H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 04-12-2010, 03:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

PA-H3 is on a distinguished road
Default H3 Towing & trans cooling

I searched the forum for awhile with no real concrete answers...

I'm going to be getting a summerland 1790QB trailer http://keystone-summerland.com/index...=&model=1790QB . Now the shipping weight is 3850#s. Some people say they don't have issues others do say they have issues with this type of weight. I really want some good answers please.

Also I saw a thread about the trans coolers. saying check the front of the radiator. I didn't see one myself on mine. I do have the towing package. Anybody put one on? does this void warrenty? agian serious answers only please.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdsq99f4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: H3 Towing & trans cooling

H3's have only the typical trans cooler in the radiator. You can always add an aftermarket one if you want. The 5 cylinder may have to work pretty hard to tow something that heavy though. They're not the most potent engines.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Im at 65,000 miles about 9,000 towing .
My camper is 3,300 lbs unloaded ,i figure add at least 500 -600 lbs for water and supplys so apx 3,900 lbs max.
Its 7 feet wide its a 2007 fun finder 189fbs 19 foot they say.
Mine is measured from back to front ball ?
My dad has a 19 foot 8 foot wide comes in 500 lbs more then mine and when side by side it is at least 3 foot longer(his is measured from front of trailer to back) Dad uses a weight dist hitch with 2 rod/chain type swaybars(a pain to put on)
loaded he is close to max towing rating of 4,500 lbs on his honda pilot(same as H3) where im coming in at under 4,000 lbs.
Your trailer is more like my dads.
He gets 10 mpg with hills and 11 mpg mostly flat.
I get 11 1/2 mpg hills 12 1/2 to 13 mpg flat.
I bought a wind deflector and got a increase of 1 1/2 mpg hills 2 mpg flat.
I recomend getting one.
(JC whitney)

I recomend with your hitchweight of almost 500 lbs you use a weight dis hitch with double sway bars..
My hitch weight is only 290 lbs.
I have a aftermarket hitch(below bumper) with a 2 inch drop with a friction type swaybar on the right side only.
If you have a factory hitch you need a 4 inch drop.
Also my camper sits closer to truck then his.(If backing up I have to be carefull not to angle to the right to much or my hitch jack hit my tire cover,I upgraded to a electric jack because if unhooking when not lined up straight the handle on the jack would rub against tire cover)

When on flat ground you dont even know the campers back there.( drives like a dream)
On long hills like the ones on my ny to nm trip(5,000 miles)
It kinda lugs up the hills.And hard on the truck
You cannot hold 60/70 mph without hard downshifts to second.(yes i tried manually putting shifter in 3rd,same as leaving in drive ,OD seames to kick in and out fine)
I find if I bring it down to 50 mph its not so bad and if at 50 mph it goes down to 2 nd its revin at 4,000 rpms.(not to bad)
At 60/70 mph it has a hard downshift and reves at 5,000 to 5,500 rpms(not good)

I had no tranny issues YET.
Im doing the same 5,000 mile trip in june and feel comfortable it will have no issues(I hope)

You might have more problems coming in at 500 lbs more weight and being a foot wider and 3 feet longer.

Thats 25% heavier and 12 1/2 % wider and about 20 % longer.
Thats why I bought the fun finder, it has a 20 inch X 6 foot slider that makes the inside wider in the middle.

Name:  h3trailer street.JPG
Views: 2126
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  wing front.JPG
Views: 1468
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  trailer inside PB.JPG
Views: 1859
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  trailer inside tv.JPG
Views: 1357
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  hitch back.JPG
Views: 1637
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  hitch plug back.JPG
Views: 1868
Size:  33.5 KB
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.

Last edited by fourfourto : 04-18-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Elcova Newbie

zzpw3x is on a distinguished road

I'm going to try towing a similar camper but probably ~300# more.

I'm interested in the wind deflector that you discussed. Did that improve the gas mileage to what you stated above, or was that in addition.

Also, is it in the pics? I see something, but smaller than I expected and still provide a gas mileage improvement.

Thanks,

Dale
Old 04-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Hummer Guru

the deflector in the one pic.
its about 4 feet wide.
11.5 avg on my NM trip lots of hills
12.5 avg upstate some hills
13 flat ground.
That before the deflector.

I get a good 1.5 mpg better now with the deflector maybe up to 2 and notice its a little smoother going up those long steady hills.

Heres another pic from the side.
the 2nd one is in the down position for not towing, they recomend about apx 15 degrees when not towing so it doesnt cause lift
apx 45 when towing.
It comes with rain gutter hooks to mount at door opening.
I have it further back and use the roof rail tabs for mounting ,its a cleaner look.Name:  wing side.JPG
Views: 3352
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  wing down.JPG
Views: 1642
Size:  29.0 KB
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.

Last edited by fourfourto : 04-21-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Hummer Guru

I was going to list a link for the deflector but Jc Whitney discontinued it ?.
I got mine on sale for about $125.00.+ free shipping coupon
Im suprised because they have it in current catalog and its been in there for 20+ years.
I seen some on ebay
they also have other ones for much more $$$
Mine is 48 inches wide was white and is adjustable.

Last edited by fourfourto : 04-21-2010 at 06:49 PM.