H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-31-2010, 01:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale
Default Another Torsion Bar Question...

Ok, its my turn to ask about the Torsion Bar Adjustment... I have done all the searches on here and its come down to Two main topics. One says adjust the TBars by cranking the bolts 2 1/2 turns clockwise. Another says to Crank the Tbars no more then 23.5"

Turning the bolts 2 1/2 time is easy to do but,,, how do you know that it comes out to 23.5 inches? It has been advised not to go over this as you may create issues on other components. How do you measure and where do you measure? I have seen pictures of who to Jack up the Truck and where the Tbar bolts are, but no pics or explanations on how and where to measure... Also what about this whole "Bump Stop" change issue I have also read about?

I am getting some 35" MT's put on and wanted to do the TBar adjustment first... So any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
2006 Yellow H3 Adventure Package with 35" Firestone Destination MT Tires, Torsion Bar Adjustment, Trail Duty Extended Bump Stops, Chrome Trim Package, XM radio, 6 Disc Monsoon Stereo, Marker Lights, Brush Guard, Chrome Nerf Bars.
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 01-31-2010, 02:32 AM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another Torsion Bar Question...

I believe that you're supposed to measure from the center of the wheel to the edge of the fender. My t-bars are at stock setting, and I have 22". When you crank your bars, you're also supposed to get different set (longer/extended) of shocks and bump stops, I think this is what you need:

http://www.trailduty.com/product_inf...roducts_id=765

Someone please corrects me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Hummer Authority

H3slate is on a distinguished road

You do need to crank your torsion bars. On average it will be about 2.5 turns. Always have the front end off the ground when you adjust the torsion bars. Try 2.5 turns and let your front tires back on the ground. Measure from the center of the front wheel to the lower edge of the fender. That is the measurement you are looking for.

You should remeasure after you have driven your truck for a week or so. The front end might settle a little and may need another crank on the t bar. Most people have been happy with just under 24". Most people have also been happy when they replaced the front shocks with the cognitos and got the 1/2" extended bumpstops. The bumpstops help prevent nose dive and the shocks are better suited to the suspension travel you now have.

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron

Old 01-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

Ok, I just did the adjustment and believe it or not it took me 4 cranks on the passenger side and 4 1/2 on the drivers side in order to get to around 23.5" - 23.75" (depending on how acurate my messurments are ) With the wheels down, it looks like there is about 1 1/2" gap on the bump stops. Can anyone tell me what the bump stop gaps should be if I get the extended Stops? or what size extended stops should I get???

Thanks,
2006 Yellow H3 Adventure Package with 35" Firestone Destination MT Tires, Torsion Bar Adjustment, Trail Duty Extended Bump Stops, Chrome Trim Package, XM radio, 6 Disc Monsoon Stereo, Marker Lights, Brush Guard, Chrome Nerf Bars.
www.centexhummerclub.com

Last edited by Guppy : 01-31-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Hummer Authority

Cool. That is not uncommon to have to do more on one side than the other. At stock ride height the front a arms actually rest on the bump stops. They are a big part of the ride quality of the front end. You should get the 1/2" extended bump stops. There were a couple of people who got the 1" stops and had them pop out on the trail. With the 1/2" stops they will be very close to resting on the a arms. Post some pics of your leveled ride!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3slate
Cool. That is not uncommon to have to do more on one side than the other. At stock ride height the front a arms actually rest on the bump stops. They are a big part of the ride quality of the front end. You should get the 1/2" extended bump stops. There were a couple of people who got the 1" stops and had them pop out on the trail. With the 1/2" stops they will be very close to resting on the a arms. Post some pics of your leveled ride!

Thanks for the info, and I will take some pics after I get my new tires on. In your opionion, do you think I really need to put on different front shocks?

Thanks,
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 02-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy
Thanks for the info, and I will take some pics after I get my new tires on. In your opionion, do you think I really need to put on different front shocks?

Thanks,

I ran with the stock shocks for awhile and it was not too bad. The biggest thing I noticed was the nose dive when braking. So if you are only going to do one thing right now, I would get the extended bump stops. The shocks could wait. Especially if you don't wheel.

What tires are you going to get?

Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

I got a Hell of a deal on some Firestone Destination M/T's 35x75x16. They were running a special sale and only had to pay a $1 over cost. Retail was $274ea and I got them for $133ea. Could have went for some of the popular ones that folks post on here but for the price I could not resist.

By the way, as far as the Bump Stops, is there a better brand then another?

Thanks,
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 02-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Hummer Authority

Oh, you were the one with the tires. I followed the link and they were still over 200 a tire.

Get the 1/2" bump stops from Trail Duty.

http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?cPath=112_119_447&products_id=764

Old 02-01-2010, 03:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

Quote:
Oh, you were the one with the tires. I followed the link and they were still over 200 a tire.

Get the 1/2" bump stops from Trail Duty.

http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?cPath=112_119_447&products_id=764

The Tire link was just to show folks what they looked like up close. This link was for Tire Rack and the sale was for Firestone. The picture on firestones website was a very small pic.

Thanks for the info on the stops... I will look at these. By the way, when you install these, do you need to take the wheels off or can you do it with them on...
www.centexhummerclub.com

Last edited by Guppy : 02-01-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

Quote:
You do need to crank your torsion bars. On average it will be about 2.5 turns. Always have the front end off the ground when you adjust the torsion bars. Try 2.5 turns and let your front tires back on the ground. Measure from the center of the front wheel to the lower edge of the fender. That is the measurement you are looking for.

You should remeasure after you have driven your truck for a week or so. The front end might settle a little and may need another crank on the t bar. Most people have been happy with just under 24". Most people have also been happy when they replaced the front shocks with the cognitos and got the 1/2" extended bumpstops. The bumpstops help prevent nose dive and the shocks are better suited to the suspension travel you now have.

H3slate,

I was re-reading you post on where to measure for the proper height and just wanted to make sure we are on the same page.... you mention to measure from the wheel / hub center to the lower ledge of the fender. I measured from the center of the hub straight up to the fender.

Just want to make sure we are talking about the same place...

Thanks,
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 02-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Hummer Authority

Thats right. Sorry if my wording was confusing.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

Had me worried for a sec But I thought you may have mis-typed. So after driving all day today I am a little over 23" and it looks like the bump stops are around 1/2 - 1" from the arms. Does this sound right on the bump stop gaps? and you think I should get the 1/2" extended stops?

Thanks again...
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 02-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy
Had me worried for a sec But I thought you may have mis-typed. So after driving all day today I am a little over 23" and it looks like the bump stops are around 1/2 - 1" from the arms. Does this sound right on the bump stop gaps? and you think I should get the 1/2" extended stops?

Thanks again...

That sounds right on the gap. I would still get the 1/2" extended stops.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

Thanks so much for all your help. I just ordered some off ebay. Do you have a set on yours? If so, did you take the wheels off to install them?
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 02-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Hummer Authority

I did just to make it easier to access. The old ones will come out fairly easily. The new ones will take some work to get in.

I have the 1/2" bump stops and the bilstein cognito shocks up front. My front end is almost level with the rear and the measurement from wheel center to fender is 33.75".

Last edited by H3slate : 02-02-2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

Quote:
I did just to make it easier to access. The old ones will come out fairly easily. The new ones will take some work to get in.

I have the 1/2" bump stops and the bilstein cognito shocks up front. My front end is almost level with the rear and the measurement from wheel center to fender is 33.75".

Didnt you mean 23.75 as 33 would be way to high...
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 02-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Hummer Authority

Sorry, typo. It is 23.