H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-23-2012, 04:24 AM
Hummer Professional

H2Much is on a distinguished road
Default Solve to Power Problem!!

Finally, a solution to the battery power drain! No more problems, no getting stranded anywhere with a dead battery!
Sweet looking H2 with not enough mods (2003 Pewter H2, 20" Rockstars, 40"x15.5" Toyo MT's, E&G Extended Flares, Full body tube steel exoskeleton, 5" Skyjacker lift, Amp Research steps, Gobi Roofrack and ladders, Smoked LED's, AFe CAI, Dynatech long tubes and cats, Magnaflow exhaust, Stock tune, 4.88 gears, Chrome Grenade Shifter, interior blacked out, rear captains chairs, Solar Power!!)
Old 07-23-2012, 06:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

SMITH23H2SUT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Solve to Power Problem!!

Is this a kit or did you have to fabricate the hood mount for the solar-panel?Great idea in order for an unlimited power source if you get stranded in the Outback. Battery will not last forever and a permanent solar set-up would be awsome. I'd probably go with the YETI 1250 Solar Generator and mount the dual Boulder 30's in the stock tonneau cover.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The GOAL ZERO stuff is tough!
I heard you could run over the Solar Panel and it still works!

Old 07-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

wow, cool pic.. but uhhhh..

how about some information on the product?

how many amps/watt
kit or did you DIY the plstic mounting and what not.
does this charge just your battery, or running a 2nd batt?

i do like it though, and very ingenius. im not sure how much power it puts out to be practical though. im sure for just a trickle charge, it easily covers that, and prolly cell phone charging.
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 07-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Definitely...more info please.

It looks like a Goal Zero Boulder 15 panel.
https://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/20//3:2/

I'd bet it was a fab job on the mount...but it looks good. Very interesting idea!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road

Looks cool...but I gotta ask what kind of power issues were you having? If its something significant enough to kill a battery overnight or w/ in a few days- I'm skeptical that panel will have enough charging power to keep a full charge...It will offset the draw, but how much?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Hummer Professional

Yes, it is a Boulder 15, 15 watts of continuous power. Working on getting the Yeti now and adding a could more panels so that I can have some serious power in the back for outdoors stuff as they can really produce some serious power. My buddy is the marketing exec for Goal Zero, so he hooked me up with everything including the charge control that regulates the power to the battery at 12V.

For those of you who have not had the power problem yet, it usually starts when you add any aftermarket accessory, typically an aftermarket stereo or alarm system. No one can seem to figure it out, but some ghost comes along and sucks the battery life out of your battery over time until your battery is dead and charged so many times that it finally craps out. Been to so many mechanics and through 5-6 batteries now, nobody can figure it out. Anyway, now I am good to go and will have unlimited power!!

Details: Took a hood louver that I had, had it cut to fit the panel inside. Caution - you have to cut the area out and then put it in the hood to see the angle that the panel needs to be to fit against the bottom of the hood for it to fit. The panel will not fit flush, it has to be angled upward slightly to clear the bottom of the hood part that is under the louver. The rest is just fiberglassing it in and then Rhino lining it. To deal with weather, you have to Rhino line or Linex it. Tried to do it with just fiberglass, but that cracked the first day sitting out in the sun due to the heat.

My stereo guy made mine, so I could see what he would charge to bust out a few more if anyone was super interested. I just don't think you can put a price on free power, especially if you are rocking some serious aftermarket stuff like lights, power steps, and a ghost battery draw, etc. Either way, let me know as I may be able to get a discount set up to get the Goal Zero stuff for my peeps here on the forum.
Sweet looking H2 with not enough mods (2003 Pewter H2, 20" Rockstars, 40"x15.5" Toyo MT's, E&G Extended Flares, Full body tube steel exoskeleton, 5" Skyjacker lift, Amp Research steps, Gobi Roofrack and ladders, Smoked LED's, AFe CAI, Dynatech long tubes and cats, Magnaflow exhaust, Stock tune, 4.88 gears, Chrome Grenade Shifter, interior blacked out, rear captains chairs, Solar Power!!)
Old 07-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Much
My buddy is the marketing exec for Goal Zero, so he hooked me up with everything including the charge control that regulates the power to the battery at 12V. :

are you saying your taking the 14-16 volt output from the solar charger and dropping that down to 12 volt max to charge?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Hummer Professional

Yep, it is just sending power down to a charge control, which then regulates the power for a 12V setup. It can do a 14V-16V output with a different charge control unit. Basically, the charge control will allow power back to the battery once it drops under 12V, but once it is back to 12V, it shuts off the power to the battery. Nice setup, just plug and play.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Hummer Expert

Did you take an amp/volt reading w/ everything hooked up to see what its actually charging? I'm curious how close to the advertised output it is.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Hummer Professional

PaHumBug is on a distinguished road

I have a solar panel on the dock for my boat. The controller is basically a battery tender, but it uses the sun instead of a plug. It also keeps the panel from drawing power from the battery when it's dark out.