H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-03-2006, 12:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

Is anyone aware of a front diff locker coming out in the near future? I have asked ARB and the guy I talked to said they were concerned about diff failures so he didn’t think they would make one.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

Is anyone aware of a front diff locker coming out in the near future? I have asked ARB and the guy I talked to said they were concerned about diff failures so he didn’t think they would make one.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ketcat:
Is anyone aware of a front diff locker coming out in the near future? I have asked ARB and the guy I talked to said they were concerned about diff failures so he didn’t think they would make one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Call the folks at Eaton....
Old 01-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

FYI:

Eaton and ARB both said they were not going to produce a front locker for the H3 because the differential is to small and they are concerned about reliability.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

The front diff is, I believe a 7.5 inch, which is really not that small. But if Eaton and ARB says it is, then maybe there will be a larger one if GM puts a V8 under the hood.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd like to see one under there. In my opinion, this one thing needs to be done to the H3. I think the problem is though that parts breakage would ensue and it'd cost too much. I'm curious as to how many problems the Jeep and Dodge guys are having. A lot of Rubicons and Powerwagons I've seen though appear to never have been taken off road.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:50 PM

NJH3 is off the scale

Discalimer
"I love the H3 and am currently losing my mind waiting for my lease to end on the old lady's minivan in 4 months so I can buy one!"

It's just my opinion, based on owning several Jeeps with a lot of mods in the past...

The typical Dana 30 front axle on a Jeep is a Dana 30 which is close to 7.5" Diameter for the ring gear, but the axle housing is Cast Iron,and a solid axle so it will hold up with a locker turning 33's and 35's pretty well.

The Jeep Liberty uses a D30 carrier, but it is an aluminum housing and IFS, similar to what is in the H3. Ther have been numerous failures of this aluminum housing from wheeling with a Locker, to the point that the housing itslef broke into multiple piecesout on the trail.

This is "probably" the reason for the concern. The aluminum housing with half shafts in the IFS setup could probably not handle turning 33's and 35's with a full locker installed.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

I got the feeling there were 2 issues:

1. They were concerned about the ring gear and parts breakage.
2. The diff housing is small and the guy at ARB said they had issues with the actuator.

I’m not sure I really buy it though. Maybe they are just waiting to see if there is demand and how many H3’s are built. I think we need to keep e mailing them because they make lockers for the diff’s listed below which are similar in size.

Dana 30 = 7.2” ring gear
Dana 35 = 7.56” ring gear
Suzuki Sidekick IFS

ETC………. Maybe it’s just a matter of time.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

NJH3
I agree about the size and strength of the H3 front diff but I am willing to take the chance. I’m sure the traction control and left foot braking is not very good on the front diff either, in fact I would think that a locker would be easier on the diff than the T/C provided the driver was using their brain and not only their right foot.

I'm going to keep looking for a front locker, more front wheel travel and will put 35's on it soon.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
The front diff is, I believe a 7.5 inch, which is really not that small. But if Eaton and ARB says it is, then maybe there will be a larger one if GM puts a V8 under the hood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, i wish i knew what you did. i can see your post is a few months. "That's old news." "V8, LOCKER, New front diff, H3 Alpha," "It's old news."
Old 01-09-2006, 01:41 AM

Grandman is off the scale

I suspect at some point a new carrier and all will become avalible for the H3 . Some after market unit with the cast housing and locker ready to drop in .

I also guess it will be exspensive .
Old 01-09-2006, 02:59 AM
Hummer Professional

nmikes is off the scale

Actually went wheeling with the ARB regional sales rep and this question came up. The problem is that ARB is out of Melbourne Australia and given the geography they are always going to be a bit behind the trends here in North America. Aside from that until their research and development department get their hands on a 3... building and testing is going to be difficult. Also heard that the military humvees had/have a problem snapping the half shaft axles when they locked the front, specially trying to make a sharp turn. I think that if you are in a straight line you'd be okay, but until there is a solid axle conversion kit available you might be cashing in on alot of trouble.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:41 AM

cherokeekid is off the scale

Pretty much same thing everyone has said; the ring gear is far from an issue, the housing and half shafts make it undersirable from a manufactuting standpiont. With the ARB most products are derived from the Aussie market (not sure how many H3's are down under). Bear in mind the Liberty uses the same D30 carrier that has been used since CJ times so it wasen't actually made with IFS in mind, just happens to fit.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to swap out a 1/2 IFS center chunk. the front suspension cradle would probably need to be dropped to make room (a lift kit owuld provide the drop) course by the time you did all that you might as well drop in a Solid Axle

What is the designation for the front diff in the H3? are aftermarket gears available?