained my problem to the service manager and gave them the attachment. Needless to say, they were very receptive of F5's missive, and provided it as an attachment to the mechs as stated on the repair receipt:

CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A GRINDING NOISE WHEN COMING TO A STOP
FROM BRAKES AND END OF BRAKE TRAVEL - SEE ATTACHED NOTICE

REAR BRAKE ROTORS HAVE GLAZE SURFACE.
RESURFACE BOTH REAR BRAKE ROTORS AND FILL OUT BRAKE ROTOR
WARRANTY SHEET. SCUFF AND THREAT REAR BRAKE PADS

I did speak with the mech and I tried to hang around in the shop to take photos of the repair to post, he was cool with it, but the service manager wasn't. He did say this is a continuing problem and there had been no notice to recall, but imagines there won't since it does not compromise the stopping ability of the truck and there are not a large number of cases. I'll probably purchase my own 3rd party rotors and pads once the warranty on the truck is out.. I've got 20K miles now and he said the pads are really good and will last another 30K miles unless I really cook'em by towing a trailer and drive the appalachian mountains.

After the repairs I turned the dealership's lot into a proving ground, speeding up to 30 mph and slamming on the brakes. Though I've only been driving under 2 days since the repair, I have not heard the grinding sound.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats good they took care of you without a problem.
Dont be suprized in about 6k it comes back. (if it does lub the pads and shims)
I just hit 40k inspected brakes and lubed a couple of thousand miles back and the pads still looked good over 50% left on front 75%+ back(the rears were changed at 12K.)
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.