H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-05-2006, 02:31 AM

NJH3 is off the scale

I realize that the locker comes with the offroad package and I believe that the gear ratio is 4.56 with the pkg vs the 4.10 in the stock setup.

Can I order the rear locker and then pay to have the 4.10's installed on the carrier and set the ring and pinion back up? Or is the carrier that the locker uses only good for the 4.56's.

I'm comfortable with Dana 44's and Dana 60's and the carrier splits, setups, etc, but don't have a lot of knowledge on the Hummer's 10 Bolt.

Any help and or corrections would be appreciated.

And before anyone just asks why not get the package and be done with it, most of my wheeling is done in swamps and muddy trails vs. rock crawling, so I need the wheel spin and don't need the lower 4:1 T Case. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:31 AM

NJH3 is off the scale

I realize that the locker comes with the offroad package and I believe that the gear ratio is 4.56 with the pkg vs the 4.10 in the stock setup.

Can I order the rear locker and then pay to have the 4.10's installed on the carrier and set the ring and pinion back up? Or is the carrier that the locker uses only good for the 4.56's.

I'm comfortable with Dana 44's and Dana 60's and the carrier splits, setups, etc, but don't have a lot of knowledge on the Hummer's 10 Bolt.

Any help and or corrections would be appreciated.

And before anyone just asks why not get the package and be done with it, most of my wheeling is done in swamps and muddy trails vs. rock crawling, so I need the wheel spin and don't need the lower 4:1 T Case. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:45 AM

daddyo is off the scale

I think it is a standard GM 10-bolt rear end.

I am pretty darn sure you can get an ARB for it
and keep your ratio.

Andrew
Old 01-05-2006, 03:04 AM

NJH3 is off the scale

Thanks. I was kinda hoping to stay away from the ARB, compressor and air line setup and stick with the E locker.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Locker, and non-locker rear ends are all 4.56:1.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point

NJH3: Please keep us up to date on what you will do. I am too interested in such an idea. I had contacted the folks at PowerMax a couple of weeks back but they don't have anything for the H3 (yet?).
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 01-05-2006, 11:22 PM

NJH3 is off the scale

f5fstop,

I'm slow so bear with me. Your saying that all axle ratios offered on the H3 weather they have the offroad pkg or not are geared as 4.56? I was under the impression that the std. came with 4.10's and 32" tires and the pkg. came with 4.56's and 33" tires.

If this is still true and there is no locker available for the 4.10 gear set, guess I'll need to check with Richmond gear and their compeitiors to see if there is a set of 4.10's that fit the E locker carrier in the 8.6".

Please clarify for me, if possible.

Thank you all for the info.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:35 AM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are correct as far as I know NJ. The dealership can let you know for sure as far as ordering a locker in the 4.10 but I don't think so.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I meant that I had contacted the PowerTrax people (Richmond) and did not get help with it. Now if one goes with the ARB, which "spline" 28 or 30?
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 01-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Hummer Guru

According to all build sheets I have seen, all H3s come with a 4:56 rear end; regardless.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Fstop, find one with a standard transmission. For some reason, off the top of my head, I thought this was the distinguishing factor. Standard tranny had the 4.10s and Autos had 4.56 but, regardless which is which, I do believe there is/were two axle ratios available.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:05 AM

Grandman is off the scale

They do come with 4:10 gears as well , even in the off road package you can get 4:10

I drove one and could feel the lack of power much more with 4:10's in it .

I do know what you mean about wheel spin . I keep reading looking for the secret to over ride the locker kick out at 20 mph . I know they do it on the Rubicon e locker so im sure you can on the H3 as well .
Old 01-10-2006, 03:41 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it does kick out at 20mph.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
Fstop, find one with a standard transmission. For some reason, off the top of my head, I thought this was the distinguishing factor. Standard tranny had the 4.10s and Autos had 4.56 but, regardless which is which, I do believe there is/were two axle ratios available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just went into the GM system, and a manual non-adventure series, auto adventure series (mine) and an auto non-adventure series all show 4:56 rear end. I cannot seem to locate a mnaual with an off-road package. Then again, I'm just running through VINs and playing peek and seek.
If we have access to our computers today (thank you EDS ), I will run a parts check. It will list all the rear end gear ratios available. But so far, I have never seen any mention of a 4:10 gear in the H3.
Maybe, they released a different gear late in the game, but the order sheets show no option for the rear end, other than a locker with the adventure series.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:49 PM

NJH3 is off the scale

Thanks f5fstop!

If they are all 4.56, (man I hope so!) then retrofittling the elocker carrier combined with the std. T-case ratio will give me the gearing and traction options I'm looking to run.

I am no Hummer expert and I'm not even sure where I read about the 4.10's, I think it was on a tire size thread on the site, so I may have misunderstood or misinterpreted.

At the end of the day... I'm just looking to get the Elocker and 4.56's without the 4:1 T case. That will be a good setup to run a set of 33's in the swamps for me.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Hummer Guru

There are two axle assemblies offered for Hummer H3s, and both are 4:56 ratios. Part number 15822875 is the non-off-road package, 15822876 is the off-road package (with the Eaton locker set). Both axles are manufactured by AAM. Rear axle is an 8.5” axle.

If GM produces a 4:10 gearing, they would have to list it in the parts catalog for possible warranty or non-warranty replacement.

So, just to set this subject aside, I contacted the engineer in charge of axles, and it is verified that GM offers only ONE axle ratio for the H3; and that gear ratio is 4.56:1.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:17 PM

NJH3 is off the scale

Sweet ! Thanks for the confirmation. This will make it easy to get the gearing / locker options
needed after purchase of the Base model.