H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

NJHummerGuy is off the scale

Hello all....well just came back from dealer today....I have a noise in left front when making a hard left turn only...after sitting in the dealer for 4 hours, they said that this is normal for the traction control system to do this.....
My question is, does anyone else have this? if this is the traction control shouldn't it happen on a hard right hand turn as well?

What does the rub sound like? It sounds like you run your had up a set of blinds or a branch is rubbing the inside of the rim......

Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hello all....well just came back from dealer today....I have a noise in left front when making a hard left turn only...after sitting in the dealer for 4 hours, they said that this is normal for the traction control system to do this.....
My question is, does anyone else have this? if this is the traction control shouldn't it happen on a hard right hand turn as well?

What does the rub sound like? It sounds like you run your had up a set of blinds or a branch is rubbing the inside of the rim......

Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Waxing is off the scale

I can't help you with what the noise is ,but I can tell you my H3 dose not make that noise.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

Find another dealer to look at it. I don't have that noise either.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

I plan on going to a different dealer on next service and see what I can find. I have been trying to use the dealer that I bought from......will try another one in the area.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Traction control system? Have the dealer explain how the traction control system can make a noise when it is not active. The TC system is only active if it senses wheel slippage without brake pedal input.
If any wheel was slipping during a hard left, it would be the right, since the weight is all on the left. If the right wheel was slipping the TC will first reduce engine power (retard timing, shut off injectors) and as a last resort apply the right front brake.
I agree with Mike E, find another dealer. I don't remember hearing a sound like this in mine, but I'll try and remember to turn down the XM and listen tomorrow AM.

Do you have your foot on the brake pedal? Remember, the brake system is charged by a high-pressure accumulator and motor, and sometimes when you have applied the brakes the motor gears up to charge the accumulator. No weaselly vacuum assist for our H3s.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

The traction control makes a noise when it is attempting to stop a wheel from spinning. The TC uses the brakes and ABS system, so the sound is kind of like when you stop and the ABS engages.

My H3 makes a noise (thump that can be heard and even felt in the floor) in the left front when I turn right under braking. The dealer could not duplicate so I will go back and take them for a ride.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

I am not hitting the brakes at all.....Best place that I can duplicate is in a parking garage....

If going up it is all left turns.....when I am doing the hard lefts and then hitting the gas and unturning the wheel, the noise is heard.....

Time to go to another dealer.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Hummer Guru

Let me throw something out; and please remember, I am not there to hear the noise or see the conditions.
Does it only happen in a parking garage? Is the floor epoxy coated? I know the parking garage I was in a few weeks ago had epoxy coated floors; actually slippery when walking.
If you are sharply turning left, the right wheel might slip on the epoxy coated floor, and at that slow of a speed, if the traction control system becomes active, it will probably just apply the right front brake (engine management is one part of the TC system, but I don't believe it would be kicked in at such a low speed).
If it is the TC kicking in, it will apply the brake to the right front wheel; HOWEVER, the brake pressure modulator valve assembly is on the left side of the vehicle. When the modulator valve assembly operates it can give a ratcheting sound.
This sound might be heard better in an enclosed area such as a parking garage.
One way to test it is if you can always duplicate the sound in the parking garage, try it with the TC turned off. If the sound remains, it is not the TC system, if the sound goes away, it is the TC system.
If you have an automatic, just hold the TC button in for five seconds, and the DIC will display a message saying the stabilitrak is turn off, and so will be the TC system. If a manual, just press the button to turn off the TC.
I actually drove around the parking lot this morning in circles seeing if I could duplicate the sound, and I couldn't. But I was on rough concrete.
Just some weird ideas from the Pot Hole State.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

I did exactly that today when going in to the office....I cut the Trac System and didn't hear it....but, i can go in a parking lot and do the same thing.....also.....it seems just to make it more strange that if I have trac control on and go over some bumps i can hear a quiet version of it....when I cut the trac control I do not hear it.
Am I nuts in thinking that there is issue? I would think that if it was normal others would hear it as well.....

Also....in the snow we had a few weeks back I went to the 4high lock....when I went back to normal 4 the noise was gone then has come back after about a week......not sure if going between the 4x4 modes matters...or just something to make it more confusing...

Thanks for the info f5...always great to get help.....does anything I said above make it any more clear or is it as clear as mud?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Hummer Guru

Have to remember, I like probably the majority here, are riding around with the radio up, and let's not forget I'm old and due to being in 'Nam, am partially deaf in one year.
The other thing is except for the one parking garage I was in a few weeks ago at Vanderbilt, I have not driven under the same conditions.
Your last paragraph does confuse me (it is early too), can't understand why going from lock to non-lock would do anything with the TC, it should work in all condtions.
Let me think about it, but right now I seem to be stumped.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Hummer Veteran

F5...thanks for the early reply.....ok...just to add one more thing. I did it again today in parking garage with trac turned off......same noise......also did it last night in a parking lot......just normal pavement, same thing...so it is not just in parking garages........the parking garage is where I do the sharpest left....
Old 01-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

phantom2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

fstop..We're all old and deaf now.I knew there was something about you I liked.."Welcome Home",brother.Here's a little something for ya'
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NJHummerGuy:
F5...thanks for the early reply.....ok...just to add one more thing. I did it again today in parking garage with trac turned off......same noise......also did it last night in a parking lot......just normal pavement, same thing...so it is not just in parking garages........the parking garage is where I do the sharpest left.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then I would say it is not the TC system, and the original reply is valid...look for another dealer, or go back to the original dealer and ask him how it can happen if the TC is turned off. I would love to hear that explanation.

phantom2
Thanks but I have a set of those myself, along with quite a few other ones, and Service Ribbon has 4 stars...yes, I was young and stupid.
In fact, I went back as a civilian for a year and worked for an air transport service; won't mention the name.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

F5....I think I am going to try my dealer again just to see response when I say that I still get it with out traction control. :-)

Thanks for all the help F5.....Will post resolution when I get back to dealer with it.