H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road
Default tire inflator question

hi guys,

Which would be a good tire inflator with gauge to get that works well on H3 tires?

I bought the Campbell Hausfeld MP6000 Tire Inflator with gauge some time ago and the thing was crap from the beginning until it finally broke yesterday. I had problem with this inflator because the design of the chuck/locking clip. Inflator wouldn't lock well on some of my H3 tires stems.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tire inflator question

I use that exact on on my extra airhose I use at the beach(they suppy about 10 air stations but only 2 hoses),I find it a little off ,and sometimes that clip is a pain in the a$$,it saves time at the beach to air up though.

I use a digital gauge(not sure what brand , acugauge i think its not a cheap one not expensive either)I check and adust the following morning and it works well.
I also have the masterflow compressor with a airhose I use it when im in the boonies and find the gauge on that is off a little to.
I usually put in 37lbs (hot) then
again I check following day with the digital and adjust to 35lbs (cold)

I would get a good digital gauge
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
I use that exact on on my extra airhose I use at the beach(they suppy about 10 air stations but only 2 hoses),I find it a little off ,and sometimes that clip is a pain in the a$$,it saves time at the beach to air up though.

I use a digital gauge(not sure what brand , acugauge i think its not a cheap one not expensive either)I check and adust the following morning and it works well.
I also have the masterflow compressor with a airhose I use it when im in the boonies and find the gauge on that is off a little to.
I usually put in 37lbs (hot) then
again I check following day with the digital and adjust to 35lbs (cold)

I would get a good digital gauge

Well, my main problem with MP6000 inflator is that the chuck is too deep and there is not enough of stem on some of my tires. So I will never "lock" tight enough to get the air into the tire, it just hisses all around the stem. Today at Walmart I bought a simple double sided, thin and shallow chuck as temporary solution, plus analog gauge. Funny thing - Amazon sells this MP6000 inflator for $25.44, and Walmart has it for under $15; first time I saw Amazon being more expensive then local retail..

I still want a decent inflator pistol with gauge. Separate digital gauge is a good idea I guess -they're probably pretty accurate. I have Campbell Hausfeld compressor/tank, for use in the garage. That is pretty nice that you guys have inflation stations on the beach - how convenient. BTW, how do you attach your own hose? Do they use quick-disconnect fittings (I'd think), or you have to screw it on?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Hummer Guru

On the beach its regular quick connect(female) like at a shop.
sometimes theres a line for the 2 hoses.

on my h3 the masterflow is under the hood with a quick connect(male fitting behind my sidestep to plug in the hose that has a tight screw type fitting to put on tire valve.

I can use the beach hose for the truck by adding a rubber hose to the 2 male fittings.(if to much presure builds up the hose will pop off because its for a tank regulated system)

A back up if the other one breaks in the middle of nowhere

Name:  uhl install side.JPG
Views: 1290
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  chain plug fitting.JPG
Views: 1081
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  jack comp stuff.JPG
Views: 1524
Size:  56.1 KB
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
On the beach its regular quick connect(female) like at a shop.
sometimes theres a line for the 2 hoses.

on my h3 the masterflow is under the hood with a quick connect(male fitting behind my sidestep to plug in the hose that has a tight screw type fitting to put on tire valve.

I can use the beach hose for the truck by adding a rubber hose to the 2 male fittings.(if to much presure builds up the hose will pop off because its for a tank regulated system)

A back up if the other one breaks in the middle of nowhere

you have a nice setup in your truck! I'm not so far into installing compressor on board since I'm not sure if I'll keep the truck, want to stay more or less stock (or easily reversible to stock) in case of trading in for newer H3 (or H2).

Since you drive appaerently in sand often, I have a question - I went offroad 2 days ago and ran into unusually deep (for my location) sand in one of the washes; I had 4Hi lock engaged and still was going ahead quite poorly, even steering was problematic every once a while..I remember somewhere that turning traction control off would help? Or am I mistaken? I didn't disangage the TC because I didn't want to take any risk of getting completely stuck in the middle of nowhere, and although my vehicle moved ahead slower then usual it kept going. So TC on or off in deeper sand? Would it help to air-down (I know the answer I think..)?..
Old 02-13-2009, 01:43 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

The question of traction in sand is to absolutly air down for better performance. Leave the track control on and air down as much as you feel comfortable with without a on board air system.
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Hummer Guru

In sand I airdown to 18 sometimes 15 35 in deep sand you will get stuck.
If you apply brake tractions disabled .
I drove on a north shore beach (LI sound) and I didnt need to air down.On the south shore (ocean ) everyone airs down

Airdown valves come in handy.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 AM
Hummer Professional

no wonder I was getting uncomfortable...I had 38PSI. Maybe if I'd go down to some 25PSI I'd be still OK to drive home on the road - but it's a freeway at 70+MPH for some 40 miles.. well at least I know TC on is OK. That on-board compressor is really something to consider - maybe at least a portable unit that clamps to battery terminals would be blessing in such scenario.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:14 AM
Hummer Guru

The masterflow comes with battery clamps hose in a bag . check out pep boys or ebay. i think its around $60/$70
If the sands soft go down to at least 18psi
Old 02-13-2009, 05:01 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
The masterflow comes with battery clamps hose in a bag . check out pep boys or ebay. i think its around $60/$70
If the sands soft go down to at least 18psi

I see 3 models at Amazon:

Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor

Master Flow MF-1050 Tsunami High Volume Portable Air Compressor

Q Industries MF-1052 MasterFlow Q-Maxx Hi Volume Air Compressor

they are $62, $57 and $48, which one to order? The first one seems nice and is SUV & RV recommended..
Old 02-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Hummer Guru

There all the same compressor go with the lower priced one.
For the $$ the best compressor out there.
Pack it in the bag or mount it under the hood(easy install easy to remove)you have to drill a few holes in the fusebox cover($18.00 for a new cover if needed)
Link to installhttp://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5167&page=11&highlight=masterflow

I saw your wheeling pics up from time to time You should carry a compressor.
Mines been under the hood(the hose too in a clear dollar store bag stored behind battery toward firewall see pic)and its holding up great.

A few minutes from 18psi to 35psi.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:05 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
There all the same compressor go with the lower priced one.
For the $$ the best compressor out there.
Pack it in the bag or mount it under the hood(easy install easy to remove)you have to drill a few holes in the fusebox cover($18.00 for a new cover if needed)
Link to installhttp://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5167&page=11&highlight=masterflow

I saw your wheeling pics up from time to time You should carry a compressor.
Mines been under the hood(the hose too in a clear dollar store bag stored behind battery toward firewall see pic)and its holding up great.

A few minutes from 18psi to 35psi.

thanks for the link, I remember seeing it in the past. I think I'll order the compressor next week, it is extremely affordable - even if I wouldn't want to mount it under the hood, I can still have in the back of the truck, I always drive near empty (no cargo, no passengers) so I have space...
Old 02-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Hummer Guru

Its great out of the bag ,the clips for the battery are a good size(I used them for my second battery for my camper there was no room to mount it so I bring it when theres no AC power.)