H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Hummer Novice

kube1 is on a distinguished road
Default H3t/H3 Heated Mirror Mod

Before I start, let me say this. Princess Auto is your friend. If anyone here is from Canada then you probably know what Princess Auto is. Everything used in this guide may be purchased at Princess auto with the exception of the heating elements which I got from Canadian Tire.

***DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY!!!***
***ATTEMPT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!***
***I TAKE NO FAULT FOR YOUR F**K UPS!!!***

These are the heating elements. They are Kimpex Heat Grip Kits for motorcycles. I purchased 2 kits at $30 each. Each kit contains 2 elements. You could do this mod with one kit if you wanted but the mirrors are large enough to accommodate 2 elements each.

This is one of the elements out of the package. They are a peel and stick affair.

Remove the inner door trim.

Unplug the power mirror. There is a little clip holding the wire just inside the door. Pull it free.

I forgot to take a pic of removing the mirror glass. I'll add one tomorrow. After the glass is removed unbolt the mirror assembly from the door. There are 4 bolts. The window must be rolled down to do this. Then simply pull the mirror off the door.

Remove the 4 screws holding the mirror motor, unplug it and remove it.

Remove the 4 screws holding the mirror arm and remove the top cover.

Remove the smaller of the 2 covers on the arm. Take your time and don't break any clips. Then cut 2 lengths of wire about 3 feet long each and insert them through the arm the same as the motor wires.

The motor wire has a large rubber seal around it where it attaches to the door. Don't bother trying to squeeze the 2 wires through with the motor wires, you'll probably just wreck the wires. Instead, poke a hole in the rubber and feed the wires through that way.

Reinstall the mirror assembly to the door. Remember to make sure that seal is in properly. Feed the wires through with the motor wires. You will need to run one wire into the engine bay. I'm not going to suggest a method for this as everyone will have their own idea I'm sure. I will recommend using a fuse for each mirror. You could use the ground wire from the wiring harness for the door. I just grounded directly to the door.

I used 1/4" wire loom around all my wires and ran them along the wall over to the fuse box. This is for both sides.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Hummer Novice

Default Re: H3t/H3 Heated Mirror Mod

Use a heat gun to remove the mirror from its plastic plate. Get it quite hot. You will not need anything to pry it free. Doing so will most likely break it. The mirror is held on with 2 sides foam tape. When its hot enough it will come free. Be patient.

Remove the leftover tape from the plate with a your thumb. It will roll right off.

Clean all the residue from the mirror using alcohol or whatever you like. When its clean adhere the elements to mirror. I place mine above the lettersand slightly in on the passenger side. The drivers side is on center.

Drill holes in the plastic plate to feed the wires through.

Clean the plate with alcohol and use clear window grade silicone to glue the mirror back on.

Solder and heatshrink the 2 center wires together. I wired the mirror in series cut down the heat created. They get quite hot on their own.

Locate the fuse box under the hood in front of the battery. Remove the cover.

Remove the 2 nuts and pull away the 2 red wires they hold down. Unplug the 2 large plugs.

To remove the fuse block you must squeeze the tabs on either side and pull up on the small handles. It will pull straight out.

Underneath are 2 large connectors. Pull up on the center parts of the connectors until they click. If you don't they will not reseat properly when putting the fuse block back in. We will be modifying the connector closest to the fron of the box. It is held in by 3 tabs. Use a small screwdriver to pop the tabs free. When its free remove the bottom cover. It is held in place by 4 small tabs. It will pry free easily.

Last edited by kube1 : 01-14-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Hummer Novice

Default Re: H3t/H3 Heated Mirror Mod

This is the pin we want. It provides power to the rear defrost when activated. You could just splice the wires to this wire if you wanted. I popped the pin free and soldered both mirror wires to the bottom of the pin.

The wire you want is the large black one. The 2 smaller ones are the mirror wires soldered solder the big one.

If you are going to remove the pin it is locked in place. Pop the blue lock out with a small screwdriver and release the pin from the top by pushing on the tab holding it in place.

Use whatever plugs you like for the mirrors. I used molex connectors with heat shrink.

Lastly, I used dielectric grease on all my plugs to prevent corrosion. Plug your mirrors in and firmly push them straight on. They will pop into place.

I realize I am a few pics short. I will add them soon.

Last edited by kube1 : 01-14-2010 at 08:13 PM.